Lizzya9
#1van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:54pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=19594

I wonder what song she'll perform? I'm guessing "A Change in Me"

tinkerscanne
#2re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:58pm

I hope she doesn't sing - I don't think I could bear to listen to her butcher BATB again. Out of the 4 Belle's I have seen on Broadway, she was by far the most poorly cast. Now, this is just my opinion, but I felt she played Belle much too dark and solemn. She smiled so seldom and her singing, well, she's certainly NOT a soprano and really struggled for some of the notes. I was cringing in my seat most of the time. My husband did not care for her, either, and his sense of pitch is awful - LOL. Ashley Brown and Sarah Uriarte are my favorite Belles that I've seen. I would have loved to have seen Kerry Butler as Belle!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:31pm

The clips I've heard of Ashley Brown are amazing. Her rendition of "A Change in Me" was fabulous.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Julian2
#3re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:34pm

She didn't smile a lot? I think my intrest in her just rose exponentionaly.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#4re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 3:27pm

Thanks for the info. I hope she does perform.

I've only seen two tour Belles. Kim Huber was wonderful. The second Belle, whose name I don't recall, was a little chirpy for my tastes. Very talented, just not my cup of tea.

I would have loved to see (sigh) Susan Egan.
Broadway Blog: Fixing Follies

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#5re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 4:19pm

Uh...susan egan...CRAP in a can

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

tinkerscanne
#6re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 4:30pm

"Uh...susan egan...CRAP in a can"

Although I don't agree with what you've said, I do think her voice is a bit throaty. But I wouldn't call it crap....

IAMmyownMUSICAL
#7re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 4:34pm

Well I guess I've just never seen her give a performace that I have enjoyed. IMO...and I'm not forcing this upon anyone, I think shes a very bland dull performer.

Yes, she did spark a little bit of magic in B and the B...but even then it was very little.

I just don't think shes that good. But it is lovely when she IS able to actually sing the correct pitch (which in her case doesnt always happen that often)

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#8re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 4:36pm

I hope she doesn't sing - I don't think I could bear to listen to her butcher BATB again.

Um, what?

Ugh...I'll just not go to school that day. re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#9re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 4:47pm

*The clips I've heard of Ashley Brown are amazing. Her rendition of "A Change in Me" was fabulous.*

Ashley was fantastic in the role! I haven't seen Van Der Pol, and I don't plan on it, I'll have to set the DVR to see if she sings....

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

IAMmyownMUSICAL
#10re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 4:53pm

I'm actually really excited to see Van Der Pool, especially because I'm lucky enough to get to see the show on closing night!

I've been a fan of her voice, and her talent for many years now, and I can't wait to finally be able to see her live! re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#11re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:04pm

Trashing Susan Egan . . . That's heresy! Well, almost . . .

Actually, I've never seen her on stage, only in interviews, clips, and on CDs, but I'm still a big fan.
Broadway Blog: Fixing Follies

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#12re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:11pm

The good footage of van der Pol on the broadwayworld video was AMAZING...and I didn't expect much of her, but she sounded, acted fabulous in those clips.

Why should Belle constantly smile?? in honesty I don't think the cartoon smiles all that much in the movie...she isn't perky little Snow White.

and F*** YOU WIMBLEDON...it's on in place of R&K just about every day this week...no performance for me re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3

edit for my language...I thought it **** things out itself!!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...
Updated On: 6/29/07 at 06:11 PM

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#13re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:39pm

I think she did a superb job as Belle. She acted and sang the part well.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#14re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 8:04pm

"She smiled so seldom..."

Would you be smiling if you were locked in a castle for the rest of your life with a scary beast?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

IAMmyownMUSICAL
#15re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 8:08pm

....AND had no mother

and were lonely because no one but your father liked you?

Lizzya9
#16re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 8:10pm

IAMmyownMUSICAL, I am SOOO jealous of you! I would give anything to see B&tB closing night.

I adore Susan Egan, I don't see anything wrong with her voice. She is my favorite Broadway actress!

The only Belle I've seen live is Jennifer Shrader, understudying for Sarah Litzsinger and she was fantastic! That others have just been online and in videos and stuff, and I have to say I like van der Pol a bit better than Brown. But I'm not one to judge since I haven't seen either live.

Lizzya9
#17re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 8:13pm

I know it's too late, but I think that Sutton Foster would have been a fantastic Belle!

tinkerscanne
#18re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:01pm

OK, no I wouldn't smile if I was trapped in a castle and had no mother, but I mean, she played it SO sullen. There was no sparkle, no magic in her eyes. I mean, although Belle is in a not-so-desired predicament, she is a hopeful person and makes the best of her surroundings. And once she gets to know Lumiere and Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts and the other objects, she should show another level - optimism, which includes smiling in hope! Van Der Pol just seems another Disney name to fill seats for the little kids that love That's So Raven.

I also want to add that I've been teaching voice for over 10 years and I am a performer myself and I just thought (and this is my opinion, not gospel) that her technique was lacking. She may have a good pop voice but I felt that her placement was incorrect and her tone quality lacked brightness. It was very dark and throaty, whereas someone like Ashley Brown has a very forward placement and lots of classical training behind her (don't know Van Der Pol's training except for her dance background) and that (classical) training really helps to propel the voice to the correct place in masque. Ashley's has impeccable technique and great tone. I could listen to her sing 24/7!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#19re: van der Pol to be on Regis & Kelly 7/3
Posted: 7/4/07 at 8:35pm

Combo of two posts from the previous thread:

I loved her voice.
I love her, i think she's fantastic.

Her performance was really great.
I enjoyed it!

------------------------------------------
Do they have SRO for Beauty and The Beast?

I wanna see Anneliese.

I know, she doesnt come out the stage door anymore, but I'd like to see the show with her.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Videos