pixeltracker

Currently Reading (Take 2)- Page 29

Currently Reading (Take 2)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#700re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/26/12 at 1:28pm

^ I found that part to be fascinating! It was pretty graphic though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
#701re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/26/12 at 4:48pm

It was definitely interesting, but I felt so horrible for those little girls!

KFTC!!!!!

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#702re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/26/12 at 8:08pm

I bought Gore Vidal's memoir "Palimpsest" after his recent death and am partway through. And I was just given "Butterfly in the Typewriter," a biography about John Kennedy Toole (author of "A Confederacy of Dunces"), which I started reading today.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

StockardFan
#703re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/27/12 at 2:43am

Now I'm reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

KFTC!!!!!

StockardFan
#704re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 8/27/12 at 2:44am

Oh sorry. I said that already.

KFTC!!!!!

Roscoe
#706re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:27pm

Reading WHO GOES THERE?, the novella that the various versions of THE THING were based on. Interesting, speedy read.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#707re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:36pm

Stockard - I'm very curious to hear what you think of Snow Flower. I absolutely loved it. I had such a morbid curiosity about the foot binding, I Google images of it on the internet and it's just unreal. I can't imagine putting myself through that kind of torture.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#708re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:53pm

I loved that book. It was completely absorbing. And a fascinating look into aspects of a culture I knew very little about.

I also read 'Peony in Love' by Lisa See. She's a gifted writer.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

StockardFan
#709re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/5/12 at 12:56pm

I loved it too. I have Peony in Love on my waiting list at the e-library. I swear I posted another post here today. Has anyone read The Third Twin by Ken Follet?

KFTC!!!!!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#710re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 9/5/12 at 1:32pm

I am reading book three of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series! A very good series with lots of history, romance, suspense, and great characters. If you like "saga-like" historical fiction, I would definitely recommend checking out her books!
re: Currently Reading (Take 2)

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#711re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/22/12 at 7:42pm

Richard Ford's Canada

It's okay. A little dreary, hardly a page-turner, but written beautifully as per usual.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Plum
#712re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/22/12 at 7:54pm

Biggest Brother, by Larry Alexander

Yes, this was prompted by a Band of Brothers rewatch. DON'T JUDGE ME.

StockardFan
#713re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/22/12 at 8:38pm

I just read a book called Black Out by Lisa Unger. It was a psychological thriller. I'm still a little confused as to what was real and what was only in her head. It was pretty good though.

KFTC!!!!!

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#714re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/22/12 at 8:53pm

I found a used, in good condition, hard copy of Pauline Kael's FOR KEEPS. Since it is reviews and some essays, I have been going all over the place looking at her old stuff. I know some of her negative critiques got attention but her rave of The Godfather Part II is sublimely written among other stuff.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#715re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/23/12 at 8:29am

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Already read Gone Girl & Sharp Objects. She's not my favorite, but she is not bad.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

StockardFan
#716re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/23/12 at 12:21pm

Gone Girl is our book club book for December (we are skipping November because of T-giving)

KFTC!!!!!

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#717re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/23/12 at 8:40pm

I always read horror in October. I just finished King's Carrie, I can't believe I have never read it. It's great and still relevant.
Now I am reading Dean Koontz Phantoms. I am not a Koontz fan, but a freind recommended this as a creepy, scary Halloween read. I am 150 pages in and enjoying it so far.

Yawper
#718re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/23/12 at 10:58pm

There's so little non-fiction, especially history, mentioned. It's reflected in bookstore and library stacks, too, - very disheartening.

Anyway, my current read, State of Deception, was published by the US Holocaust Memorial Museum in 2009 as a companion piece to the exhibit they were running at the time. It's been surprising in that never before have I seen the Nazis revealed as so calculatingly politically aware and utterly in control of what they were doing during their rise to power and the pre-war years.

It's also apropos of the recent US election cycles where blatant propaganda and media-driven sound bites have dominated to the exclusion of honest discussion and presentation.

State of Deception Updated On: 10/23/12 at 10:58 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#719re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/24/12 at 1:24am

Depends--memoirs seem to still be huge sellers. To be honest, I read so much non-fiction for school and work, that a thread like this makes me think of what I read as a break from that--mainly fiction. (I also admit that when I read non-fiction I tend to read it differently--depending of course on how it's written--skipping around or reading a collection of essays in whatever order I want).

State of Deception sounds interesting.

Jay Lerner-Z
#720re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/24/12 at 1:38am

Just before Canada, I read a book full of excerpts from memoirs - ranging from Albert Einstein to Billie Holiday to Stephen Fry...'twas fascinating!

Um, I can't seem to remember the name of it though.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Plum
#721re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/24/12 at 4:59am

Weirdly, now that I'm out of school I've shifted more towards reading non-fiction on my own rather than just when it was assigned to me. Right now I'm almost done with the Richard Winters biography and have started one of Jo Mielziner.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#722re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/24/12 at 6:07am

The new Tom Wolfe novel just came out. Going to B&N today to get a copy!

....but the world goes 'round

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#723re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/24/12 at 8:22am

The new John Grisham came out yesterday, The Rackateers. I'm excited!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#724re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/24/12 at 9:50am

I just finished Broadway Nights by Seth Rudetsky. Haven't decided what I'm going to read next.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Jay Lerner-Z
#725re: Currently Reading (Take 2)
Posted: 10/25/12 at 9:51pm

I leafed through Bill O'Reilly's Killing Kennedy today by way of procrastination, and despite the author being a moron it didn't totally suck. I have no intention of finishing it, though - a flick will suffice. 666 reviews on amazon too, which I thought appropriate.

Videos