#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
Posted: 10/28/07 at 2:50pm

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
E13

Cyrano de Bergerac
Richard Rodgers Theater
Play Revival
2 hours & 50 mins with 1 intermission (act 1= 1:45/ act 2=:50)
10/27 2 pm
Tix Price $ 21.50 + 10.15 fees/processing=$31.65 (REAR BALCONY)

"I need eloquence, and I have none!" ........by Christian from the play

I have seen four play revivals so far- Old Acquaintance, The Ritz, Pygmalion & Cyrano de Bergerac and I think that I have seen the Best Play Revival on a rainy & soggy day yesterday. This production is like watching a painting in my Rear Balcony seat at the Richard Rodgers Theater . Everything is in perfect harmony... the staging, the lighting, the sound design, the acting and the direction. It is indeed theater at its best!

..Yet there is something still that will always be mine, and when I go to God's presence, there I'll doff it and sweep the heavenly pavement with a gesture - something I'll take unstained out of this world...my "panache " (by Cyrano from the play)

SPOILERS BELOW : Do not read below... Just pass and proceed to photos.

9 Things I LIKE about the Play (out of 10)

1. The Staging : One of the best scenic design I have seen. The stage is basically composed of wooden floors , brick walls and a large stairs at the back. It serve so perfectly with the changing of the scenery.. the convent, the balcony with a huge moon , the battlefield and so on.. I love the silky curtain (blue ) at the the beginning that moves so gracefuly and flawlessly. They used the curtains to change scenery too...the curtains are somewhat see-thru , so every time they change the scenery, you can see what's going on.

Special mention :

a. balcony scene with huge moon ....end of act 1 when the moon goes down to the stage--beautifully executed.

b. theater scene with candles all over the place and a candlelit chandelier...
Note: they used REAL, LIVE candles- so when you come in the theater and see the stage, its somewhat "smoky" create that ambiance of Old French.. I just love it.. from begining.

c. battle scene- the tree dangling on the floor with curtain (landscape design) at the background of PARYS (Paris) , ladders, and beams going down on the stage.

d. convent scene with all the candles hanging. very serene and beautiful with the red fall leaves falling down.

2. Sound Design- beggining of Act 2. I got startled bec. when they started it . I was unprepared ... loud sounds of cannons & guns and blue silky curtain moves to Stage Left...

3. Kevin Kline's acting- superb ! and his sword fights are very well chreographed.

4. Jennifer Garner- suprisingly-she is EXCELLENT & very funny.

5. Daniel Sunjata- very good as Christian too specially the balcony scene with Roxanne & Cyrano, though I felt sometimes he is bit overacting.

6. Supporting Roles - Chris Sarandon as Comte de Guiche and Concetta Tomei as Roxanne's Duenna/Sister Marthe-though her role is small.

7. The Direction of David Leveax- he made this old play very visual and enjoyable.

8. My tix is $21.50 .. total of $ 31.65 ... I sat at the REAR Balcony .. I had no problems with hearing the dialogues.. seems like they were mic'd. The production photos does not do good justice.. its soo different when you see it onstage.. you see the whole picture... My ticket is cheap and worth every penny I paid.

9. Curtains. I have a special fascination with stage curtains . I know that this may be a part of the whole scenic design.. but definitely I will put it on my LIKE list for several reasons.

a. Dramatic Curtain/Parys landscape falling down as they discovered Christian wounded and being carried by soldiers going down stairs..very dramatic !

b. Curtain Call- One reason why I love theater so much is bec. of the Curtain Call, you dont get that in the movie.. Few of my favorite Curtain Call are Journey's End (raising of the curtain when all those who died are standing with all their names on a memorial ) The Ritz (The Last Dance by Donna Summer ) and of course this one...

Cyrano died in the arms of Roxanne (while she is weeping and seating down)

then

Red Silky Curtain fell down and covered the entire stage.

finally

Red Silky Curtain fell down again(on the floor) on its entirety to reveal all cast standing onstage to take a bow and whole curtain was pulled from stage right.

I just love it !!!

1 Things I DID NOT LIKE about the Play (out of 10)

1. I just have a minor complaint.. its just a little loooong..2 hours and 50 minutes.
It can be boring specially at the beginning, but it picks up after the sword fight, then the balcony scene.

IN SUMMARY : I really enjoyed this play and definitely its a MUST SEE , specially it will only be playing for 10 weeks. I guess . I will end this with one of the universal theme of the play which we probably seen it several times in a movie bec. it was recycled so many times. Cyrano's extremely large nose which symbolizes his doubts in himself. All of us have doubts in ourselves & insecurities which someday we must overcome.

and Cyrano replies "I'll lend you mine! Lend me your conquering physical charm, and together we'll form a romantic hero!" - and that is the hardest temptation.

Score: 9/1- I LIKE IT ! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s

J*

The Richard Rodgers Theater

THE CRITICS' MATINEE

Can you spot Mr. Ben Brantley ?

The Richard Rodgers Gallery (downstairs)

PRODUCTION PHOTOS : (courtesy of Playbill.com)

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s

THE PLAYBILL :

STAGE DOOR PHOTOS:

Jennifer Garner

Daniel Sunjata

Euan Morton

Later

Time to go home Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s

My Autographed Playbill by Jennifer Gardner, Daniel Sunjata & Euan Moton

Check out other Cyrano De Bergerac's review by Yankeefan:
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=946650&dt=28

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s (this November)

My 10/10 Reports on :

1. The Seafarer- 11/5
2. August : Osage County-11/12
3. The Little Mermaid -10/19

Updated On: 5/14/08 at 02:50 PM

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with stage door pics too ! )
Posted: 10/28/07 at 4:03pm

Thanks very very much for the pictures, jaystar- wow, theres a lot!
I would say thanks for the review, but due to spoilers, and me seeing the show from first row this Saturday night...yeah, I didn't read it.
But thanks a lot, and I'm glad you enjoyed the show :)

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with stage door pics too ! )
Posted: 10/28/07 at 4:35pm

As much as I hate this play, I thought this production was quite beautiful. Unfortunately my seat was in the second row on the right and the side lights from the stage were in my face the ENTIRE show. I literally had to cover half my face for most of the performance.

I was quite suprised at how well Jennifer Garner handled herself. Not the revelation that Danes was, but certainly a capable actress.

Thanks Jaystarr. I always love your pictures and enthusiasm. I really love the falling leaves...nice touch in the show and a nice touch in your post! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with stage door pics too ! )

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 4:37pm

aww i love Euan Morton! he's such a cutie!

bwaydoc Profile Photo
bwaydoc
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 4:53pm

Thanks for the review and pics Jaystarr. I'm looking forward to seeing this myself hopefully next weekend. Couple of questions:

1. When did you buy your $20 ticket? Was it recently or a while ago? And did you buy it at the box office or online?

2. Is Jennifer Garner still taking pictures at the stage door with people?

I wish I could go back to college. Life was so simple back then. - Kate Monster.

"Who here feels like they have no idea what they're doing?" - George, Grey's Anatomy

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:06pm

1. When did you buy your $20 ticket? Was it recently or a while ago? And did you buy it at the box office or online?

Awhile ago when they announced it. To be precise. I purchased by ticket on Sept 8. online

2. Is Jennifer Garner still taking pictures at the stage door with people?

Yes and I want to stress that she is very nice. The stage door last Saturday matinee (10/27) was a mob. I came out really late, since I was sitting on REAR BALCONY and Richard Rodgers Balcony was a hike... going upstairs and downstairs.

When I went out .. the stage door was full, probbably 100-150 people. Jennifer Garner came out.. everyone was clapping, she bowed (playfully), she signed everyone's playbill. I cannot get near her .. I just pass my playbill and she signed it.
There were tons of people.. you need to have your camera ready.. All came out.. except Kevin Kline...

Have you noticed? .. I have no pictures with the stars bec. it was soo crowded .. I was just pointing and shooting my camera on every directions.

Ooops. I take that back.. I had one with Euan Morton (one of my favorite) Unfortunately my eyes were closed, that's why I cropped the picture. I approached him. No one recognized him. He was very nice. I told him.. I am soo glad you were back on Broadway after Taboo.

Advice: if you want a picture with Jennifer Garner.. leave early during Curtain Call to beat everyone and go to the stage door (on your left as you exit the theater) bec.the crowd could be 100-150 and you wont be able to squeeze in and she signs autographs very very fast and there's a car waiting for her right away.

One of the most disorganized stage door crowd that I have seen this season. People pushing one another, trying to squeeze in to get near her.

So go there first and get your camera ready. re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi

J*
Updated On: 10/28/07 at 05:06 PM

Yankeefan007
#6re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 6:15pm

Nice photo of Ben Brantley...

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#7re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 6:53pm

Out of curiosity, where is the stage door for the Richard Rodgers? In the front?

angelic1 Profile Photo
angelic1
#8re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 7:17pm

I went to today's performance. What an absolutely splendid show!

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead." -Tony Kushner's Angels in America

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#9re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 7:34pm

where is the stage door for the Richard Rodgers? In the front?

Yes. Look at those pictures.. as you exit the theater .. is on your LEFT.

Facing the theater (when your outside) is on your Right. You wont miss it . It has barricades.

J*

Updated On: 10/28/07 at 07:34 PM

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#10re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 7:50pm

Thanks! I'm not going or anything, I was just curious. I couldn't tell when I saw "Tarzan" back in July, there were people everywhere (I saw it the day before it closed).

I'd go if I could, but I'm in Pennsylvania re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi

Just wanted to make sure! Great review, jaystarr!
Updated On: 10/28/07 at 07:50 PM

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#11re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 7:56pm

hey jaystarr i totally took your euan morton picture!!
=)

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 8:04pm

Oh.. Is that you? I thought you were with Euan?

So there's two Euan's fans there, huh? Yeah we were talking about Taboo and Showbussiness DVD. He is such a cutie ! too bad .. no one but us recognize him ?
except us.

So whatcha think about that mob scene at the stage door last Saturday?

BTW- Thanks for taking my pic with him re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi

J*

Updated On: 10/28/07 at 08:04 PM

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#13re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & wi
Posted: 10/28/07 at 8:27pm

Is there much of a chance of this extending?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

cesna55
#14Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 10/28/07 at 8:53pm

I LOVVVVVVED this play. The lights, the acting, the staging...simply incredible. It was raining too hard on the day I went to wait for autographs at the stage door, but I must say that I was bowled over by Daniel Sunjata's stage presence and acting chops. I have been a fan of Rescue Me for years now, and also saw him in Take Me out, but seeing him command the stage with such grace and authority in a classical piece just solidified him in my mind as the real deal. I never knew he had it in him to demonstrate such range. I'll definitely go back for a second viewing IF I can score tix again. Of course Kline was amazing, and Garner definitely did not disappoint, but considering he has the smallest of the three roles, I really thought Mr. Sunjata made the most of every second he spent on the stage. He was funny, sexy, wildly charming, and oh so intense when the play came to a climax in the second act. See this play if its the only ticket you buy this season; SOOOO WORTH IT!!

C55

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#15Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 10/28/07 at 9:21pm

If this show extends, it will be without Kline.

He will leave after the 10 week run. Since he is the main draw for most theatergoers, I highly doubt the producers will look for a replacement Cyrano.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

sweetdisaster Profile Photo
sweetdisaster
#16Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 10/28/07 at 9:33pm

Thanks for the review, jaystarr.

I agree with almost everything you stated above. The lights, sets, and costumes were just beautiful. Everything seemed entirely appropriate, especially with having the tree being an almost metaphorical anchor.

I went into it not sure what to expect, since it didn't seem like the type of play I'd ordinarily like, but it didn't disappoint. Garner really surprised me, although I did find her a little campy in certain spots where it didn't seem to work. I liked Sunjata, too, but agree that he may have overacted a bit, but I think that almost goes with the part of Christian. Defintely a must see this season.

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#17Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 10/28/07 at 11:34pm

yes i was the girl with Euan.

I'm glad you liked your photo! You should have kept yourself in the picture it was a really nice one!!

I'm glad you got to see him since he was just literally about to go back in to take a nap lol

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

misschung
#18Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 10/29/07 at 12:59am

ahh, Euan!

And you caught Big Ben on camera - nice work! Thanks for all the pictures and review!

is it just me, or does Daniel Sunjata look like Captain Jack Sparrow in that costume?

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#19Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!
Posted: 10/29/07 at 8:53am

I hope the show extends too.

BTW- I would like to add about the incidental music by Lucas Papelias & Alexander Sovronsky- just beautiful. It was used when that beautiful curtains moves across the stage to change scenery ...

Also special mention to Fred Rose (last year's Company) who plays the cello on stage with a group of musician (Lucas Papaelias-guitar & Alexander Sovronsky-violin/mandolin) in the balcony scene- yes .. the music is LIVE !

Leenya Rideout (last year's Company) for Vocal arrangement that was used in this production.

Kevin Kline sang a little bit here.. a verse or two...

I am not really well verse when it comes to Classical Music, but it seems to me that the music they played after the Curtain Call was Baroque Music ( I stand corrected, okay? )- very beautiful !

Everything is just beautiful in this play. Dont miss it ! Sir Daniel Sunjata!!!!!!!!!

J*

Updated On: 10/29/07 at 08:53 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#20Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
Posted: 10/29/07 at 4:51pm

Updated On: 10/29/07 at 04:51 PM

RentBoy86
#21Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:03am

Thanks Jaystarr. I LOVE show curtains. It just gets you in the mood for the play.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#22Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
Posted: 11/4/07 at 2:34pm

^^ I found two pictures from NY Times of different scenes from Cyrano de Bergerac.

Balcony Scene:

Act II Scenes I-VI
Ragueneau’s bakery- background curtain depicting the countryside

Updated On: 11/4/07 at 02:34 PM

Revolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
#23Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:30pm

Euan is so adorable, I just want to push him over and slug him.

Yankeefan007
#24Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on Cyrano de Bergerac (on critics' matinee & with s
Posted: 11/4/07 at 4:10pm

Why not post photos, as well?

Jennifer Garner:

Ben Affleck: