News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:03pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 7/21/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE WHO'S TOMMY (11.6%), ILLINOISE (5.4%), THE WIZ (5.1%), MJ THE MUSICAL (3%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (2.7%), HOME (2.3%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (2.2%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (2.2%), THE LION KING (1.9%), WICKED (1.8%), HADESTOWN (0.7%), HAMILTON (0.7%), HELL'S KITCHEN (0.3%), THE OUTSIDERS (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE NOTEBOOK (-3.2%), & JULIET (-2.5%), CHICAGO (-1.5%), SUFFS (-1.4%), ALADDIN (-1.2%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (-0.7%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.4%), THE GREAT GATSBY (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:12pm

Happy to see "Oh, Mary" in the millionaire club! 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:15pm

And breaking the Lyceum's house record, to boot, which was previously held by A Strange Loop, at $955,591.

Updated On: 7/23/24 at 01:15 PM

gibsons2
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:16pm

I know the capacity is still high, but is Cabaret kind of... fizzling out? I thought it would've be a juggernaut  :

MrJNLong
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:23pm

Really neat to see 3 plays grossing a million or above (I'm going to round up Stereophonic slightly for purposes of this comment haha), none of which have any star casting. That's cool.

Also, I am genuinely surprised The Notebook is at the lower end of the new musicals this year. Its the one I hear most about from young kids (Im a teacher) on TikTok and such. So many people are familiar with Joy Woods and her song because of social media I guess. I don't know myself, as Im not on TikTok so I dont know exactly what that means, but Im surprised that hasn't translated into more ticket sales.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:26pm

Strong ending for TommyHome went largely unnoticed its entire run.

Nice to see the newly extended Oh, Mary! crack the million club, which isn’t common at all with plays. 

The Notebook is *trying* to push through the rest of the summer + fall, but we’ll see how that goes. 

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:30pm

gibsons2 said: "I know the capacity is still high, but is Cabaret kind of... fizzling out? I thought it would've bea juggernaut :"

Watch them go the Little Shop route, keep stunt casting the two leads, and run for years. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/23/24 at 01:30 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:30pm

I don't mean this in a catty way but I literally forgot The Notebook still exists and is open. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/23/24 at 01:30 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:33pm

I knew Oh Mary was doing very well, but I genuinely am surprised by it cracking 1mil! That’s incredible

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:33pm

Good on “Home” for ending strong at almost $30 a ticket. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:36pm

“Watch them go the Little Shop route, keep stunt casting the two leads, and run for years.”

what? that’s not the “little shop” route. That’s literally how the the Mendes revival kept its legs for song long. Yall just say things, my god. 

chrishuyen
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 1:57pm

Job's numbers are pretty soft but they managed full capacity so they're probably hoping for word of mouth to help pick it up (from people I've talked to, there seems to be a lot of intrigue around the show so we'll see how it ends up doing).

gibsons2
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 2:07pm

MrJNLong said: "Really neat to see 3 plays grossing a million or above (I'm going to round up Stereophonic slightly for purposes of this comment haha), none of which have any star casting. That's cool."

I love the fact that there were quite a few absolutely phenomenal straight plays on Broadway since the reopening. Not necessarily fiinancially super successful, but still acclaimed and rightfully nominated. Can't say the same thing about musicals, only a couple of revivals and maximum 4 new musicals were truly worth the money I spent on tickets. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 3:20pm

gibsons2 said: "I know the capacity is still high, but is Cabaret kind of... fizzling out? I thought it would've bea juggernaut :"

Doing $1.6mil weekly is not what I would call fizzling out but it is down a bit from where it was pre-Tonys. The real test will come when fall hits and Redmayne leaves.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 4:37pm

Hillary is going on a book tour this fall, so hopefully that’ll get Suffs more publicity

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:08pm

I'm hoping the presumptive Democratic nominee for President makes an appearance at Suffs sometime between now and the election. That would surely get it some publicity.

Broadway Flash
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:17pm

I doubt it now, but maybe after the election as president.  Suffs truly was the best musical of the season.  I always resent the Tony’s, but giving Best Musical to the doom and gloom outsiders was a travesty

stagepotato
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:27pm

Broadway Flash said: "I doubt it now, but maybe after the election as president. Suffs truly was the best musical of the season. I always resent the Tony’s, but giving Best Musical to the doom and gloom outsiders was a travesty"

Wait wait wait wait Suffs was the best musical of the season? This is a laugh I didn’t realize I needed until now. Thank you for that 

BCfitasafiddle
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:30pm

Broadway Flash said: "I doubt it now, but maybe after the election as president. Suffs truly was the best musical of the season. I always resent the Tony’s, but giving Best Musical to the doom and gloom outsiders was a travesty"

Agreed. The structure, writing, emotional punch, and cast all combined into what I would call the best musical of 2023-2024. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:33pm

stagepotato said: "Broadway Flash said: "I doubt it now, but maybe after the election as president. Suffs truly was the best musical of the season. I always resent the Tony’s, but giving Best Musical to the doom and gloom outsiders was a travesty"

Wait wait wait wait Suffs was the best musical of the season? This is a laugh I didn’t realize I neededuntil now. Thank you for that
"

They love to be contradictory for no sake other than to cause a commotion.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Broadway Flash
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:39pm

What contradiction?  I was always pulling for Suffs

stagepotato
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:41pm

Huss417 said: "stagepotato said: "Broadway Flash said: "I doubt it now, but maybe after the election as president. Suffs truly was the best musical of the season. I always resent the Tony’s, but giving Best Musical to the doom and gloom outsiders was a travesty"

Wait wait wait wait Suffs was the best musical of the season? This is a laugh I didn’t realize I neededuntil now. Thank you for that
"

They love to be contradictory for no sake other than to cause a commotion.
"

lol yes, you’ve got be. That’s exactly my goal here. But in seriousness, how is Suffs are better musical than The Outsiders? 

Broadway Flash
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:51pm

Umm everything?  The score, the melodies, the gorgeous story, the beautiful performances, the stunning design.  The direction, choreo.   Outsiders won because gay men loved a single number in that dreary show. 

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:52pm

That'll do, Flash. That'll do.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/21/24
Posted: 7/23/24 at 5:59pm

Broadway Flash said: "Umm everything? The score, the melodies, the gorgeous story, the beautiful performances, the stunning design. The direction, choreo. Outsiders won because gay men loved a single number in that dreary show."

Dang, you found us out. Whatever will we do?

Videos