pixeltracker

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED- Page 11

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

TheEnchantedHunter
#250Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:14am

"theatre needs to keep an open mind to how it develops within this new world order."

What egotistical blather! You're exactly like the eco-terrorists who, in their hubris, think the planet, which has gotten along without them for billions of years and will continue to spin for another billion, needs their puny input in order to survive. There's no point in continuing this discussion since it's quite apparent that you have no understanding or appreciation of theater whatsoever.

The Oracle at Delphi

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#251Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:52am

I think shows should be taped because if someone loved a show they saw on Broadway or Tour or London ect. they would want to see it again without paying $100. You pay $20 for an everlasting DVD! More shows should be on PBS and Piazza should come on to DVD!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#252Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:04pm

Sure.

Then everyone will invite their friends over to see it which means that's less people who will see the show live...causing it to lose money.

Oh yea...REAL smart.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

HeartandMusic
#253Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:18pm

I think that shows should definitely be taped. I have been obsessed w/ musicals since I was two years old, and for as long as I can remember my enjoyment of theater has been thwarted by my location. I LIVE IN MICHIGAN. I do not have the resources to go to NYC every time there is a show that I am dying to see. I own a copy of Into the Woods, and I love it. And if I had had the chance to see that perfomance live I would have. Videotaping live performances will not ruin the magic, nothing can ever take away the magic of a live performance. But recording these performances will give people like me a chance to see these marvelous shows. Sometimes a cast album just isn't enough, you know? And as long as everyone involved with the show is properly compensated, then I don't see any harm. Taping shows will not kill the joy of sitting in a theater and viewing a live performance, and it certainly will not destroy the theater.

Mattbrain
#254Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:23pm

I do think that there should be some kind of National Theatre Archive that records performances of theatres on and off broadway. It's bad enough that Lincoln Center never releases its performances on DVD. Hell, I think there was a point where I realised, "They never did release Contact on video." Another problem is that some people can't afford to go to the theatre. News flash: not everyone lives in New York. Now I know that there is nothing like a live theatre experience. But what happens when a show you wanna see closes. That's what happened with me and Brooklyn. Yes, I like that show. I had to borrow a bootleg DVD from a friend of mine. Because of circumstances beyond anyone's control, I can no longer borrow that DVD. I'm just lucky I found a copy on Google. And most shows are lucky enough to get the libretto released. I'm sorry, but the more videotaped musicals the better. It's a great introduction to the theatre as well.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#255Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:30pm

But what happens when a show you wanna see closes.

Then they should release a video or DVD of the show. But NOT while the show is running.

I'm sorry not everyone lives in New York. I love going to Disney World but I can't afford going to Florida whenever I want. So should Disney come and build a park where I live?

I'd probably love that...but they're not going to. So, I deal with it.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

SporkGoddess
#256Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:33pm

I don't think it will ever happen, but as someone who lives in the Midwest and has never even been to NYC (trust me, I'd kill to go,) I would really like it. For instance, I saw the PBS broadcast of The Light in the Piazza, but when the tour comes around here I'm still going to see it. I think for true theatre lovers, the argument is untrue, because we enjoy the experience more than anything. And most people who aren't true theatre lovers wouldn't to watch such a video in the first place.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#257Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:35pm

I think for true theatre lovers, the argument is untrue, because we enjoy the experience more than anything.

Yes, but it would give the tourists an excuse not to make the trip. The one's who aren't necessarily "true theatre lovers" who want to see the new hot show will most likely be satisfied with a video of it.

Which means less business for said show.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#258Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later

"I'm sorry not everyone lives in New York. I love going to Disney World but I can't afford going to Florida whenever I want. So should Disney come and build a park where I live?"

WEAK analogy.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#259Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later

Says you.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#260Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:40pm

No...it is. Theme parks are there, and they stay there. And even though they have temporary attractions that may pop up once in a while, the chance of anyone being obsessed enough to want to go there for all the silly temporary attractions is slim to none.

Theatre comes and goes quickly, and there are many people who want to see it but can't get their hands on it. Ifluential shows disappear eventually, innovative productions, brilliant performances....you can't compare that to a freakin' theme park.

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#261Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:41pm

Some good constructive comments, and then more attempts at personal insults in order to win arguments. How shallow.

Please ignore me when debating this. As I keep saying, this is happening as we speak, constructive reasons of whether you would or would not watch or buy the product is important here.

Of course, if you are merely against this from the perception that "musicals will lose income", then consider a worldwide audience of theatre lovers who would click and buy for a few dollars to compliment those who have walked through the doors in New York.

I have been developing this idea for 5 years and I think its getting close to it happening. In the short term, I think it is a great promotional tool to take theatre to wider audiences (interviews, previews, promos etc), in the medium term people will see the benefit of both and want to buy post-production and archive material online, and in the longer term, it will be commonplace to watch it directly online. Just how long it takes will be determined by marketing, business planning and demand.

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#262Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:42pm

That's your opinion. Don't state it as fact because you look ridiculous.

If people can't come to see the show...then they wait for it to close. That's when a video can be released so they can view it.

Or, if a video is released while the show is running, it should be released on some sort of "OnDemand" program where you must pay a fee each time it is viewed so the cast, creative team, and producers get compensated.

SporkGoddess
#263Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:45pm

Tourists go to see shows in NYC for the experience, not for the show itself, usually. Most people I know will see the occasional show but would sooner gouge their eyes out before watching my DVD of Passion or Sweeney Todd.

USTheater.TV
#264Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:47pm

Foanatic....Some good comments there. So you are FOR the idea but the specifics you would like to fine-tune.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#265Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:48pm

Like it or not, tourist provide the majority of income for Broadway shows as you can see what happens to show grosses during "off-season."

Avid NY theatregoers are not enough anymore, unfortunately.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#266Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:50pm

I'm not necessarily "for" the idea.

But if it happens, that's how I think it should be run.

USTheater.TV
#267Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:53pm

Hehe...gotcha !! In amongst your insults, there is a small part of you which agrees with the facts that it IS happening, you'd just prefer to shape the buying to avoid a loss of audience, a loss of creativity, a loss of the art and a loss of the experience. Me too and so would EVERYONE planning such an event to ensure it continues to excite audiences who go to the event, while at the same time, creating a whole new audience.

Bigger revenues, more shows, more work for actors, more happy audiences.

SporkGoddess
#268Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:54pm

But I'm saying that it wouldn't affect tourists because tourists aren't likely to watch the videos of it in the first place. They're not necessarily musical fans; they like the experience more than the show.

So what...I sing
#269Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:36pm

OK, so I have gone through all 11 of these pages and now I'm going to give you my take.

I think anything that helps struggling actors by raising thier wages is a good thing. I also think that anything that is used as promotional advertisment (video previews on BWW.com) is a brilliant idea. Coming from personal experience I had never heard of a show like Jersey Boys and had no idea what it was about, but after buying the cast recording and watching the video preview I was compelled to buy tickets and see it for myself. I could not have been more happy with that decision. The point is, when you are trying to expand your audience base you have to reach them where they are used to being reached. Most Americans today sit in front of thier TV and Computer for hours a day and if you want to hit them hard you have to hit them where they ARE not where you hope they'll be.

I can remember a time where I was in Toronto and I was no where near a "theatre-nut" at this point in my life, and I saw an AD for MAMMA MIA. I had no clue what the show was, and I was not the least bit interested in going to see it. But when LION KING came to my attention I was all over it...WHY? because I knew the story, and I'd seen the video before hand. Hence, Videos of Broadway, Off-Broadway, West End, and Regional productions would be a fantastic addition to the arsenal of producers in bringing in the wide array of audience members that they SO want to reach.

Doug, I think your concept is BRILLIANT and I wish you God's Speed and Tremendous Luck!

Hope my babbling makes some sense to you :)

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#270Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:41pm

But when LION KING came to my attention I was all over it...WHY? because I knew the story, and I'd seen the video before hand.

Yes, you'd seen the animated Disney movie which wasn't taking any profit away from the actors/creative team. You did NOT see a video of the Broadway production.

Had you seen a video of MAMMA MIA, you could have only seen one of the Broadway/West End production and you probably would have had no need to go see the show live since you'd seen a video of practically the same thing.

So what...I sing
#271Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:46pm

However, I know plenty of times where video has spurred interest in a show. For example, Into The Woods, Passion, RENT, and various bootlegs that you see floating all over you tube and goole video.

I have 13 year old high school students telling me they want to see Avenue Q because of the You Tube Videos, or they want to see Wicked because they saw the Google Video rip off of the show.

NOW, I am in no way encouraging bootlegging, nor am I in any way promoting the use of them to excite kids about theatre.

What I am saying is that a video of a live production is PROVEN...in my experience...to have excited teens about the live theatre.

BTW, those kids actually bought tickets and went to see Wicked live. (they're hooked)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#272Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:48pm

People haven't exactly stopped going to movies since the Home Entertainment industry was born. In my lifetime with cable, VHS, DVD and now HD formats available. Before that, everyone was even more worried when television first came along. They thought THAT would kill the movie business. It didn't. Adjustments had to be made in how films were presented, and granted you will NEVER see the attendance records set by Gone With the Wind again. Not ever. The world changed after WWII, and television entered the living rooms. But you'll never see 35-cent ticket prices again either.

People go to movies now because they like the experience, just as you say above (about theatre).

Why would anyone think people would stop going to live theatre if they could see a video of it in their homes? Not only do the get the "experience" and social benefits of going to a theatre, they get the LIVE actors, not a recording of them. Plus you get the advantage of exposing the idea of live theatre to a much wider audience with video. Educating them about "what's out there." So many don't even know.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#273Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:48pm

Yes, but they saw clips of the show.

I am, in no way, discouraging the release of video clips as a means of drumming up interest.

I am, however, discouraging the release of shows on video in their entirety. At least while the show is still running.

USTheater.TV
#274Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:23pm

Thanks "So What..I Sing".....what a great name...nothing else matters when you sing, I'm with you on that ! And thanks for seeing the wood through the trees. It has been people like you who have helped me build up the concept and keep going. It's a HUGE concept and it will have major repercussions and much competition.

The negative views expressed here (if you ignore the shallow insults from Delphi and occassionally Foatani), are always interesting to dig deeper as I really have to wonder what their fear is ? An idea they haven't thought of ? The UK Theatre Network taking over the world of theatre ? Bootlegging ? Diminishing returns for their production ? Do they think that Hollywood will take over Broadway ?

In the meantime, if you have ITunes you can download the most recent filming to get a flavour of where USTheater.TV and UKTheatre.TV are heading.

1. Red carpet Bafta awards where the stars talk about theatre
2. The Launch party of the new National Theatre of Scotland with interviews with the Artistic Director and other actors
3. A preview of Hamlet in Manchester with discussions with some of the cast and scenes in rehearsal.

Currently being edited:-
1. Interviews with the cast of Guys and Dolls
2. A guide to Shakespeare's Complete Works for visitors
3. A preview programme on the Royal National Theatre
4. Abbey Fest - what's on at this South London festival
5. 24:7 - what's on at this Manchester festival
6. Edinburgh Fringe - what's on and previews.
- includes Love Labours Won, Rob Roy The Musical, Everyone Should Have a Gun - 20 other performances being scheduled.

I'm also happy to collaborate and work with performers in the US and I'm having discussions with interested parties who can work with this model in New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington DC and LA (to start of with).
UK Theatre Network takes over the world - LIVE on IPOD

Videos