pixeltracker

The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion- Page 10

The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#225The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:34pm

jv92- I don't think it makes a difference if it's the first preview or the final performance. It doesn't matter if it's a musical or a play, on Broadway or Off, or even if the show was brilliant or a steaming pile of sh!t.

She works in the industry (or would like to continue doing so), and she needs to be aware that the cast and crew could be former or future colleagues. Publicly she should have nothing but praise for any production. She doesn't like something she should publicly keep her mouth shut. Behind closed doors she can trash actors, authors and creative teams all she wants, but not when making statements for public consumption.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#226The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:35pm

Morgan James also brought us this tweet on the day Tony nominations were announced:
https://twitter.com/morganajames/status/197334842160058368
@morganajames

wow. 3rd year in a row
7:41 AM - 1 May 12 via web · Embed this Tweet

I guess she felt that Addams Family, Wonderland, and Godspell were all snubbed of Best (Revival of a) Musical nominations?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#227The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:38pm

ok i'm sick of hearing about this morgan girl. where are the reviews?

budfrump Profile Photo
budfrump
#228The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:39pm

Huge diva. Like everyone is saying, she is probably just bitter about not getting to be a part of the production. Did anyone in the Broadway community bitch tweet about Wonderland or Addams Family or Godspell? Not that I remember hearing about.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#229The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:40pm

Whizzer, I agree. I was trying to make reference to the fact that at a first preview it is in EXTREMELY bad taste.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#230The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:41pm

Unless they've drastically change their concept...there is no way this production is offensive sexually. I'm sorry that SPOILER..the wolf eats Grandmother.

morgan james
?@morganajames
@ScottAlanNet I'm sorry to offend. It's not about 'not supporting'. The prod/dir was offensive (sexually) and it just wasn't for me.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#231The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:43pm

Could she mean either the Wolf/Little Red or The Prince/The Baker's Wife?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#232The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:44pm

That was really rough. I felt for the cast. They clearly have not had enough time in the space. I hated the staging; everyone is constantly out of breath from running up and down the stairs. It's aimless and messy and people are pulling focus from the action. It's never clear where to look. The Witch isn't able to pop "magically" into scenes because she has to go slowly limping offstage, which takes awhile. But there were many flubbed lines, huge issues with the orchestra, etc, most of which I can chalk up to not enough time in the space. Everyone really needs to go over their lyrics. With Sondheim in the house, I was getting super secondhand-embarrassed.

Donna Murphy flubbed several lines and apparently got something stuck in her throat during Last Midnight - she started coughing and clearing her throat in between phrases. She seemed totally lost to me. Denis O'Hare just isn't likeable. He's sort of a quirky mishmash right now - not a clear character at all, and certainy difficult to connect to. Amy Adams is fine, but Jessie Mueller is the clear standout. Her acting was excellent and she sounded lovely when not out of breath from running up and down the stairs.

What really bothered me was the backphrasing and tempo issues, but a lot of that is probably due to the lack of tech runs. I would be interested to go back when they have firmed it up, but I still think I'll hate the staging.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#233The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:45pm

The producer and director were offensive sexually? 'Cuz that's kind of what that tweet says. In any event, maybe it's good she missed the original production with the giant wolf penis.

Updated On: 7/24/12 at 11:45 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#234The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:46pm

Thanks for the review ShbrtAlley44!

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#235The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:46pm

The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion

James’ retort to Scott Allen. WHAT WHAT WHAT?!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#236The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:47pm

Maybe it's good she missed the original production with the giant wolf penis.

Amen.

Questions for those who have seen it: Are they using the full Lament and extended Children Will Listen like they did in London? Also, is Last Midnight sung to the baby, with some back and forth lyrics of both versions at the end?

Our Little World is not being used, right?

Updated On: 7/24/12 at 11:47 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#237The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:47pm

What did Oskar Eustis ever do to you Morgan?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#238The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:48pm

I imagine the set is something the actors will grow more comfortable with. If you watch the Regents Park recording, the staging doesn't seem awkward at all, and the actors all seem perfectly fine, granted they may have built up their stamina.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Sinfonian4life Profile Photo
Sinfonian4life
#239The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:49pm

I missed what Hunter did!

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#240The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:50pm

Yes, they used the extended song."Our Little World" was in the playbill but was not performed. And they used the baby lyrics from the revival and she ended it with "Mother, here I come," but used the "Give me claws and a hunch" section.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#242The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:51pm

NOOOOO! Not the "revised" "Last Midnight!"

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#243The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion

it still needs work. the staging is very busy and a lot of things need to be tightened up but i still enjoyed it despite that. i know they were having a lot of technical problems last week with the weather, and honestly i was expecting a lot worse. the design elements were of course extraordinary, once it started getting dark that set was downright magical.

just a few thoughts on the performances: sarah stiles was the unexpected standout, little red has never been a favorite of mine but her interpretation was very funny and very different from danielle ferland's. jessie mueller was also wonderful. denis o'hare was the biggest disappointment for me, he flubbed some lyrics and while he had some good moments i wasn't really feeling his characterization overall. donna seemed to be having some vocal problems, she was coughing during "last midnight" and was holding back on a lot of the big belting moments. amy adams was good but not a revelation, her take on the role is very gleason-lite at the moment.

that said, i was sobbing like a baby at the end and i'm dying to see it again later in the run.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#244The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion

Thanks! That's what they did in London. But such a shame that "Our Little World" is not being performed.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#245The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:53pm

Orchestra's live, right? And how does it sound? It's not Gemignani conducting, right?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#246The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:53pm

What were the costumes like?! Dying to know about them.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#247The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:54pm

Gemignani is listed as the Musical Director.

Also, does it sound like Donna Murphy is using the original keys? I wonder if she'd benefit from the lower Vanessa Williams keys.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#248The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:57pm

Bwayphreak, someone said this on ATC.

" The funky/punk costuming is a mixed bag"

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2086712

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#249The Public Theatre's Shakespeare/Park presents INTO THE WOODS -- Discussion
Posted: 7/24/12 at 11:58pm

There were many misses and bumps along the way. I'm sure those will get worked out as this is the first preview. But I don't truly understand the concept, the staging and storytelling is confusing, and I think it's near impossible to do the show without a conductor bringing in the actors.

For those keeping score, the revival lyrics of Last Midnight are used, they added the lost verse of Children Will Listen after the first verse, and Our Little World was listed in the Playbill but not sung.

Amy Adams and Denis O'Hare are fine on their own, but their relationship needs tweaking (in the theatrical sense). Their argument in the second act was somewhat rewritten. I don't think it had the same impact as the original lines.

Donna had a bit of a rough act 2. She was not with the orchestra at all at points in Lament. She had a pretty bad coughing fit when she was singing to the baby in Last Midnight. She also forgot a line in Children Will Listen.

There were numerous times when the actors were not with the orchestra. Now I know this is a notorious score and it's near impossible to hear what's right or wrong, but as someone who knows this score inside out, it was very obvious that the actors were struggling to hear their entrances or beat without a conductor physically in front of them.

The direction is just confusing. Yes, transitions were rough and awkward and that stuff will get worked out, but it's not really clear what is going on in the first act. And the craziness in the second act seemed tame. The approaches to each act should have been reversed. And the boy narrator...I just don't get it. It's not really clear why he's the narrator or why the characters depend on him and in this concept, it doesn't make sense why the story even continues after they feed him to the giant, which just felt wrong.

Also, No One Is Alone was probably the biggest mess of the show. Lighting cues were off and Jessie and Denis were not together at all. Jessie kept missing her cues it seems. Could she not hear? It made Denis seem wrong whenever he sang even though he was on top of it. In fact, Denis O'Hare sang every correct note and rhythm as Sondheim wrote it, something I haven't heard from other Bakers. It made his parts in You Fault and No More illuminated. He sang every one of Sondheim's strange intervals and sang them correctly. You have to commend him for that.

Chip Zien in No More. Everything was right in the world when that happened. Just all and every emotion.

Videos