Les Miz Movie?

Fan2
#0Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 3:32pm

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/les%20miserables%20hits%20hollywood

LES MISERABLES HITS HOLLYWOOD

Acclaimed French revolutionary musical LES MISERABLES is set to be turned into a blockbuster movie.

The theatrical production, written by CLAUDE-MICHEL SCHONBERG and ALAIN BOUBIL, was voted the UK's favourite musical earlier this year (05) and movie insiders are already predicting the film version will be a huge box-office success.

But show producer CAMERON MACKINTOSH is refusing to let the musical sell-out with a popular Hollywood director, and is instead searching for a movie-maker who appreciates the musical genre.

He says, "In the last six to nine months there has been renewed interest in the idea of a film adaptation and several big players want to be involved.

"That doesn't necessarily mean we are going to hand the project over to a big name director.

"We want someone who has a vision for the show that will put the show's original team, including me, back to work.

"We don't just want an adaptation. We want a film audiences will find as fresh as the actual show."

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#1re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 3:37pm

While I would be interested in seeing a movie of Les Miserables, the only two sources I see for this story are contactmusic and The Telegraph (the same people who wrote the story about Ewan and Glenn in the Sunset Boulevard movie) so until I see it somewhere else, I won't hold my breath.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 3:52pm

I hope it's true. I think the timing is right, now.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#3re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:01pm

I disagree...

...I think that the more recent film version with Liam Neeson is as fabulous as it will get. I am a huge fan of the musical, but to be truthful, I think it should just be left as a musical for the stage. Just because it is one of the most popular musicals in the world, I don't think that means...."OOO, MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF IT"....Les Miserables has held its own ground as a musical for a long time, and I honestly don't know how well it would do; just because it's a hit musical doesn't mean it will be a box office hit as a movie. Either way however, I love the music and will gladly support the show in any form!

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#4re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:15pm

The film version with Liam Neeson was OK at best. There was an ASTONISHING amount of story left out (and I've read the book twice -- I know what I'm talking about). I mean, hell, there's another couple hundred pages of story after Javert JUMPS OFF A BRIDGE (not whatever lame thing they had in that movie that I washed out of my head) that was completely ignored!

It is time for the movie musical! Plus, even if it will get made starting here, we have another couple of years at least before the thing would actually get done.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#5re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:18pm

I just want another recording of the amazing score!

insomniak
#6re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:22pm

!!!

This made my day!! I'd LOVE to see this on film. Is Colm Wilkinson too old? Is there anyone who can really measure up to his performance? It's perfect for this day and age, too.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#7re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:26pm

i would love to see this filmed also ... as long as it doesn't turn out like PHANTOM ... ugggg.

RIP glebby <3

colleen_lee
#8re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:28pm

I've been waiting for this to come to the screen. It seems like it's only a matter of time.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

insomniak
#9re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:29pm

cturtle, don't remind me. *shiver*

Maybe it'll be good, like Chicago.

If they DO cast celebrities, can you see any of them in these roles? I can't.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#10re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:54pm

I hope it's true. However, I will believe it only when it's confirmed by Mackintosh's people.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:55pm

Colm Wilkinson isn't *that* old, is he? I mean, hey, they got the Rent cast. re: Les Miz Movie?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#12re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 4:57pm

This could really work, if they do it right.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#13re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 5:01pm

no! no celebrities! please!

RIP glebby <3

TennesseeTwang
#14re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 5:21pm

Mackintosh says he wants an unconvential director who will think outside the box and make the project fresh. But I suspect that those types of directors won't want him hovering over them.

forget regret <3 Profile Photo
forget regret <3
#15re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 5:23pm

That sounds amazing. I also hope it's true.

"forget regret <3, I love your post.....you give me hope for the next generation!" -Elphaba

LariTheLoud Profile Photo
LariTheLoud
#16re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 5:40pm

A real Les Misérables movie?

Oh man.

If it's true, I'm SO there. My first musical love!

"Oh, good. After all, I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time, and I can do it with my eyes closed while whistling 'The Entertainer.' That's rhythm for you." ~ Snaps, proving that White Boys CAN have rhythm

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#17re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 5:51pm

It's pretty much a given that there are probably going to be celebrities in it if they make a movie. They could probably get lesser known people in some roles, but several of them would have to be at least relatively well known actors.

I'm a whore for this sort of thing, so I'll say who I think some possible decent choices are as far as known actors go (not quite sure of the extent of the vocal talent of some of the people):

-Valjean: Russell Crowe / John Travolta / Treat Williams / Hugh Jackman
-Fantine: Melinda Clarke / Catherine Zeta-Jones / Nicole Kidman / Kate Winslet / Milla Jovovich / Mira Sorvino / Toni Collette / Gwyneth Paltrow / Jennifer Garner
-Javert: Tim Curry / Kevin Spacey / Anthony Stewart Head / Antonio Banderas / Jeremy Irons / Ciaran Hinds / Jonathan Pryce / Kevin Kline / Tom Hulce / Peter Gallagher / Chris Sarandon / John Lithgow
-Young Cosette: Don't know
-Cosette: Erika Christensen / Lauren Ambrose / Scarlett Johannsen / Brittany Murphy / Lindsey Haun / Hayley Westenra
-Eponine: Anne Hathaway / Zooey Deschanel / Eden Riegel / Lacey Chabert / Nadia Bjorlin / Jenna Leigh Green / Jamie Lyn Sigler / Mandy Moore (You can smack me, I don't care :-P)
-Marius: Heath Ledger / Ewan McGregor / Mike Vogel / Ryan Gosling
-Enjolras: Adam Pascal (Well, he will be known soon hopefully)
-Madame Thenardier: Kathy Bates / Tracy Ullman / Kathy Najimy / Karen Black / Megan Mullally / Catherine O'Hara / Beverly D'Angelo / Meryl Streep
-Master Thenardier: Geoffrey Rush / John C. Reilly
-Gavroche: Don't know

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 10/15/05 at 05:51 PM

DramaDork925
#18re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 5:53pm

That put a smile on my face!!!!

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 6:01pm

MrMidwest---Love your pool of choices. I think you're right. If they're going to take chances on the director and the overall film concept, they'll want some big names to guarantee box office. Unless MacKintosh puts up his own money, and then he'll cast whoever he wants. But if a studio is financing it, they'll get too jittery without names attached.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

colleen_lee
#20re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 6:04pm

>>>-Young Cosette: Don't know

C'mon, that's an easy one.... Dakota Fanning. She is in every movie made these days.

Enjolras: Patrick Wilson. I would die to see that.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#21re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 6:07pm

Yeah, I suppose there's Dakota. Just hadn't heard anything about her singing talent, although I wouldn't be surprised if she can.

Raquel Castro from Jersey Girl might be a good young Cosette too.

VivaBohemia Profile Photo
VivaBohemia
#22re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 7:35pm

"...I think that the more recent film version with Liam Neeson is as fabulous as it will get."

I hated the movie. Geoffery Rush and Liam Neeson were great. But it ends there. I didn't think it did the book any justice whatsoever.

*Krissy* **Support the use of illegal wood burning stoves. Get your own metal trash can today!**

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#23re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 7:37pm

I just hope that if it is produced as a "movie-musical", that they make sure to keep it artistically sound. They don't need to cast incredibly "big name" stars, the show already is one! I am definitely more for a cast of unknowns, over something similiar to what happened to Phantom of the Opera's film version!

....I would love it if they would use some performers who have actually portrayed these charcters whether on Broadway or West End!

....It would be exciting to see Les Miserables on the big screen....And to have another recording of that score would be fabulous!

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"
Updated On: 10/2/05 at 07:37 PM

PhantomMag234
#24re: Les Miz Movie?
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:01pm

Jean Valjean-Micheal Ball/Micheal Crawford/Colm Wiklenson/Treat Williams
Javert-Terrence Mann/Jason Issacs
Fantine-Monica Bucelli/Kate Winslet/Idina Menzel/Renee Zellweger/Melinda Clarke/Paige Davis
Young Cosette-Raquel Castro/Dakota Fanning
Marius-Josh Groban/Heath Ledger/Will Chase
Eponine-Lacey Chabert/Kelly Clarkson/Brittnay Murpey/Joanna Garcia
Cosette-Christy Carlson Romano/Erika Christeansen/Kiera Knightley/Antonia Bernath
Enjolas-Patrick Wilson/Christain Bale
Theandier-Tim Curry/Robin Williams
Madame Theandeir-Tracy Ullman/Kathey Bates
Gavroche-?

Videos