pixeltracker

The UK says goodbye to the EU- Page 2

The UK says goodbye to the EU

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#25The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 5:04pm

They didn't, I think so many leave supporters thought this was a government thing (conservatives, Labour etc) and a lot just heard 'immigration'. It's such a strange day here in the UK.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#26The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 5:48pm

At least Trump weighed in:

http://mashable.com/2016/06/24/trump-tweet-brexit/#3Bzlci8Znsqs

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#27The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 7:46pm

Did they not see the condradiction about Scotland? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#28The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 7:46pm

Did they not see the condradiction about Scotland? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Liza's Headband
#29The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 11:02pm

Do you really not know how to spell the word "contradiction?"

songanddanceman2
#30The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 5:44am

Liza, go play near a volcano. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 8:33am

This is getting out of hand!

The UK says goodbye to the EU

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#32The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 11:20am

songanddanceman2 said: "Liza, go play near a volcano. "

Correction: Go Play near an erupting volcano.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#33The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 2:37pm

what the hell is a Brexit though?

i love that some of the most-googled terms following the vote were things like "what does it mean to leave the EU?" the fact that people voted if they had no clue what it meant is terrifying to me.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

AEA AGMA SM
#34The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 3:27pm

gypsy101 said: "what the hell is a Brexit though?

i love that some of the most-googled terms following the vote were things like "what does it mean to leave the EU?" the fact that people voted if they had no clue what it meant is terrifying to me.
"

I like how the assumption is that Google search spike was from everyone who voted to leave. It could just as easily have been made up of the 48% of the voters who voted to stay and are now checking to see how screwed they truly may be. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 3:40pm

Anyone else hearing that the referendum was not binding and that it will be overturned by Parliament?

songanddanceman2
#36The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 3:41pm

Sorry but I don't care how harsh this sounds but the stay voters seem to have actually done research in their decisions, I see it all over Facebook, well thought out articulated reasons. The leave voters are the oldies who have no idea what's happening and want to take us backwards and the idiots thinking it meant it would stop immigration (not true). The leave voters were lied to in a big way and it's all coming out now. Our country is in a shambles right now.  

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#37The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 3:43pm

What are the biggest ramifications of the vote for UK citizens?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

songanddanceman2
#38The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 4:16pm

Financial instability is the main one, it could very easily plunge us in to a recession, the lack of power on a global scale, having to sort out trade deals from scratch, roaming will change, instability in the government, housing prices,  The list is endless 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#39The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 4:23pm

I suspected as much:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

The British political environment got even more interesting- Do MP's vote their party OR as their constituents have shown how they want them to vote?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/25/16 at 9:51pm

Over 2.7 million have signed so far. 

songanddanceman2--will you make sure everyone on the London board sees this?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#41The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 3:46am

Another question which should have been considered more prior to the formation of the EU was simply, What should be the limits of political power. Was this meant to be an economic venture or a political one where leadership in Brussels became the equivalent of our federal government. I don't think that is how the population of the various countries thought the EU would be but more and more that is what it has become.

Certainly the older people see that happening and, in spite of the reality of globalization, they like it better the way it was when their own political leaders could control internal policy. The people who control the EU have taken more and more power. That may be necessary economically but it is a double edge sword.

As for Trump. He is a moron, plain and simple. He cares more about his golf courses than the US. The fact that this plays into his hands almost doesn't matter because it is clear from his comments in Scotland that he is too stupid to take advantage of it. If he had half a brain he could currently be hammering Hillary on any number of issues instead he talks about golf courses and attacks a courageous judge.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#42The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 7:49am

Interestingly, Brexit proponent Nigel Farage, possibly anticipating a close loss, had stated that a 52/48 loss should not be definitive, and he would push for a 2nd referendum.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#43The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 10:03am

Was this meant to be an economic venture or a political one

You can't separate them, as this article demonstrates about how women are likely to be hit disproportionately by a Brexit.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/06/24/without_eu_employment_protections_u_k_women_may_suffer_after_brexit.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#45The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 12:57pm

More analysis:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/06/26/brexit-leaves-britain-virtually-leaderless-as-political-turmoil-intensifies.html

Of course while this dance is going on, the actual business of running a country gets pushed to the side.

Call_me_jorge
#46The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 1:08pm

I know the royal family aren't the head of government, but have any of them commented on the vote?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#47The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 1:53pm

NO. and they won't/can't. The Constitutional Monarchy is enjoined from commenting directly on politics.

Yes I know Wills made a speech that could  be construed as political statement but he has denied that it was specifically about Brexit.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#48The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 6:14pm

Question: Post referendum, has there been any talk of Britain relinquishing her 14 overseas colonies including Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands(aka Malvinas)?

Non-Self-Governing Territories

Someone outside this forum reminded me of how the the world map looked right after the end of WW2. 

Colonization in 1945

I don't mean to make light of the dire situation.  It's just that somehow sovereignty in the context of British colonies seems to get lost in the larger discussion of European sovereignty against the backdrop of EU.

Also, WaPo presented a disturbing profile today of the European versions of The Donald.

Meet the European leaders hoping to cause the next Brexit

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 6/26/16 at 06:14 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#49The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/26/16 at 7:20pm

How lovely! There is a pretty petition now aimed at all the Brits who had no idea what they were voting on when they chose to leave... Do you think we'll be so lucky if Trump wins? Will the morons get the chance to rethink (Can they think?) after reality sets in?

"You see we pitter, Twitter, and resolve...not one damn thing do we solve..."

Videos