pixeltracker

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED- Page 10

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

fairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
#225Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:13am

I've also sat through 9 pages of posts, some great, some awful, on either side of the argument.
i really resent people who say that people are dumb etc because they hold a different opinion.

right, onto the matter at hand.
imho, its a great idea. as a UK poster and penniless out-of-work actor I would luuurve to be able to afford to see everything I want to, but I can't. I can barely afrod to support my friends in shows they are currently appreaing in, never mind try out everything else. so services like this would mean that eventually i would be able to experience a show, even if it isn't live. also, there are many shows that either don't come over here (or to other countries) that I would be able to check out, and I would be able to see some of the original or highly praised casts that wouldn't arrive in the UK.

I completely agree that it should only be made available once a run has finished, as an actor i appreciate that you can't do anything that would harm a show's profits and therefore the chances of it doing well. i aslo think that doug has made it very clear thta he's out there to make sure he does eveything not only above board but with the highest respect for all the actors/production staff etc involved. i mean, i'm up for anything that requires the actors get paid twice!

and yes, if something like this had been around earlier, just imagine the experiences we could have shared, the infamous performances, the flops that you would love to finally see. i also love my dvds of taped (check out the spelling, again) shows, and i know they aren't the same as live - no-one was ever saying they were. its just another way to appreciate them, perhaps the only way for some people.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#226Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:42am

I love to go to NYC and see the shows in person. But I *LOVE* being able to see it whenever I want to on a DVD or video.

People who love Broadway are genuinely VERY passionate about it. They would pay to buy the videos and have the footage regardless of going to the theatre or being able to go or not.

My opinion is I would like to see it happen and feel that it would not affect people going to the theatre itself, but would only allow people who can't afford to go the chance to see a musical they want to see.

Waiting until a shows' closing notice goes up might be another alternative.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 5/28/06 at 11:42 AM

icantbelive
#227Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:50am

It's a great thing to do but do it after either the cast is over or the show has had its run. PLEASE, it may ruin the theatre comunitty if it is not done this way, so just be careful. Otherwise it's a great thing!

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#228Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:52am

Is THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA being videotaped? I wish....

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#229Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:54am

Thanks very much for your replies on this.

Last October, when Apple were launching the Video IPOD, this was a hot topic which I brought to this Bulletin Board to get support and enthusiasm.

It really surprised me that it had such negative feedback.

Now 8 months later and BBW are doing their own TV station, YouTube are doing their thing, Apple IPOD is now sending out Video Podcasts and the world now sees a total shift on how broadcasting will be done. It was like I said the earth was round, when everyone thought it was flat.

It is wrong if theatre and musicals are not part of this shift. Reality TV is good but our plays are much better. Simon Cowell is good, but with musicals, we can do so much more.

How it works, is that I create regional production teams which include producer, film crew, editor and interviewer. I setup an independent film network 7 years ago and this has now reached New York and this is where I hire most of the crew.

The Producers work with the theatre companies to agree the filming schedule. We film interviews, and some rehearsals to give initial footage and this can also be used to promote that production, while giving audiences a snippet of what to expect.

We then edit it and put it online via our Video Podcast. You can see our podcast in the Apple podcast directory - look for UK Theatre Network - or visit the link below for the details.

The production can be as elaborate and intricate as the budget determines. Doing it over 4 nights with 3 cameras doing different angles every night with high quality sound is the ultimate but for fringe or regional productions this can be reduced. We've done some over in the UK which took us 2 nights with 2 cameras.

The cost model is simple. Gold members pay £5 per month using Paypal and production companies get a percentage of each member who signs up. This percentage is much higher if the audiences are in the thousands. This will provide good supplemental income to any production and as it increases, the performers and writers will continue to get paid, like royalties, as the member will continue to be a member to watch all the other great content that comes along.

I am visiting my family in New Jersey over the summer, so I would be happy to work with any production who would like to pioneer this with me.

US Theater TV

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

Colle
#230Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 11:55am

I am in favor of having more production videos. It would be great for theater lovers who can't travel and/or buying a video/DVD would be more affordable. As for the timing, I think it should be whenever the people in charge think it would be most profitable, wherever after the show closes or earlier. Of course seeing a show live is the best, but having a good production video can be one of the closest things to reliving the experience.
Updated On: 5/28/06 at 11:55 AM

#231Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 12:25pm

Most good shows in recent years have been videotaped by the Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts and are available for viewing by those with demonstrated needs.

ZONEACE
#232Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:07pm

wow, this thread just makes me sad. Our schools must really suck if the best people can com up with for debates is resorting to calling people names and other immature bull**** like that.

Oh and I think this is an amazing idea.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

broadway_freak2
#233Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:30pm

USTheater... After reading all the posts and your argument about this, I am still on fence about this. As an actor with friends who are outside the theatre circle this can go many different ways.
1) I like the idea of shows being videotaped but the video's being released AFTER the run of the show has ended.
My Reasons:
- The mentality of many people is, once they have seen a show (in any version, whether being a musical movie, or video taped version of the show) they will have no want to see the show live, thus hurting the theatre community (if the show is still running.)
- It is a great way for future generation to see a performance they might have never otherwise seen. (I know I love the 4 Sondheim musicals and Pippin.)

I am still a sworn supporter of Live Theater. I don't watch a movie if I have a possibility of seeing it live. And I think it is wrong to release a videotaped version while the show is still running.

The only thing I say to you is be careful with what you are doing. Think about every detail carefully. Yes, it's great for everyone to have a means to get to see a show they wouldn't have otherwise, but it might as well backfire on you. Your primary arguement might be your downfall. you want to make theatre more known to the public, but think about this... if a random teenager is roaming the net for a video and they see 'Musical' what are the chances they will pay for it, with todays mentality. Regular teenagers (Myself being one) have been raised with the mentality that musicals are cheesy and stupid (excluding myself, I absolutely love musicals.)They will probably overlook it if they are not in the know.

Well, thats my 2 cents, or more like 25 cents

greencup Profile Photo
greencup
#234Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:39pm

I can't believe all of you people who seriously think that taping musicals would in any way shape or form degrade or hinder the experience of going to a live show. I haven't read all of the posts, but it only took about the first 4 pages to realize the selfish ignorance of some people on here. That sounds a little harsh, I know, but honestly....When I was 10 years old, I saw the video of Joseph, and I fell in love with theatre. Since then, I saw every live production of it I could....because of the video! I did not even come close to thinking, "Well, I've already seen the video, why would I see it live." It is a completely different experience all together and anyone who would think that wouldn't go see it live anyways. Videotaping a show would only reach more new fans, and give old theatre fans a chance to relive memories from their favorite shows over and over again. That's just my opinion, I suppose, so do what you will with it. Have a great day!

USTheater.TV
#235Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 1:56pm

Thanks for your continued, and constructive comments.

From an actors perspective, I am also an actor and I've got all the analysis done by Equity and believe me, actors will win big time.

From a free download perspective, what I am offering is a formal way to solve the problem before it gets any worse. The music industry are starting to cope with it by getting on top of it. Theatre can start early.

From an audience perspective, this is reaching out to millions of people, not just in New York, Edinburgh or Stratford-Upon-Avon, but Africa, Australia, Asia. In marketing terms its a significant jump up the evolutionary ladder for theatre and it will in turn generate more audiences, not less. It will make it accessible and immensely wealthier.

Who says that the major film and TV empires should rule the internet as well as the offline world ? Why should theatre not own its share and use it for promotion, marketing and selling its fantastic product and the talented people who produce them.
US Theater TV

Updated On: 5/28/06 at 01:56 PM

#236Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 2:23pm

The theatre doesn't need a bigger audience when even many bad musicals can run for years.

jennite
#237Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 3:15pm

I couldn't believe this thread when I saw it - I had exactly the same idea! eSeats, virtual theatre. Not just for musicals, but also straight theatre. My problem is that I'm in Australia so going to NYC or London just to see a play isn't an option.

I mean as a Jennifer Ehle fan I was dying to see her latest play The Philadelphia Story in London and now Macbeth in Shakespeare in the Park. Without publicly available recordings, they're basically lost forever to me and her legions of international fans.

So keep fighting the good fight!
Visit the Jennifer Ehle fan blog

Visit the Jennifer Ehle fan blog, currently obsessively tracking The Coast of Utopia news: press, blog and forum reviews, interviews with cast and crew, photos, Tonys buzz, etc.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#238Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 6:57pm

I think that the show should be filmed and released on dvds and ipods and what not, only when the show has closed or has been open for 15+ years. Everyone brings up very good points but does Hollywood release the DVD of a movie and put the movies in the theatre at the same time? No. I don't think it should be any different for live theare.

USTheater.TV
#239Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 8:54am

Hello again

Just including the link to the first theatre podcasts that we've filmed over the last year. I have also signed up Rob Roy, a Canadian written musical which features top Broadway stars and is premiering at the Edinburgh Fringe with a MAJOR budget before returning to Ontario and plans for Broadway in 2007. My team and I will be filming them before, during and after the performance and add this to the directory.

There are other plays being filmed in London, Manchester, and Edinburgh, if you are interested to find out more, send a blank email to subscribe at uktheatre.net and you will get a free weekly newsletter.

Thanks again for all your feedback and comments.

The future has arrived.
Itunes Podcast Directory - UK Theatre Network

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#240Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 9:46am

The future has arrived.

Everytime you say this you sound more and more foolish.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

USTheater.TV
#241Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:01am

It's a comment made to wake up a number of people, including yourself perhaps. Whether anyone on this posting likes the idea or not, it IS and WILL happen. Technology does that, not me. Technology enables new ideas and ways of entertaining. Have a look around you. Where do you think BWW TV are going ? What do you think Cameron Mackintosh is thinking about today ? What do you think major producers in Broadway are considering at the moment ? I am merely a messenger and a player in this game, but I see myself as only the pioneer, BIG business will consume this concept in the coming years.

The market growth for Internet TV and Podcasting is expected to be from £250m to £3bn in 3 years. Can you imagine Broadway producers just ignoring that ? In 3 years, look back at this post and you will see what I mean, that's why I'm saying "the future is now", because it is NOW that the change is happening.

Thanks for your comments.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#242Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:06am

I'm simply stating a truth.

Broadcasting major productions, in their entirety, online CAN and WILL ruin the magic of theatre.

This "movement" is only leading to the destruction of what theatre stands for.

BWW TV simply shows clips from productions to drum up interest and help tickets sales. They do NOT show whole productions.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 6/25/06 at 10:06 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#243Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:08am

USTheater.TV --- Best of luck.

And as I've said before here, I agree with you about where the industry is heading.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

USTheater.TV
#244Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:20am

Thanks Best12bars, we've discussed this before, and many thanks for your support. Clearly some people have some other visions in their mind of a future that destroys musicals, stops people from going to the theatre or ruins the magic of musicals. My vision is far from bleak for theatre, musicals, fringe play, amateur theatre, education and community plays. All of them are benefitting with the increased audiences they get when they interact using the Internet. Some are now showing previews of rehearsals and scenes from their performances and putting them on UKTheatre.TV, YouTube, MySpace and Google Video. In the UK, this whole concept has been EMBRACED by performers, writers, playwrights, producers, directors.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#245Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:31am

Musicals ARE videotaped.

They are placed in the Lincoln Center Libraries where people can access them ONLY when they have a legitimate reason.

Making an entire production available to everyone on video should ONLY be allowed when the production has closed.

Not while it's open.

I'm sorry UKTheatre...you don't speak for everyone.

TheEnchantedHunter
#246Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:42am

Sure, there made be broadcasts or DVD of shows but theater will ALWAYS remain a communal experience of people in one space taking part in a ritual, whether in a formalized environment like Broadway or huddled around a campfire. In fact, the need and hunger for such an experience will only exponentially increase in the years to come as society becomes more isolated, fragmentized, depersonalized and bored to tears with their technological gadgets. What's 'happening already' is that people are growing disenchanted with what's coming out of Hollywood, disgusted with the wasteland that is television, disconnected with a life spent in front of a computer and turning to live theater and its human touch to enrich their lives. Theater, with its roots in myth and religion, is essentially a moral good, the need for which arises from our DNA as naturally as breathing, and which will always be a fundamental expression of our humanity and society. Given the volatile times we live in, it doesn't require a lot to imagine a doomsday scenario where, due to some catastophe, all technological communication would be severed. No phones, no internet, no nothing. Yet you can be sure, that within hours, no, probably minutes, humans would reach out to each other and begin to tell stories, reenact dramas, crystallize metaphors around their experience, all without an optic fiber in sight.
Two planks and a passion--'tis so and 'twill ever be.

The Oracle at Delphi

Updated On: 6/25/06 at 10:42 AM

USTheater.TV
#247Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:54am

"I don't speak for everyone"

"I'm simply stating the truth"

Please be aware that you are using perceptions in your own mind to try to get your point across. Truth, is YOUR truth and I didn't say, nor want to speak for everyone.

AND I have never said HOW or WHEN the filming should be done, only that it SHOULD be. I've let this thread create its own debates but I've never been too worried about the before, during or after, only that MORE needs to be done, and IT IS. The specific details can be worked out when AOL talk to Lord Webber about a deal, not here on this bulletin board. It may well end up being like Hollywood which releases film in cinemas, then on DVD. BUT.....and this is a BIG BUT.......the paradigm of broadcasting is changing NOW. Itunes publishing episodes of LOST, Cinemanow downloading films online and more like this. A few weeks ago Gnarls Barkley became the first UK music artist in the WORLD, to have a single go to number 1, BEFORE it sold a copy in the shops.

The standard way of entertaining people is changing dramatically, theatre needs to keep an open mind to how it develops within this new world order.

#248Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:56am

Douglas, I think your postings should be on the off-topic board. It's about your business and not the theatre.

USTheater.TV
#249Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:00am

Haha....it is entirely about theatre.

Videos