ANASTASIA Previews

evic
#275ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:37pm

Galanya....or Anyinda.

Tiann Nerng Chong
#276ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:55pm

Oh and journey to the PAST indeed, since Galinda wears that blazer and skirt in ACT ONE.

ok, I'll stop now.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#277ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:16am

"The only audience who are really flocking to see it are 90s kids and fans of the 1997 movie."

I disagree. Those 90s kids are in their twenties now, and are probably not making up the population purchasing those full price tickets. Some may be, but I think this show is appealing across the board. It may not be Disney, but it sure as hell is the closest thing you can get to it and I think parents of younger children will attend it just as much as those millennials (the target audience, for sure) who grew up with the movie. My performance was FILLED with (very well-behaved, might I add) younger children and their families. It's a family show, no doubt about it. 

Their $1+ mill gross while still in previews says it all to me. 

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#278ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:21am

GreasedLightning said: "Their $1+ mill gross while still in previews says it all to me. "

Yeah I was thrilled to see that! I've been avidly following their grosses, and they're doing fantastically straight out of the starting gate. Very happy to see that.

I should note that even with my big disappointment in the book, I still plan to see the show again. I mean, it's Anastasia!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#279ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 8:36pm

Well today has been interesting. I saw the show and overalls did love it, but not only was I sick all day with a simple cold, but I ended up throwing up outside of the bus home and almost passing out. So I will post my review tomorrow or Friday.

disneybroadwayfan22
#280ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 11:11am

Now I'm resting in bed, I can talk about it.

Overall, I really did love it. The cast has fully become one with their characters, especially Christy. She is definitely not playing Anastasia from the movie. This would be a gigantic problem, damn Christy is GORGEOUS with her Anya. Christy has unlock another side of the movie Anya. This is a Anya who has gone through a lot and seen serious stuff. She's very traumatized with her past and her PTSD shows at some places, but she is very very optimistic of the future. Christy portrays this perfectly and it is so moving-she literally had tears streaming down her face during In My Dreams. I really do wish she put more sarcasm and wit in her Anya, but for what she did, it is still great and meaningful. I'm really pulling for her Tony nomination. John and Caroline are absolutely fantastic in their parts (John was also crying during Meant To Be) and have wonderful energy. Their chemistry is fantastic and their number together is amazing. Mary Beth is more angry and her scene with Derek is heartbreaking and powerful. But, I think if it's Caroline vs. Mary Beth for the Tony nomination, it would be Caroline. Gleb is still undeveloped, but Ramin brings out the wickedness and sexual tension the character requires. Derek did a great job with Dimitri too.

That being said, I'm mixed about Anya/Dimitri's relationship. It's better and worse than the movie 60/40. When I saw the movie two nights ago, I did notice that Anya and Dimitri were bickering so much that them falling in love was really undeserving and I was sidetracked when he randomly started complementing her while they were dancing on the boat b/c a second ago, they were being sarcastic to each other. Here, they have the sarcasm and bickering at the beginning, but their friendship is very solid and strong at the same time, so their love for each other is way more deserving and believable. While Terrence fixed their relationship for the musical and I have to praise him for that, he took out the bickering, which make Anya and Dimitri so much fun in the movie. I wish he found that perfect balance in the relationship. But, the relationship is still great, but at the same time, it's too different.

They really did an outstanding job with updating the projections. They're gorgeous! And what they did with the ghosts. WOW! Bravo! The costumes are brilliant and there is actually a fun reference to Anya's peasant outfit from the movie during Rumor in SP. 

As for the changes, the "Journey to the Past" part in the finale has been taken out, so they definitely listened to you guys. The music box direction is also back (Weird they added the suitors), but Christy and Derek walk downstage and singing instead of posing. Paris HTKTYH is now the movie scene and they added a LOT of solos for Vlad in it, which was excellent. Crossing the Bridge is almost completely rewritten and Anya tries to remember her grandmama/nana in it. They added a little bit of choreography in Rumor ISP which is appreciated.

The audience was the most exciting audience ever. Huge cheering when lights came down, Christy/Derek/John came out for Paris, and after the Finale. They really got into the Dimitri/Dowager Empress scene with huge gasps and Ohhhhhhhhh! Like:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Dimitri: God will judge you poorly, old woman.

Audience: Ohhhhhhhhhh!

Dimitri: Russia has made sure of that!

Audience: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And actually during the almost kiss during Crowd of Thousands, a little girl screamed out YES! and the whole audience broke out into laughter.

Overall, I had a excellent time with the show. Truly a dream come true. Could it be a little better? Yes. But, I am very satisfied. Thank you, ANASTASIA. Definitely planning on returning for its closing show whenever that will be and maybe even Christy's last show, depending on money and time.

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 11:11 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#281ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 12:19pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "...what they did with the ghosts. WOW! Bravo!"

I'm seeing this next Sunday and am all-but completely ignorant of the movie. Would you please elaborate on the above, perhaps in a SPOILER box so no one gets angry?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#282ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/21/17 at 1:09am

Lot666 - 

In the animated movie, Anya arrives at the palace looking for Vlad and Dimitri and ends up in the ball room where she sings Once Upon A December and is surrounded by the ghosts of the Romanovs and their guests from the last ball dancing. During this sequence, Anya dances with the ghosts and gets literally swept up in the memories. It's a beautiful and haunting image, which the musical does a great job of bringing to life on stage. 

In the musical, the ensemble surrounds Anya during Once Upon A December and they dance but there is also projections of the dancing ghosts that spread across the set and along the sides of the stage. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/21/17 at 01:09 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#283ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/21/17 at 7:55am

ClumsyDude15 said: "

Lot666 - 

In the animated movie, Anya arrives at the palace looking for Vlad and Dimitri and ends up in the ball room where she sings Once Upon A December and is surrounded by the ghosts of the Romanovs and their guests from the last ball dancing. During this sequence, Anya dances with the ghosts and gets literally swept up in the memories. It's a beautiful and haunting image, which the musical does a great job of bringing to life on stage. 

In the musical, the ensemble surrounds Anya during Once Upon A December and they dance but there is also projections of the dancing ghosts that spread across the set and along the sides of the stage. 

"

Thank you so much for this, it sounds very cool - a bit like the banquet hall scene in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ak72090
#284ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/23/17 at 10:58pm

Just saw the show tonight. I think many people will really enjoy this, but I couldn't get over how awful the set was. The projections killed it for me. They look straight out of Windows 95. The least they could have done is use real photos/video, but it just looked way too cheap. And they really saved money with this set. That being said, the music and the cast were solid.

Greenfinch4
#285ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 12:29am

disneybroadwayfan22 They've changed "Crossing A Bridge"? It's really a complete rewrite from Hartford this late into previews? 

That's the one moment that was always solid for me and the one new song along with "In My Dreams" that didn't need any reworking. It said a lot without being overstated. It sounds like they're getting overtly expositional. We know what/who she's thinking of without having to literally spell it out. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#286ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:58am

Did you like the show overall, ak?

greenlight-From what I can remember, the beginning is the same and then the whole thing is different until the last two verses. They took out the amazing Hold tight belt, but they have a pretty vibrato part. And yes, the lyrics make it clear is about the grandma, but i honestly thought it better. The ending now is "Every light is like a promise, every light could be a clue. One of them might be you." And there's a spotlight next to Christy and she's singing to the light and it's very touching.

showbizkid2
#287ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:52am

Well this show has the worst cheapest looking set I've EVER seen on Broadway!!! And what a mess they have made to the book. Ramin is normally great but his role in this was useless. Are you meant to hate the grandmother? Caroline O'Conner is NOT in Mack and Mabel. Bad casting there. Great cast otherwise but a total mess of a show with horrible projections. Will be closed by the end of the summer. SOOO dissapointed as it is one of my favourite movie animations. BOO HOO 

ClumsyDude15
#288ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:00am

ANASTASIA Previews

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Tiann Nerng Chong
#289ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:04am

LOL @ clumsydude15

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-ANASTASIA-Journeys-to-Broadway--Watch-Highlights-20170424

Geezus, Anya really does look like Glinda from "Dear Old Shiz" in that white blazer and skirt. 

curel1
#290ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:04am

Show clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE_c-xm7FrI

Ooo, I really like the train projection and of course Christy sounds amazing

disneybroadwayfan22
#291ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:14am

Ha, I loved the GIF, Clumsy (I do respect showbiz's opinions of course)

showbiz-A quick note: The Dowager Empress wasn't exactly the nicest in the movie, and she is especially cruel here b/c the Dowager Empress was a gigantic bitch in real life (Same with the Tsarina at times, especially at the end of her life), so it makes sense for her to be written like so.

And ahhhhh, I adored the clips!

ClumsyDude15
#292ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 11:24am

^I respect showbiz's opinion, that was just my reaction to it. But, I'm glad others are enjoying it. :)

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#293ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 12:17pm

So I just saw the show clip, and I have to ask, for those who have seen the show more recently, are Anya and Dimitri wearing PAJAMAS during "In a Crowd of Thousands"? I know that was only shown in the clips for a brief moment, and without the song, but that is the only part of the show I can really see Dimitri bowing during. I saw the show in Hartford and they were definitely NOT in PJs then. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#294ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 12:21pm

MaddieBB12 said: "So I just saw the show clip, and I have to ask, for those who have seen the show more recently, are Anya and Dimitri wearing PAJAMAS during "In a Crowd of Thousands"? I know that was only shown in the clips for a brief moment, and without the song, but that is the only part of the show I can really see Dimitri bowing during. I saw the show in Hartford and they were definitely NOT in PJs then. 

"

Christy is now in a new nightgown and Derek is in a tank and pants

lambchop2
#296ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 1:51pm

" I saw the show in Hartford and they were definitely NOT in PJs then."

When did you see the show in Hartford? In the Hartford video that got shared around they were in pajamas.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#297ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 1:54pm

May 29th, so about halfway through the run, and I could have sworn they were in street clothes, but I could be wrong. it just looked strange in the new clip.

suzieprush
#298ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 3:20pm

Just wanted to say I saw the show Friday (4/21) and it was charming. Solid show. All the leads were amazing and the ensemble was strong.  It wasn't anything special, like not going on my list of favorites. But still a good and enjoyable show. I did like the changes they made from the movie, I think it turned it into a full solid plot necessary to make an animated movie into a full broadway musical. Also the cast was the sweetest at stage door, all of them are great.

disneybroadwayfan22
#299ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 4:45pm

I just found this on Tumblr. Any truth behind it?

Ultimately why the Anastasia the musical set looks… like that… is because it was designed to be very easy to tour if they couldn’t get Broadway backers or if it flopped on Broadway. Stage Entertainment, a European based theatre company which is a major producer, quietly announced a North American tour of Anastasia while it was at Hartford, but before it was confirmed they were going to Broadway. This has since disappeared from their website.

They picked Hartford Stage/Darko Tresjnak and his regular collaborators because A Gentleman’s Guide was successful, with both it’s Broadway production and tour recouping. They both have a set that concentrates on one piece (The stage within a stage in A Gentleman’s Guide and the revolving panels in Anastasia) and uses heavy productions. These sets are relatively easy to tour and store.

Videos