Just saw the Hairspray Tour...

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#1Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 9:53pm

...and I liked it a lot!! I didn't like the first act as much as the second, but that may have to do with the fact that during the first act I was practically looking down from a birds eye view. But during intermission I moved down to the orchestra level and found an empty seat in the front row! Very happy about that :)

Anyways, I have some questions about it. Was it an Equity tour?? I didn't see anything about the actors being equity members in the program so I was wondering. Also how come all of the cast had to move the set pieces? Why didn't they set up tracks? don't they usually do that if they are staying for a while?

cannison101
#2re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 9:56pm

It is a Non - Equity tour. Networks puts in on.

I thought the same thing about the set peices. I guess it is just an easy way to save money for the production.. by not paying for tracks when the cast can move them along with the music. It sorta' goes with it anyway ..

TheatreFreak05
#2re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:00pm

why would they have a non-equity tour? how did they get the rights to do a non-equity tour?? while it is still on broadway

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#3re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:11pm

Glad you had a nice time!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#4re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:13pm

They got the rights to do non-equity because there has already been plenty of equity tours.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

TheatreFreak05
#5re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:15pm

do the actors get equity points for being in the show?

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#6re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:36pm

I believe so...

"How can they get the rights"
Well I can't answer that, but regional theaters are already getting rights to do it. I know of one high school where I live got the rights to do it this coming fall in November.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

TheatreFreak05
#7re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:47pm

ok thank you guys!!! also i remembered something! in the song You're Timeless to Me, Edna started cracking up and couldn't stop laughing. do they improvise in that song cause something he said made him laugh

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#8re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 10:53pm

the actors do not get weeks toward their cards because Equity has no jurisdiction over the tour, it is completely non-AEA

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#9re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/3/08 at 11:01pm

The actors playing Edna and Wilbur crack up everytime during You're Timeless To Me.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

bwaybound865 Profile Photo
bwaybound865
#10re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 1:10pm

I think it's funny when people see Hairspray they always comment on the Edna and Wilbur breaking character during "Timeless To Me".

It's definitely scripted.

bwayguy22089
#11re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 1:16pm

I don't know if it is actually "scripted"...I think it is probably like Popular in Wicked. Over the years, the scene is just so funny that the actors cant help themselves lol.

#12re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 1:34pm

"Wilbur" (Dan Ferretti) is an old pal of mine- how was he?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#13re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 1:46pm

"I don't know if it is actually "scripted"...I think it is probably like Popular in Wicked."

I did the first national tour.

It's scripted.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

#14re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 4:55pm

Wayne Newton was the King of Vegas for years. At every show he'd dust off a song he hadn't sung in years- but would for this audience because they've been so great. Or he'd get sidetracked and tell an anecdote he never told before. Or he'd spontaneously bring a woman up and banter with her. The thing was you'd look at the band and they never cracked up. They looked bored. They had the music for that song he "never" sang on their stands.

His shows were scripted down to the second. He plays Branson now and I'm sure it's still always 58 minutes long and he still tells that story at every show.

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#15re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 5:42pm

I'll be seeing the show this Saturday in Cupertino (CA) and am pretty excited about it!

d811990
#16re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 7:47pm

Im seeing it saturday too.

which performance are you seeing?

im seeing the 2 o'clock performance. 7th row.

TheatreFreak05
#17re: Just saw the Hairspray Tour...
Posted: 2/4/08 at 8:41pm

JoeKv99, the Wilber did a very good job. He was very funny in You're Timeless to Me and had a great voice. I enjoyed his performance very much
Updated On: 2/4/08 at 08:41 PM

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#18I am selling 2 tix for 6/17 if you are in or gonna be in SF
Posted: 6/11/08 at 11:24pm

Hairspray the Musical is now playing at the Orpheum theater as part of the Best of Broadway offering of SHN.

I am selling 2 tickets for $100 .

2 aisle seat loge section for June 17, 2008 and show starts propmtly at 8pm.

Specific locations are:

Loge C4 and C2 which means row C on loge section and seat 2 and 4 which are located towards the stage right but on the aisle near the center section of the theater.

You can see the nifty "my view from seat" by checking it at http://www.shnsf.com

And decide for yourself how good it is.
I paid $110 for it and you only pay $100.

My friend cancelled and I decided not to go because of that.
Reply here or pm me if interested.

Total savings of $30 because of my $10 off regular price and processing fee savings. I basically just wanted to get it off my hands and not lose money.

Compare regular price at the http://www.ticketmaster.com and you can see you are getting an authentic best deal in town!

You pick it up or we could meet along Market St.

All the good orchestra seats are sold out except for the ones at the very back but this iis the best 2 seats you can get right now at the loge section, which is basically the best seat in the house (besides front frow) and is located on the 2nd level.

PM or reply now. First come, first served.

I already saw them in Cupertino and they are really good.
Updated On: 6/12/08 at 11:24 PM

tourboi
#19I am selling 2 tix for 6/17 if you are in or gonna be in SF
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:25am

They were able to produce a non-Equity tour because the Equity tour closed. Simple as that.

etoile
#20I am selling 2 tix for 6/17 if you are in or gonna be in SF
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:33am

"I am offering $100 for 2 aisle seat..."

Antonijan, are you offering TO SELL two tickets for $100?

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#21I am selling 2 tix for 6/17 if you are in or gonna be in SF
Posted: 6/12/08 at 1:11am

That's what I meant. I am selling 2 tickets for $100 and you save $30.

Anyone interested can PM me and I'll give my number so we could make an arrangement.

Videos