Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:10am

thought this deserved its own thread

www.playbill.com/news/article/115323.html
www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=25372

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#2re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:20am

Granted the last thing we need is another Les Miz recording, but it would be great to have a recording of this cast. It’s shaping up to be a really interesting culmination of performers.

mikewood
#2re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:38am

Brian Stokes Mitchell...worth the price of admission alone.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 8:02am

https://www.broadwayworld.com./viewcolumn.cfm?colid=25372

This will be amazing re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 8:03am

YAY ROSIE!!!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

morningglory
#5re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 8:47am

yes, true - but, I would love for them to do audio or video of this. And if anyone hasn't yet heard him, but, would like to check out J. Mark McVey - then go to that site I'm not sure if I can mention - and do a search on his name. It has his Broadway on Broadway performance of Bring Him Home. Wonderful!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#6re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 10:03am

"Brian Stokes Mitchell...worth the price of admission alone."

I remember in a previous thread someone said that Brian Stokes Mitchell didn't need to be the 293840293 Javert, and he probably wouldn't do it on Broadway...glad to see he is singing this role, even if technically he isn't originating it and there are a few more "major" Broadway stars in there.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Colle
#7re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 10:27am

I wonder if a recording will be made, since there are some well known names in the cast, but I am not getting my hopes up. It should be interesting to see, for those who are going.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#8re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 10:35am

I'd love to go see this!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#10re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:24am

Boo, give her a chance...the show hasn't even opened yet.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

morningglory
#12re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:53am

I'll tolerate her gladly for the ability to see J. Mark back as Valjean!

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#13re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:29pm

Let's see Kirk Cameron as Valjean!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:52pm

Okay -- I'll say it - I'm a little disappointed. By all star cast I thought we'd be getting some real over the title kind of name vocalists. This cast list so far could just be replacements in the recent revival.

eatlasagna
#15re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 1:16am

i'm excited for brian stokes mitchell... but what i'm really excited about the most is pobably Melora Hardin as Fantine... I can't wait to hear her sing this score... she's freaking hilarious in the Office... man that show is HILARIOUS!

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#16re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 1:23am

I really hope they record this.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

morningglory
#17re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 6:56am

"Okay -- I'll say it - I'm a little disappointed. By all star cast I thought we'd be getting some real over the title kind of name vocalists. This cast list so far could just be replacements in the recent revival."

Actually, this is the cast they SHOULD have had in the recent revival without the 'newbie' trials (like DRV among others). Brian Stokes will be wonderful and Richard Jay is astute enough to know that a strong and moving talent like J. Mark McVey would work wonderfully opposite him. Without a talent like J. Mark, the show looses its 'heart' (as the recent revival proves). So kudos to Richard Jay for his wonderful insite and casting choices. Don't mind Rosie as that is a bit role and much needed humor in the spots where its appropriate. I think Chip Zien would be great to bring back as Rosie's husband - that would really be a hoot. The 'all-star' cast that has been chosen is perfect as the cast does not eclipse the material - only adds to it. - Anyway - that's JMHO re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#18re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 10:08am

Looking forward to this!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

BWNUT
#19re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 2:48pm

Lea Salonga was also asked to be in this production, but she will be touring for Cinderella at that time so she had to decline. Too bad.

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#20re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 3:07pm

I actually loved Rosie in Fiddler when I saw it on Bway. She fit in perfectly with the rest of the class and I had no issues with her singing or her acting. I thought she was perfect. I can't imagine how she'd "screw this up."

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 3:14pm

I'm with Bennett, I was hoping it would be something like Anne Hathaway as Eponine, Catherine Z. Jones as Fantine, or something along those lines.
They didn't even get a solid Broadway name for Valjean.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

PUPPETMAN
#22re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 4:10pm

Rosy will simply be Rosy and not give a convincing performance. She has admitted that she gets very bored doing live shows. The part does not call for a "star" and her trying to do it will pull attention from the numbers.

Rosy, stay home with the kids.

morningglory
#23re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 6:06pm

'They didn't even get a solid Broadway name for Valjean'

I guess performing the role 2,912 times as noted whenever he performs with Marvin Hamlisch in concert(like 7 years in the role) in both London and on Broadway, winning the Helen Hayes award for that role and keeping a dying show alive by his sheer talent and ability doesn't constitute a 'solid' Broadway name, huh? Mr. McVey is a fantastic talent, and the LA crowd will definitely be impressed and happy to have seen this production.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#24re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/28/08 at 11:17pm

A little late; we went over this already with Pati B in the other LM/Hollywood Bowl thread which somehow has not been bumped even though it is longer and more interesting. Now please sit down and next time, raise your hand when you wish to talk.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Poppy
#25re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 2/29/08 at 12:33am

Morning Glory, I couldn't agree more. J. Mark McVey is a fantastic talent. His "Bring Him Home" is always a show stopper. You didn't mention the fabulous free show he and his wife, Christy Tarr do in his hometown in NJ every summer. Date is on his website if anyone is interested. And he is one of the nicest people you'll ever met. Knock them dead, Mark!!!

morningglory
#26re: Hollywood Bowl Les Mis Cast!
Posted: 3/9/08 at 6:57am

Thanks Poppy. Yeah his summer concert. Guess he will get to do that just before he leaves for LA. Always a wonderful concert and always packed. I've never seen a relaxed summer concert crowd in lounge chairs actually jump to their feet to give a standing ovation - but, they sure did this year when he did 'Music of the Night' - which was awesome............

Videos