News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!- Page 29

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#700WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 8:12am

I was there on Friday night as well; we didn't see THE BEST SHOW EVER EVER, but the best word to describe it is "fun." I'd consider going back if it gets renewed, and will definitely get the cast recording. Did you see how Sherie Rene's leg had a streak of blood down it (from something, not sure), and it took a few scenes for her to mop it up? Hope she's ok - her voice was in fine form. The taxi was great, the projections were kind of unnecessary, but Patti sang her big 2nd act number smoothly and effortlessly. I wish this show all the best - considering I saw Scottsboro and Next to Normal the following day, this show brought some sorely-needed fun to my weekend!

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#701WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 10:03am

Is it possible that the show will utilize its entire preview period and have critics review the show on Opening Night or does it need to be frozen by sometime this coming weekend/early next week for the critics?

schmoe
#702WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 11:48am

I was there Friday night as well and noticed the blood on Sherie's knee and shin, but was amazed that it was there before and after intermission and then disappeared sometime in the second act. Overall, I found the show to be entertaining in a number of ways and less than exciting in others. A mixed bag for sure, but I ended up happy to have seen and experienced it and would be interested in seeing it again, with changes.

heo1128
#703WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 12:34pm

dshnookie, where's your avatar from?

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#704WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 12:38pm

Sorry for the gaps; to answer the semi-burning questions - as of the 10/22 show, there was no finale song and the cast took a group bow. Frankly, that was fine with me - it was definitely a group effort. I also think Sherie Rene is getting a bit of a bad rap - someone has to be the glue in this show since the whole thing is (rightfully so) pretty manic. The thing is, what was done right in this show was done SO right that it tended to compensate for the draggy moments. Yeah, both acts could use some tightening and livening up - but I had the same anticipation for this show that I had for Addams Family; I left Addams pretty much brokenhearted, but walked away from this one with a huge grin on my face.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#705WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/25/10 at 12:42pm

dshnookie, where's your avatar from?

There's a brief article in New York Magazine with that picture.

Keeping Up With Almodóvar: The women of Women.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

dramarama3
#706WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 1:24am

bump

Formerly 'dramarama2'

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#707WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 1:32am

If anyone goes tonight, PLEASE report back on this new opening.
I also have a feeling Danny Burstein will have a new song tonight.

heo1128
#708WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 2:17am

Thanks, givesmevoice!

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#709WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 8:13am

I got an email this morning from LCT with an invitation to a talk-back with the creatives of Women on the Verge, if anyone's interested:

Join us on Thursday, October 28, at 6:00pm for a conversation with Jeffrey Lane (Book), David Yazbek (Music & Lyrics) and Bartlett Sher (Director), co-creators of the new musical, WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN, now playing on Broadway at the Belasco Theatre.

Note: It's in the lobby of the Beaumont, not at the Belasco.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#710WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 11:32am

While he's not exactly a theater critic, Nathaniel over at The Film Experience gave the show a D+ in his sidebar ratings list. For a comparison, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson got a B+. This show, filled with all these Broadway divas, should have been enough to satisfy the admitted actressexual and Almodovar fan, but it didn't. He hasn't written a formal review, though I'm sure he'll get around to it for one of his freelancing jobs when the show opens.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#711WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 11:35am

^ Well that means nothing. The show isn't even frozen yet, as we know big changes are going in tonight.

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#712WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 12:23pm

I saw this show on October 16. Does anyone know what, if any, changes have gone in since then?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#713WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 12:26pm

Nothing major has changed since the first early set of changes: cutting "Shoes From Heaven" & "Lie to Me Reprise." Adding "Crazy Heart" reprise for the Concierge.

The only change from those changes I noticed on Sunday was that the Concierge's "Crazy Heart" reprise was sung in Spanish.

But it seems like tonight's changes will be quite major.
Updated On: 10/26/10 at 12:26 PM

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#714WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 12:31pm

Thanks, ljay! Jeez, I'd forgotten about that "Crazy Heart" reprise for Mary Beth Piel. That was excruciating to watch. It was just stuck in there. And now she sings it in Spanish? Good Lord.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#715WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 1:41pm

LCT has postponed this week's conversation with Sher and co.

http://familycircle.typepad.com/family-circle/

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#716WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 1:53pm

They didn't give a revised date. Perhaps it's cancelled altogether. Could this be the shape of things to come?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#717WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 3:58pm

I second ljay! If anyone goes tonight, please please please report back!

kyle4
#718WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 6:39pm

LCT has postponed this week's conversation with Sher and co.

https://familycircle.typepad.com/family-circle/

what could they POSSIBLY say? lord....

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=29&thread=1022953&boardid=1#ixzz13VVu1q6t

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#719WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 11:06pm

I hope somebody was there!

Yankeefan007
#720WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/26/10 at 11:53pm

From what I've heard from a few friends who were there tonight, MADRID now opens the show.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#721WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/27/10 at 12:08am

I figured they'd make that change. Is "My Crazy Heart" gone? Is the overture gone too?
I liked the dark/mysterious opening, but it didn't match the tone of the rest of the show. Updated On: 10/27/10 at 12:08 AM

dramarama3
#722WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/27/10 at 12:15am

Madrid seems much better suited to the opening of the show than Act 2 to me. Logical.

Does this mean big changes to Act 2 as well?

Formerly 'dramarama2'

Joey. Profile Photo
Joey.
#723WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/27/10 at 12:46am

^ Hopefully the show has a finale now.

bwayfan7000
#724WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/27/10 at 12:46am

It seems like putting Madrid at the top of the show achieves a few goals. It gives the show the uptempo opening that many feel it needs, it gives the song an appropriate context and it (I assume) makes Burstein the narrator of the whole show, which creates a continuity that many felt was lacking. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the changes!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos