News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MrJNLong

Member Name: MrJNLong
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 28 2024, 02:57:10 PM

Various Thoughts (sorry, it's long!):

BEST MUSICAL: Nominators have a better track record than voters at remembering closed shows, but could two closed shows get in? Going strictly by the best reviewed shows, you'd have to admit the 5 nominees should be Illinoise, Here Lies Love, Wine & Roses, Suffs, and Hells Kitchen. But will both HLL & DoW&R get in? Seems lofty.  I would love to see The Outsiders here as it was my personal favorite of the season.  Perso

2024 Lucille Lortel Awards  Apr 6 2024, 11:58:00 PM

I'm assuming that since there is nothing in here for Here We Are or The Effect, that The Shed is not elligible for these particular awards?

Do I assume correctly? I can't imagine they'd just completely blank out Here We Are...

Jamie Lloyd's revival of THE EFFECT to play The Shed (w/ Paapa Essiedu & Taylor Russell)  Mar 28 2024, 11:34:22 AM

Hey so I made an error.  I'm coming into the city this week to see this and a few other things. I never bought these tickets because it wasn't close to sold out so it wasn't on my radar.  But now I went to buy them and they're sold out for the rest of the run. Woops.

I can't find any info anywhere on standing room or rush or lottery or anything.  Does any know any other ways of getting into this show?

2023-2024 Broadway Season  Jan 22 2024, 07:02:19 PM

I love having this full list compiled on page 1 of this thread. Especially in a season like this where so much is coming in the spring. Thanks for keeping it updated.

For Tony purposes though, shouldn't Gutenberg move down to your Musical Revivals list?

APPROPRIATE Previews  Dec 18 2023, 01:08:19 AM

Strange question:

So how do you pronounce the title of this play?

With a long a sound in the last syllable, like the verb? As in "Please do not appropriate my culture."

Or like the adjective? As in "That is not an appropriate outfit for this occasion."

Every time I go to say the title of this play out loud, I stumble and second guess myself...

Would Heather Headley Have Won the Tony if She Had Opened in THE COLOR PURPLE?  Dec 11 2023, 01:02:35 AM

Oh gosh Headley was very very good. So was Goldsberry. Yikes. Thats close.  And I bet the voting would have been close.  If it were me, I would probably have voted for Headley, but since she already had a Tony, I bet that would have tipped the scales a bit towards REG and she would still have won. Who knows though, since these things can be so much about narrative...

As for choreography, I was very glad they gave it to Hamilton.  It was the one I was hoping they would ge

Poll: Best and Worst Broadway Show of 2023?  Dec 10 2023, 09:49:40 PM

BESTMerrily We Roll Along. I've always loved this show and felt that it worked in many previous iterations as well. But in this production, it worked the best.  Glad to see others finally feeling the Merrily love :-)

WORST: The Shark is Broken. I can't fully explain it, but sitting through this play made me angry. Maybe I was having a bad day, but I found this so dull and pointless and inept all at the same tim

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/15/23  Oct 17 2023, 11:04:35 PM

"Um"

Yup, I see it now. Woops.  Edited it...

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/15/23  Oct 17 2023, 10:27:46 PM

Wow.

Two Sondheim musicals in the Top 5 grossing shows on Broadway this week...and a third completely new Sondheim show opening Off-Broadway this weekend.

Never thought I'd ever say that sentence...

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Jul 10 2023, 06:35:46 PM

So I noticed that in 3 of its final 4 weeks of performances, Parade is doing 9 performances a week. Does anyone know if any of those performances are officially slotted for understudies or alternates already? The website doesn't say anything that I can find, so I am assuming not, but wondered if anyone else knew any more info about these final weeks (particularly the additional Sunday evening shows)

The Comeuppance @ Signature  Jul 1 2023, 10:11:31 PM

So....

Can I request some pretty major spoilers?

I was at the show tonight, but they canceled the performance about half-way through because when the actor playing Paco slammed the door on his way inside the house (during his war flashback), the doorframe got lodged out of place and they decided to cancel the show because of it.

And I was really loving it.  And leaving town tomorrow, so can't see it next week. And I'm assuming the script isn't published y

PRIMA FACIE Rush/Lottery  Jun 25 2023, 05:44:19 PM

Any updates on the in-person rush for this final week?

Are they still only selling 10 tickets per performance?

How early are people getting there?

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Off-Broadway Reviews  Jun 25 2023, 01:42:57 PM

What is the rush policy for this show? I can't find one on the website or anywhere else. Are they still doing a rush?

There do not seem to be any cheap options for tickets out there for this. Even standing room is $122 on the website.  That is the largest amount I've ever seen for standing tickets...crazy!

EDIT: Nevermind, found the digital rush on todaytix.  Still though, those $122 standing tickets are the highest Ive ever seen for standing room...

WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions  Mar 19 2023, 03:22:29 PM

The biggest reason there were so many ties last year resulting in more nominees was because so many people from the nominating committee had to recuse themselves because they missed  a key performance or show (because of canceled shows and understudies...usually due to COVID), therefore there were less people voting on nominees (and more of a statistical chance for a tie).

I don't think we will see so many ties this year.  We will be operating with a full nominating commi

THE COLLABORATION Reviews & Extension  Dec 21 2022, 11:41:38 AM
TDF just informed me that my tickets for Friday evening have been refunded...
INTO THE WOODS - NEW CAST EXTENSION  Sep 22 2022, 09:34:08 PM

Hmmmm

Still no new blood in the Jack role?

Come on, someone's gotta want to get their hands on that...

Why were there six nominees for Best Musical in 2022  Sep 18 2022, 05:43:07 PM

Additionally, because so many members of the nominating committee had to recuse themselves this year (because of not seeing everything because of COVID cancellations and other factors), the pool of nominators was significantly smaller…thus raising the chances that two shows would receive the same number of votes, especially when you’re getting down to 4th and 5th place. I assume this was a big factor that led to so many categories having “extra” nominations this year

2022 Tony Awards Predictions  May 5 2022, 04:21:06 PM

That's a really good question.  There is a really good argument for each of them. Although Adams and Williams have the larger roles, they're not as showy as the other two. That's a really tough call.  I would maybe say Williams and Ferguson???

Final Tony Eligibility Rulings?  May 5 2022, 03:43:00 PM

jkcohen626 said: "MrJNLong said: "Also excited to see Gabby Beans in lead although I think she would have been a lock in featured...this might be a little more difficult to break into..."

Lock for a nomination or for a win? I think she'd be very likely to be nominated in either, but IDK about her chances of winning.

I meant lock for a nomination. But I think that she would have been a very likely win in Featured.  Now she is in Lead

2022 Tony Awards Predictions  May 5 2022, 03:31:20 PM

JBroadway, those are my exact thoughts re: Lead Actress in a Play.  Really hoping Beans and Davis both make it in...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You