pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 139

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3450Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 1:59pm

we are just speculating, like we have done since screenings.

Fair enough. I think that I just wanted to say, before we worry that the reviews may be mixed, let's wait until we actually see them.

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#3451Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 2:09pm

Well... professional reviews are embargoed at the moment. I know they are adding additional screenings for critics in a number of places.

They had one scheduled for Toronto on the 17th, but have added one December 4th as well.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3452Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 3:39pm

If anyone hears of non-industry pre-Christmas screenings in San Diego or LA, please bump this thread.

chrisanegron Profile Photo
chrisanegron
#3453Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 4:38pm

Same, if anyone hears of any non-industry pre-Christmas screenings in the tri-state area, please let me know on this thread.

Showface
#3454Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 7:48pm

You can keep up with the screenings here:
http://disneystudiosawards.com/awards/into-the-woods

There seems to be some in San Fransisco and LA. . .

Showface
#3455Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 7:56pm

Someone who saw it further elaborated on the Children Will Listen Scene and the film here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/board/thread/237185286?p=6

On another thread (on that board) someone who saw the film said Rapunzel's haircut is responsible for two funny lines in the film!

And, it was restated (many times on that Board, and a few on this one) that Rapunzel's fate change is still good, and it makes the Witch a MORE TRAGIC character, and that she must live with all the wicked things she did to Rapunzel, and that that scene has excellent and heart-wrenching dialogue. That's actual testimony from those who saw the film.

QUESIONS FOR THOSE WHO SAW THE FILM RECENTLY:

-Did they use the Witch's Backstory at the beginning? What was it? How was it?

-What was your favorite scene/number/moment?

-Any extended instrumentals in songs? The "bang crash" part of the rap sounds longer in the BROLL...

-MVP (male and female) of cast?

Showface
#3456Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:02pm

NEW EXCLUSIVE VIDEO WITH ANNA KENDRICK (Some No One Is Alone footage):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xzB5GHb70M

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3457Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:24pm

Dang! It's not even December and I feel like I have seen the whole film with all these clips coming every day.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3458Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:44pm

You can keep up with the screenings here:
http://disneystudiosawards.com/awards/into-the-woods

There seems to be some in San Fransisco and LA. . .

Thanks, Showface, but I said non-industry screenings. I haven't slept with a guild member since the first Obama administration.

Updated On: 11/25/14 at 08:44 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#3459Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:46pm

Dang! It's not even December and I feel like I have seen the whole film with all these clips coming every day.

Aren't we being a TAD overdramatic?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3460Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:53pm

Attending a non-industry screening on December 15th in Dallas and I cannot wait! I'll be up all that night so I can find the closest 24 hour store that sells music so I can buy the soundtrack since it (technically) comes out at midnight! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Showface
#3461Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:54pm

Well, they have to market this film and get people excited. That means releasing clips. You still have about 2 hours of footage you haven't seen yet. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Also, I agree that the BW is a leading (female) role, while the Witch is a/the starring role at least until the second act where it really becomes an ensemble piece.

pli1018
#3462Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:55pm

Having seen the August screening and the final version on Sunday, there doesn't seem to be any differences. Streep, Blunt and Corden remain the highlights, The Wolf/I Know Things Now sequences don't work, the design stuns and the rest of the film is incredibly faithful to the original stage production. And Rapunzel's fate is just as effective.

ShakinBaconGirl
#3463Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 8:58pm

"Aren't we being a TAD overdramatic?"

Probably. I just seem to have a problem with all this PR stuff shooting out the wazzoo. I feel like I have seen too much. I really wanted to get the full effect of "stay with me" but they basically showed half of it in the trailer. It's just not the same and wont be the same. You only get that chilling feeling once.

Showface
#3464Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:02pm

^Well, it should be different (better) with a mega screen and loud speakers, and when we see the song in it's entirety. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

You may (probably will) get that feeling with Last Midnight which we have not seen.

-Did they use the Witch's Backstory to open the film like Playbill reported, or is that false info?

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3465Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:04pm

beautywickedlover already posted this B-roll package. Two observations: 1 - I'm impressed at how great the production looks on dinky low quality b-roll footage. It must look amazing in the final production; 2 - the orchestra performance from about 3:33 on is such a joy to watch. They play some underscoring for Granny's house and what sounds like parts of the Prologue - the Witche's rap perhaps? Hearing it without the vocals it almost sounds like an avant-garde piece you'd hear the LA Phil play.

Updated On: 11/25/14 at 09:04 PM

pli1018
#3466Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:08pm

The Witch's backstory flashes are depicted in the Rap. The film opens with the sky and then the Baker's narration begins and we show up in the village.

INTOTHEWOODSLIFE
#3467Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:13pm

Hey Show Face! I recently saw a screening of the film a couple days ago, and I have to say it was one of the best musical adaptations I have ever seen. I am a HUGE Into the Woods fan, and was very skeptical about the movie, but it was everything I had hoped for plus more!!! To answer your questions.......

Did they use the Witch's Backstory at the beginning? What was it? How was it?

Yes they did. It was very interesting and was more for the people who don't really understand fast paced Sondheim lyrics. It didn't stick out as an amazing moment, but it wasn't a tragic one either. It basically showed the father climbing over the wall and stealing the beans, and then shows the witches transformation without spoiling too much of her beautiful post transform costume.

-What was your favorite scene/number/moment?

This was one of those movies where every time a new scene or song happened, it became my favorite one. Their was no and I mean NO weak moments or performances or performers. Some moments and actors where better than others, but they were all fantastic. The movie was surprisingly very true to the show, which made me very happy. I have to say one of my favorite songs which they FLAWLESSLY transported to screen was Last Midnight. It gave me chills. Also they did "cut" the mysterious man, but replaced him with his father. The scene that was replaced with "No More" (which was turned into instrumental) was BEAUTIFUL and their was not a dry eye in the theater. That was a good scene too. It was very funny at moments and very touching at others. It was just a great movie.

-Any extended instrumentals in songs? The "bang crash" part of the rap sounds longer in the BROLL...
Umm I dont think so? Can you specify a bit more?

-MVP (male and female) of cast?
Like I said no actor was terrible or miscast. Although some were better than others, no one was bad. But I would have to say (not in order)......
James Cordon
Emily Blunt
Chris Pine
Lilla Crawford
Meryl Streep
Christine Baranski

I see a HUGE future for this movie, with lots of awards!! If anyone has anymore questions, I saw a very recent screening (about 2 days ago to be exact) but please be specific. Thank you hope this helps

INTOTHEWOODSLIFE
#3468Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:37pm

Also, I have been seeing that people do not like "Hello Little Girl" and "I Know Things Now." For people that have seen it recently, what was so bad about it? I thought it was great, and different. Is it that it is a lot different than people expected, or do people just not like it. Does it have to do with Lilla Crawford and Johny Depp cause they were great. I am confused why people would say this, because I though it was great and entertaining, and the people in the audience seemed to like it too (I heard some laughs and ooos and ahhs.)

ShakinBaconGirl
#3469Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:52pm

"Also, I have been seeing that people do not like "Hello Little Girl" and "I Know Things Now."

That may have to do with everyone being sick of Depp's usual shtick crap. He looks the weakest in the film and he sounded horribly flat on the soundtrack. And "I know things now" is just an awful song to begin with.

Joviedamian
#3470Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:55pm

"Dang! It's not even December and I feel like I have seen the whole film with all these clips coming every day."

Well stop watching them over-and-over and you should be fine! :)

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3471Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 9:59pm

I know things now may not be the best song, but it is still an important moment in the show.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3472Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 10:00pm

Nice little review INTOTHEWOODSLIFE, I wish that Christmas Day would hurry on up and get me pumped.

After watching the Anna Kendrick interview with footage, I am LOVING how "On The Steps of the Palace" is staged with the Prince freezing when the fire beacons burst. It's really surreal and cool.... Why couldn't the writers of NINE do something like that? HUH?!?

INTOTHEWOODSLIFE
#3473Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 10:29pm

ShakinBaconGirl *GASP HOW DARE YOU TALK BADLY ABOUT A SOMDHEIM SONG LOL!!! Anyways you make a good point, but I have to disagree and say that Johnny Depp was not the weakest preformer. Even though no one was bad, he was better than others.

Updated On: 11/25/14 at 10:29 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3474Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/25/14 at 10:32pm

^who was the weakest?

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos