pixeltracker

Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role - Page 2

Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#25Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/6/18 at 10:10am

I just thought it'd be interesting to note that the reason why ScarJo was hired in Ghost in the Shell was because of her box office draw. I know a lot of people have tried to rationalize her casting but it did hit a nerve with those who are more cognizant about the history of whitewashing Asian characters. Plus, on the business side, people rationalized it by saying there were no Asian actors who would be big draws for this film and it would be a BO failure without someone of her stature. It was still a Box Office bomb but nobody blames her for it or at least not to the point where it hindered her career. However, had they actually cast an Asian person for it and it was a a BO failure, then the lesson many studios and would-be experts online would have learned was to not cast any more Asian people. 

The reason why I bring this up is because Crazy Rich Asians has now made more money than any non-Marvel or animated (where we don't see her face at all) ScarJo film. I think some times people make too big of an ado about an actor's drawing power in of itself when it's really the material that attracts people and ensuring its marketed in a way to inspire people to go and simply timing and being put out at a time where the subject matter of the film would interest people (something that is very difficult to guess). Then the movie has to be good enough to garner great word-of-mouth. The movie that is the subject of this thread would most likely not be a big box office draw with or without ScarJo, so why not try to find someone a little more authentic to the role. This is more of a prestige picture anyway that is made to garner critic's attention and possibly awards. Some times those movies do become hits, but it takes a special recipe and great timing and interest in the subject matter for that to happen.

In the end of the day, I think it's the rationalization as to why we hire someone like ScarJo and not acknowledging it's a cycle Hollywood has created and keeps perpetuating, the very little opportunities many actors of different gender identities, ethnicity, race, color, etc. receive and the long history of accepted discrimination in casting and all the sub-issues that all of that entails that explains why there's an uproar now. I think if there was simply many more opportunities and trans actors start getting cast in non-trans roles then people in the community would better accept ScarJo playing a pre-transitioning trans character because she's not taking the ONE role that could have gone to a trans actor.

Updated On: 9/6/18 at 10:10 AM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#26Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/6/18 at 12:44pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I just thought it'd be interesting to note that the reason why ScarJo was hired inGhost in the Shellwas because of her box office draw. I know a lot of people have tried to rationalize her casting but it did hit a nerve with those who are more cognizant about the history of whitewashing Asian characters. Plus, on the business side, people rationalized it by saying there were no Asian actors who would be big draws for this film and it would be a BO failure without someone of her stature. It was still a Box Office bomb but nobody blames her for it or at least not to the point where it hindered her career. However, had they actually cast an Asian person for it and it was a a BO failure, then the lesson many studios and would-be experts online would have learned was to not cast any more Asian people.

The reason why I bring this up is because Crazy Rich Asians has now made more money than any non-Marvel or animated (where we don't see her face at all) ScarJo film. I think some times people make too big of an ado about an actor's drawing power in of itself when it's really the material that attracts people and ensuring its marketed in a way to inspire people to go and simply timing and being put out at a time where the subject matter of the film would interest people (something that is very difficult to guess). Then the movie has to be good enough to garner great word-of-mouth. The movie that is the subject of this thread would most likely not be a big box office draw with or without ScarJo, so why not try to find someone a little more authentic to the role. This is more of a prestige picture anyway that is made to garner critic's attention and possibly awards. Some times those movies do become hits, but it takes a special recipe and great timing and interest in the subject matter for that to happen.

In the end of the day, I think it's the rationalization as to why we hire someone like ScarJo and not acknowledging it's a cycle Hollywood has created and keeps perpetuating, the very little opportunities many actors of different gender identities, ethnicity, race, color, etc. receive and the long history of accepted discrimination in casting and all the sub-issues that all of that entails that explains why there's an uproar now. I think if there was simply many more opportunities and trans actors start getting cast in non-trans roles then people in the community would better accept ScarJo playing a pre-transitioning trans character because she's not taking the ONE role that could have gone to a trans actor.
"

Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/6/18 at 1:14pm

Trans actors need more visibility overall and need to be in the audition room and called in for casting more often. This doesn't mean that big names cis actors can't play trans. Trans individual need to be shown in other capacities, where their being trans isn't the focus. Just cast them as neighbors, friends, leads, non-leads based on their talent and ability. As someone else said, the most visible and lucrative trans actor right now. Laverne Cox isn't a particularly good actor imo. There are far better. I recently saw a film where a trans actor played a health provider. They weren't there to educate or because they were trans. They were convincing in the role and therein lies the social change. They were just there, like anyone else. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/6/18 at 3:15pm

I get rather torn with this issue.  I 'get' wanting to tell your stories, AND having visibility - but no actors are who they play: trans, gay, Jewish, murderer, jealous wife beater, nag, Nazi, concentration victim, teachers.  

Can the only person to play a wheel chair bound character actually BE in a wheelchair?   I hope not, I'm producing a play this winter that has a character that uses forearm crutches - I don't have a physically handicapped person in my drama program.  But I can tell you, whomever DOES play the role, is certainly going to learn a helluva lot by doing it.

As I said, torn am I.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#29Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/6/18 at 6:48pm

This comes up all the time in several contexts.  I recall the outrage in some parts after Jennifer Lopez who is of Puerto Rican descent was cast as the lead in the biopic of slain Tejana singer Selena.  Later, Angelina Jolie faced a similar backlash after being cast as the Cuban American widow of slain journalist Daniel Pearl, Marianne Pearl.  And most recently, the black twitter-sphere went to DEFCON 1 after Zoe Saldana was cast as Nina Simone in a biopic that was barely watchable for a number of reasons.

I don't have any answers and am somewhat torn as well.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#30Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/9/18 at 3:38pm

javero said: "This comes up all the time in several contexts. I recall the outrage in some parts after Jennifer Lopez who is of Puerto Rican descent was cast as the lead in the biopic of slain Tejana singer Selena. Later, Angelina Jolie faced a similar backlash after being cast as the Cuban American widow of slain journalist Daniel Pearl, Marianne Pearl. And most recently, the black twitter-sphere went to DEFCON 1 after Zoe Saldana was cast as Nina Simone in abiopic that was barely watchable for a number of reasons.

I'm also torn on this as well. dramamama611 hit the nail on the head when they wrote: "...but no actors are  who they play. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 9/9/18 at 03:38 PM

robskynyc
#31Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:18am

Theater_Nerd said: "javero said: "This comes up all the time in several contexts. I recall the outrage in some parts after Jennifer Lopez who is of Puerto Rican descent was cast as the lead in the biopic of slain Tejana singer Selena. Later, Angelina Jolie faced a similar backlash after being cast as the Cuban American widow of slain journalist Daniel Pearl, Marianne Pearl. And most recently, the black twitter-sphere went to DEFCON 1 after Zoe Saldana was cast as Nina Simone in abiopic that was barely watchable for a number of reasons.

I'm also torn on this as well. dramamama611 hit the nail on the head when they wrote: "...but no actors are who they play.

"ok but the dark make up and fake nose was UNFORGIVEABLE.

robskynyc
#32Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:19am

and ok. true Laverne cant act. but after watching POSE, MJ Rodriguez is an amazing actress. LOVED her.

Simón Bolívar
#33Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/17/18 at 3:01am

Lily Garland said: "Would you approve of a white actor playing a black character? A Latinx character? An Asian character?
Like this 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZJx5XjB9tw

but I think we have changed from the 70s thank god. And giving representation to 'minorities' (I hate that word) I am disabled and hate to call myself a minority but maybe disability is not a minority. Anyway but it should be based on talent. Having said that if they saw no 'trans actors' then maybe there is something wrong

Simón Bolívar
#34Scarlett Johansson drops out of transgender role
Posted: 9/17/18 at 3:02am

Or a non white actor playing a white one ? But no show would ever do that. 

Videos