Maria Friedman

M_Jokay Profile Photo
M_Jokay
#0Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:41am

Does anyone know if Maria is playing the role in Woman in White on Broadway? Has it yet been announced? I had planned to go see it in London this August, but I guess she won't be there then- but I really don't want to miss her! I love her so much.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#1re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 2:01am

Yes, Maria Friedman is going to be recreating her role in NYC. No formal announcement has been made but both she and Martin Crewes are expected to be in the Broadway company as part of a British/AEA exchange along with Americans Jill Paice and Angela Christian

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 3:12am

awesome!!! maria is amazing

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Kim_Norway
#3re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 6:41am

Yeah, she's pretty good! I wonder how her Mama Rose will be...

Lori
#4re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:02am

Michael I thought the second spot in the equity exchange was intended for Michael Crawford. When we saw Martin after the show in London a few weeks ago we told him we'd love to see him in the show on Broadway. He replied that he'd love to be seen but hadn't been asked. Is this a new development since Crawford's permanent departure from the London cast? I know some are still hoping that MC will reprise Count Fosco in Chicago and NYC.

Personally, I'm still hoping to see Michael Ball come over as the Count.

And Maria was excellent btw...

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"
Updated On: 4/18/05 at 09:02 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:53am

Michael Crawford qualifies as an "international star" and thereby doesn't need to be petitioned for the Equity exchange program. Michael Ball would also qualify for that "internatioinal star" visa, though I hear the producers aren't ruling out some interesting American names for that role.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#6re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:55am

"Michael I thought the second spot in the equity exchange was intended for Michael Crawford. "

Considering Michael Crawford's past appearances on Broadway, would he have been part of the Equity exchange at all? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not really familiar with how the exchange program works.

Yes, Maria was great as Marian... and I second the wish for Michael Ball to play Fosco on Broadway re: Maria Friedman

Edited to add: Ooops... question answered even as I typed it! re: Maria Friedman

Thank you.
Updated On: 4/18/05 at 09:55 AM

Lori
#7re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:24am

Thanks for your response Michael!

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

jo
#8re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:25pm

The cast performing now at the Palace Theatre is perfect --

Maria Friedman, Michael Ball, Martin Crewes, Angela Christian, Jill Paice and Missy, the Mouse re: Maria Friedman

Bring them all to Broadway!

Jo

jo
#9re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:37pm

I saw Michael Ball and Maria Friedman in the Sondheim PASSION transfer to London some years back. They had great chemistry together in that dramatic musical.

Seeing them again together in WOMAN IN WHITE further strengthens my impression that these two thespians really have wonderful chemistry onstage. Both have gorgeous singing voices and they seem to hit if off well in both dramatic and comedic scenes. It would be a loss not to see that wonderful connection when the show transfers to Broadway. So, I hope the producers and Andrew Lloyd Webber cast Maria and Michael Ball in the same roles when the show comes over. I would also like to see a new song written for the show, one where Count Fosco sings a "tentative" love ballad, expressing his "tendresse" for Marian. Their scenes together really uplift the show!

Jo
Updated On: 4/18/05 at 09:37 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/18/05 at 9:43pm

I LOVE the Michael Ball/Maria Friedman PASSION CD!!! It's incredible...

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#11re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/19/05 at 12:49am

M_J, It is ironic that you're going to London in August, which is when shell be playing Rose here in the US- trading spaces I suppose.

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#12re: Maria Friedman
Posted: 4/19/05 at 3:23am

A little off topic....But since it was mentioned, I gotta say that I hate the Maria Friedman/Micheal Ball PASSION cd. It is absolutely horrendous and even laughable, in my opinion - especially the way Friedman reads the lines....She makes Fosca sound like the most stupid person alive, with her intonation and pauses...I must admit the first time I heard it I laughed out loud, it was that bad. Her voice is good, but I just really disliked her performance. It turned me off from ever wanting to see her perform live, I'll tell you that.

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

Videos