Mermaid casting

WellIfYouInsist
#25re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:23pm

Seriously? Sounds like pretty valuable information to me.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#26re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:24pm

It is!

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

WellIfYouInsist
#27re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:28pm

Oh. Typo? lol

eb412
#28re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:01pm

who is cheyenne?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#29re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:02pm

Kerry Butler is too busy rehearsing to play Aunt Eller.

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#30re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:04pm

A Baritone who can smoothly sing a high A, are they joking? I mean, all the Baritenor roles over the past few years seem to start straining near the E or F. They want the beauty on the A? They're either gonna need a real TENOR, or click the "transpose" button a few times on Sibelius.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#31re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:26am

I don't think it will be a problem. I know a lot of Baritones who can do that. It is matching up that voice with the "Disney Prince" Look that will be difficult.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#32re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:30am

I think that when they are talking about Baritenor, they are talking more about the Tambor of the voice than the necessity of the person being able to sing lower notes. I think they are looking for a Brian d'arcy James or an Anthony Warlow voice.One that has the meaty sound of a virile, mature man, but that can soar to the higher notes with some element of excitement and power.

Updated On: 1/5/07 at 12:30 AM

DevDev
#33re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:18am

re: Mermaid casting

I'd love to see Erica Piccininni for the role of Ariel. She's got the perfect look and though her singing isn't the most showcased in Jersey Boys, I can tell she'd be an awesome fit.

eb412
#34re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:31am

yeah she definately has a good look for it.

anyone wanna explain who this cheyenne is?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#35re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:35am

That Hot Guy from ALL SHOOK UP

AnythingCanHappen Profile Photo
AnythingCanHappen
#36re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:59am

kerry playing AUNT eller = TOO OLD TO BE ARIEL.

booyah.

and not ragging on you andy but its 'timbre'

"Don't worry, it should never be seen. It's comparable to Britney's hoo-ha." - being.jeremiah in response to the High School Musical 2 logo "You look fantastic, all you need are high heels, cake and a dream." - Amneris

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#37re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 3:11am

slightly OT - When is she scheduled to play Aunt Eller?
& where? Updated On: 1/5/07 at 03:11 AM

NewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
#38re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 7:17am

from reading this quote; 'For Erik they want someone with "Princely charm...that leaves the girls breathless" vocal type "controlled lyrical tenor or baritenor. Gorgeous soaring sound to A".

I think Cheyenne Jackson would be the perfect choice for this role as he is a georgous leading man and has that princely charm to him and has left all the girls breathless ever since ALL SHOOK UP.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#39re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 7:34am

Cheyenne . . . . SWOOOOOON!!!!!!

re: Mermaid casting

". . . POP . . ."

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#40re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 9:00am

It was a joke (not that you'd be able to tell)

Kerry is not playing Aunt Eller anywhere

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

eb412
#41re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:45pm

thanks for explaining who cheyenne is...why did people think he was attached to the project? I thought gavin creel played it in the workshop...

murron Profile Photo
murron
#42re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/6/07 at 6:14am

He did, though I'm not really sure it's him singing Eric on the demo recording.. strange. Nothing like his voice at all

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#43re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/6/07 at 10:05am

I thought Gavin Creel sang on the demo?

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

PhantomMag234
#44re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/6/07 at 3:27pm

I think Gavin did sing on the demo. And if someone can put Erica's picture next to a picture of Ariel I'll be convinced!

murron Profile Photo
murron
#45re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/6/07 at 4:17pm

It may be him, but I couldn't recognize his voice no matter how hard I tried

Marie2
#46re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/7/07 at 6:29pm

Given the description of what they are looking for vocally in this role, I'm really hoping Diana DeGarmo is considered. She can meet the vocal demands and I'd love to see her get a chance to originate a role after she did so well as Penny.

#47re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/7/07 at 9:44pm

Hey All! First time posting, but not new to the boards. I've been reading them for a couple of years. :)

I have to say that one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say that an actress is too old for a role because they happen to know her chronological age. It doesn't matter how old she is in real life. Or even how old she looks walking down the street. What matters is how she reads onstage! Does she embody the part. Does she have the right temperament, the talent, the stage presence. There are 25 year olds who can believably play 35 and 35 year olds who are most believable playing 18.

I don't know if Kerry is the best actress to play Ariel. But I wonder if her age would be such a big deal if she had just "burst onto the scene" recently and everyone assumed she was 25. I almost never wanna see a real teen playing a teenager onstage. With the very rare exception, it's almost always a huge disappointment. They either seem 12 or they just can't act it yet. And Ariel shouldn't read like a true teenager anyway. She marries Prince Eric in the end. It would just be creepy! She has to be verging on womanhood. I want to see the best actress for the role, not the one who is merely "age appropriate".

And why isn't this as big an issue for guys?

Ok, I could go on and on about this topic. But I'll stop here for now - my first two cents, for what it's worth. :)

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#48re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/7/07 at 9:54pm

The guy on the demo doesn't sound ANYTHING like Gavin Creel...it can't be him. Unless he got a new voice from the sea witch.

and Eric is spelled with a 'c'....that is all.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

eb412
#49re: Mermaid casting
Posted: 1/7/07 at 11:03pm

i think her youth is part of her role...she has a naivety and a childish quality that makes her lovable....If someone doesnt feel that young inside it comes across as cheesy when they play a teenager. I hate when people "act" like a teenager.

Videos