pixeltracker

Currently Reading (Take 2)- Page 10

Currently Reading (Take 2)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#225re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 4:29pm

spider's right! The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the first part of Stieg Larsson's trilogy, which become a HUGE sensation in Europe and has recently found its way to the US. I'd never heard of it until my partner showed up this summer and told me I had to read it. The second book, entitled The Girl Who Played With Fire, has just been released here though the entire trilogy as well as a feature film of the first book have long since been out in Europe. Unfortunately, there are no recent plans for distribution of the film in the US as I'm sure Hollywood wants to bastardize its own treatment, but I am dying to see it!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#226re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 4:31pm

Does the movie in Europe hold the same title, or is it called something else?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#227re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 4:34pm

Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol"
(well, I'll start reading it tonight...)

Plum - I'm impressed!!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 9/15/09 at 04:34 PM

Roscoe
#228re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 4:45pm

Finishing up Pynchon's INHERENT VICE, good rowdy fun.

Up next -- dunno.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#229re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 5:53pm

Addy - I am on the list on my library to get it. Can't wait!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
#230re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 6:09pm

Ooooh, thanks you guys! I'm so going to look for that the next time I'm at the library.

KFTC!!!!!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#231re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 6:12pm

spider - The Swedish title for the film is Män Som Hatar Kvinnor.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#232re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/15/09 at 6:15pm

Right now, I'm half way through Flowers for Algernon. I read the short story that it's expanded from back in 2005 and have wanted to read the novel for quite some time.

Next I want to read Waiter Rant, which I saw at Barnes and Noble and thought looked entertaining. But right now my friend is reading Kathy Griffin's new book and wants me to borrow it when she's finished. I'm not really a Griffin fan, but I told her I'd give it a try.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#233re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/16/09 at 8:57am

awww, I had to read Flowers for Algernon several times between grammar school and HS. I love that book. My favorite books read from required reading was that, A Seperate Peace, I am the Cheese, and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I can re read any of them at any time.

Addy - I just picked up that book yesterday from Target. I have a very large love/hate relationship with Dan Brown, but figure I'd give good 'ol Langdon another go.

I finally finished The Time Travelers Wife and was very disappointed in the ending, but otherwise it was a good book.

Now I am reading The Ice Queen: A Novel by Alice Hoffman. Fictional story about a girl who is struck by lightning and the aftermath phsyically, etc. I think there is supposed to be a love story in there at some point.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

colleen_lee
#235re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 12/13/09 at 5:59pm

Reading An Orchestra Beyond Borders: Voices of the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra by Elena Cheah and I am LOVING it. Of course, I am very interested in Israeli-Palestinian relations after dating a Palestinian for 7 years.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#236re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 12/13/09 at 6:01pm

re: Currently Reading (Take 2)

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#237re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 12/13/09 at 11:51pm

The Seven Dials Mystery - Agatha Christie.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#238re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 12/14/09 at 9:09am

Paul Rudnick's I SHUDDER ..... where else could I learn about the only nun who gets to vote for the Oscars.....

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

Roscoe
#239re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 12/14/09 at 10:51am

I read GIRL WITH DRAGON TATTOO until I just lost interest, somehow. Some great stuff, though, including a particularly tasty bit of revenge.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#240re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 7:48am

Let's bump this!

Updated On: 7/25/10 at 07:48 AM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#241re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 8:19am

I just read Webster's Duchess of Malfi which has some fantastic enough dialogue that I turned several page corners down so I could easily find it again later, and I usually treat my books well. D: My ongoing mission is to finish Stephen King's Under the Dome, although the sheer weight of it is genuinely what is preventing me from reading it faster, then I'm on to The Girl who Played with Fire. Oh, and I'm simultaneously reading Romeo and Juliet, Henry V, and Richard III, depending on what bag I have on me at the time. XD

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#242re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 10:32am

Recently finished:

"Game Change" by John Heilemann & Mark Halperin
"Hot Seat" by Frank Rich
"Without You.." by Anthony Rapp

Currently reading:

"Mainly on Directing" by Arthur Laurents
"Harold Prince - A Director's Journey" by Carol Ilson

Catching up on theater reading. I am behind!

Just give the world Love.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#243re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 10:41am

Just finished It's Kind of a Funny Story and it was really good.

Here is a trailer for the film version coming out

Movie trailer

Updated On: 7/25/10 at 10:41 AM

wonkit
#244re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 10:46am

I'm almost half way through FREE FOR ALL, the oral history autobiography/biography of Joe Papp. Fascinating stuff, and an amazing cast of characters get to remember Joe and the Public Theater experience.

StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
#245re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 11:02am

I just finished reading the "Queen of Babble" series. Silly easy summer reading stuff. They were cute and funny though.

KFTC!!!!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#246re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 11:09am

wonkit, glad you posted that. I was in the library last week looking through books to see if there was something on Papp. I totally forgot about this book. I am heading to pick it up today!

Just give the world Love.

Craww
#247re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 11:12am

Just finished Bonk by Mary Roach. Currently reading The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell.

I'll likely finish today, so then I'll be starting Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. But I'm bringing the third book in the Dark Tower series (The Waste Lands, I think) in case I don't find Palahniuk to be palatable for reading at work.

colleen_lee
#248re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 11:19am

I am participating in a "Shakespeare in a Year" challenge (www.shakespeareinayear.com) so I am currently working on As You Like It.

I am also smack in the middle of A Tale of Two Cities.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Plum
#249re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 3:02pm

The Age of Wonder: The Romantic Generation and the Discovery of the Beauty and Terror of Science, by Richard Holmes

My past few books:

Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell
Presumed Innocent - Scott Turow
The Bullpen Gospels: Major League Dreams of a Minor League Veteran - Dirk Hayhurst

wonkit
#250re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 7/25/10 at 4:31pm

uncageg - let me know what you think about FREE FOR ALL. I can't seem to find anyone else who has read it.

I can't seem to get through any Scott Turow. Listened to Presumed Innocent on tape when it first came out. Kinda plods along.

Anyone else read the Lapham's Quarterly? I just got my first issue, and I am full of wonderment! And the subject is SPORTS AND GAMES, not one of my passions - yet.

Videos