pixeltracker

The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)- Page 15

The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#350re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 5:53am

Ok, so can you consider yourself a FANADU after seeing the show only once?

I made my first trip from Ohio to New York this weekend and I saw the matinee on Saturday. (Whoopi was observing from the balcony in case anyone cares).

I sat onstage and it was A BLAST!! The cast is so energetic!! I met a fellow BWW member before the show and he dressed up as a muse and was sitting in a popcorn seat.

When Jackie did her ad-lib she ran over to him and said "What is this, a cry for help or something?" That got laughter but then she came right back with "Let me ask you something when you go to 'Little Mermaid' do you dress like a FISH?" and she completely stopped the show.

Annie Golden was on for Mary Testa and she was amazing as well.

So much fun, and it was a pleasure meeting some of the cast afterwards at the stagedoor.

re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 7/28/08 at 05:53 AM

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#351re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:17am

Sbflyfan - YES, you are officially a Fanadu re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

I'm so excited. I'm going with my favorite cousin to Wednesday's matinee for her birthday. She's a Whoopi fan (as am I) and I'm finally gonna get to see Andre as Melpomene - woo hoo!

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
Updated On: 7/28/08 at 09:17 AM

biggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
#352re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 1:29pm

So I really want to see this show when I go to NYC in August. I've been dying to see Xanadu for MONTHS. I searched online for on-stage seats (those are the ones I really want), and there were "none available". I've heard that you can go to the box office the night of the show around 6pm and on-stage seating will be available. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for thread jacking...

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#353re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 2:31pm

<< So I really want to see this show when I go to NYC in August. I've been dying to see Xanadu for MONTHS. I searched online for on-stage seats (those are the ones I really want), and there were "none available". I've heard that you can go to the box office the night of the show around 6pm and on-stage seating will be available. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for thread jacking... >>

On-stage very hard to come by right now with Whoopi starting---

(not to mention Curtis goin back to his "old " roles (he's so amazing !!)

I would not count on having them the day off in August-- gonna be very tough. I just bought one for August 15th, and they were just about gone already !!

Ed_Mottershead
#354re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 3:08pm

I have a good sense that EVERY performance is going to be energized this month -- not that it has ever been lacking. But I do think Whoopi has her work cut out for her in spelling for Jackie.

On a slightly different track, I'm beginning to warm to the idea of seeing Xanadu on New Year's Eve -- I think it would be the PERFECT show for that day of the year. I've always said I'd never do NYE in New York again, but Xanadu is tempting me.

BroadwayEd

kate2
#355re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 4:11pm

Jeff, I'm SO JEALOUS that you're going to see Andre as Melpomone!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#356re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/28/08 at 10:48pm

So I went to look up a word, and guess what their Word of The Day is...

Can't wait to see Whoopi in her first performance tomorrow night!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

#357re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/29/08 at 8:07am

Hey, new to the crew here - I am addicted to this show after seeing it only once. Going back 9/6/08 finally.
Anyway, responding to Jeffrey1dog about going with cousin to Wednesday matinee- Whoopi is not doing the matinee.(I assumed that you were talking about tomorrow) I hate being a first time poster with bad news but I thought you might want to know ahead of time for your plans and for your cousin's sake. Hope you don't mind me jumping in.
Here's info off of the Telecharge site:

Cast Members:
Kerry Butler, Cheyenne Jackson, Tony Roberts, Whoopi Goldberg (7/29 - 9/7*), Mary Testa, Jackie Hoffman**

*Ms. Goldberg will not be performing July 30, matinee

**Ms Hoffman will not be performing July 29 - September 7.
Upcoming week's performances
Tue.Jul.29 7:00PM
Wed.Jul.30 2:00PM
Wed.Jul.30 8:00PM
Thu.Jul.31 8:00PM
Fri.Aug.1 8:00PM
Sat.Aug.2 2:00PM
Sat.Aug.2 8:00PM
Sun.Aug.3 3:00PM

Gpvegas
#358re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:08am

There was a fire in an elevator at the Helen Hayes last night. They said that the theater has been ventilated and smoke damage was minimal. I heard it on the new this morning. I assume they will go on tonight.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#359re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/29/08 at 9:54am

Oh no, I was planning on going tomorrow. If Andre is definitely on as Melpomene (someone confirm this please?) I might go anyway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jeffrey1dog
#360re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/29/08 at 10:56pm

Pianoman1968 - I know re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!) ... I found out last night from somebody at Splash for [TOS] and it nearly ruined my night.
But I'm pretty certain Andre will go on as Melpomene cause who else is there? Mary & Jackie are def both out.

I hope she's not disappointed & enjoys the show anyway. I think she will. I have yet to bring anybody who didn't like it. And I've taken around 50 people so far. This was my Birtday Du - haha...

This was after the show & everybody was happy re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#361re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/29/08 at 11:03pm

Just posted my review of tonight's performance in the Whoopi thread, but suffice it to say, Andre + Melpomene = HILARITY!!!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

dancingthrulife04
#362re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/30/08 at 6:26am

But I'm pretty certain Andre will go on as Melpomene cause who else is there? Mary & Jackie are def both out.

Oh, true. Maybe I will have to go today.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jeffrey1dog
#363re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/30/08 at 7:40pm

Went to the matinee today & was so happy to see the SOLD OUT sign up re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

Andre as Melpomene... priceless. Curtis clowning, Marty holding his veil up while asking "What will you do to remain un-noticed?"... hyserical, and Kerry & Cheyenne in top form as always. The "nickel bag" line went over really well, and we had a ball. I can't wait till the 13th to see Whoopi Du her thang re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

PS: My cousin loved the show and wants to see it again. And it was great to see (and sit with) Toni again. Congrats on your sister making the olympics.

Huzzah sisters!!!

Updated On: 7/30/08 at 07:40 PM

dancingthrulife04
#364re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/30/08 at 7:44pm

Sounds great! I ended up not going, but apparently I wouldn't have been able to get in anyway.

jeffrey1dog
#365re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/30/08 at 7:59pm

Yeah - I think "you're probably riiight!"
I passed by the theater around 11:30 AM and there were at least a dozen teenagers waiting on line for student rush tix. I dk if they got in or not.
And FYI - the stage seats are pretty much SOLD OUT for the whole month of August. Amazing what a little star power will do.

Updated On: 7/30/08 at 07:59 PM

tonio
#366re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/30/08 at 10:30pm

Jeff it was nice to see you again too...and to sit with you and a Du-newbie-a bonus.
I too thought Andre was high-larious as Melpomene...I have to say I don't know if I agree with him not being costumed as her but it's a minor quibble. Awesome to have Curtis back too in his original track.

Totally Off-topic but I am too excited not to mention to you all- My baby sister made the US Olympic team in the three day equestrian discipline. You are all a supportive bunch so please join me in cheering her on-Gina Miles!

jeffrey1dog
#367re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/31/08 at 3:32am

Toni - I DID expect to see Andre in Melpomene drag, but on second thought it made it even funnier when he said "He my baby daddy." I also loved his quivering in anger when Kira did the ".... potentially senile sister" line.

Re the olympics... Word! I'll be cheering for Gina re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

Updated On: 7/31/08 at 03:32 AM

Ed_Mottershead
#368re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 7/31/08 at 8:41am

Jeffrey,

Your recent posts have made me SOOOO thankful that I acted early and am going on the 9th! My only fear is, what if I like it so much I want to see it again with Whoopi? It's not going to be so easy to get a ticket with her in it -- especially on weekends. Can't wait until the 9th!!!! HUZZAH!!!!!

BroadwayEd

jeffrey1dog
#369re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/1/08 at 12:16pm

So why isn't anybody posting about Whoopi? Is she still using the cue cards & being pushed around the stage? lol.

I loved the 5 minute video from THE VIEW (it's on Youtube) of her rehearsal & opening night. I had posted it on another thread & it got deleted so I guess we're not supposed to put the link here. Somebody else posted it & it's still there for now...
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=973732#3640977
... or you can do a search. It was added July 31st.

I bought the very last on-stage ticket for her final performance on Sept 7th. It should be a fun show. And don't expect any extensions 'cause Jackie's coming back & Whoopi's doing AC again the following week.

Huzzah sistas re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

Updated On: 8/1/08 at 12:16 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#370re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/1/08 at 9:11pm

Jeffrey,

You're probably aware that some glitch disrupted the board around 2 this afternoon. I know I'd just completed a post and it and a zillion others disappeared for a while. Thank God it's been fixed. And have been SOOOO glad to hear your Xanadu comments. You're the best!!!!

BroadwayEd

DougieYero Profile Photo
DougieYero
#371re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/3/08 at 9:36am

Sat onstage for yesterday's matinee and the show was really great. It was my third time seeing it, but first time seeing Whoopi.

No cue cards yesterday, and I only noticed a few times when some of the other cast members had to guide her a small bit. Her biggest oops moment was during "Evil Woman." She said something along the lines of "YEA! I FORGOT THE WORDS!" but she played it off really well and the audience laughed/cheered/clapped.

Overall, I thought Whoopi was pretty awesome and you can tell she's getting into the role. I'm sure by then end of her run she'll have it down pat.

jeffrey1dog
#372re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/3/08 at 10:34am

DougieYero - Thanks for sharing.
The flubs are more fun than when they get it right re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#373re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:57pm

Saw it twice now, two days in a row. First front mezz. on Whoopi's first night (anyone who can still be lovable while reading cue cards on a Broadway stage is amazing to me). Then the next day I saw a matinée onstage. Both times I got to see Andre as Melpomene and he is just hilarious. Definitely preferred the onstage seating, just because I was so close to the performers through it all. I could see their facial expressions so much better and actually felt a part of it, especially during the final number.

Shapusen Profile Photo
Shapusen
#374re: The 'Du Crew/fANADu's (XANADU Fans Unite!)
Posted: 8/3/08 at 5:11pm

Slightly 'Du Crew Related...

Last night we and AgentPattyCakes went and saw Mary Testa's Cabaret "Sleepless Variations" at Barrington Stage Company. Bill Finn introduced her as they have been friends since right after college when he plucked her out of the chorus to be in his first musical.

It was definitly a "High Concept" Cabaret but totally relatable with themes of love, loss, and Songs of the Refrigerator.

It was on their second stage, but the house was quite full. The night before Jackie Hoffman was there and supposedly had difficulty getting a ticket (don't worry she made it in!).

We met up with Mary after the show and she remembered us from our many trips to Xanadu, and thanked us for coming and for all of the support. She was entirely gracious, but it was an amazing show and so wonderful to see her in another atmosphere.

Mary also showed what amazing range and abiity she has in performing from songs from Bjork, Buffy St Marie, Aerosmith, Rogers and Hammerstein, and even performed a few songs she wrote herself.

Definitly a wonderful night. Here's hoping she's able to bring this great piece to another venue.

Videos