pixeltracker

Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)- Page 2

Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#25re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:32am

I'm going to see it tonight. I hear good things and I'm pumped!

trombonist
#26re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:37am

So whizzer (I skipped over the discussions of the actual show)... Were they out before the talkback let out?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#27re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:44am

Yes, they came out fairly quickly. They maybe only took 15 or 20 minutes so I assume they weren't taking place in the call back. I guess if you want to get their autographs you may have skip the talk-back or come back another evening.

They each signed and were very nice and appeared genuine at the stagedoor.

Just an interesting stagedoor story- One of the actresses from Phantom was coming out and she asked the security guard, "Wow did another show just start because I know we don't get any fans at Phantom!"

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

trombonist
#28re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:47am

Thanks. Good to know. :)

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#29re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:51pm

Sorry to start this already, but anticipation of business for a Sunday rush? I'm in for the weekend and want to see this on Sunday. Could someone who's done this or asked at the box office let us know what thoughts are? Is getting there at 9 for a 12 opening far too early?

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#30re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:53pm

whizzer it's funny you mention that about the PHANTOM actress because I was one of three people who saw it last night and were waiting for actors to come out..luckily John Cudia came out after the OLEANNA craziness

anyway back on topic, where are the rush seats for this?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:08am

I saw it tonight and thought it was very well-acted and performed. The first scene is a little slow, but crucial to the mayhem in scenes 2 and 3.

I thought Stiles and Pullman were both fantastic, and the play engaging and gripping.

For what it's worth, I found myself siding with the professor until the play's final moments.

WhizzerMarvin
#32re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:13am

I was interested to hear who you were going to side with in this one adamgreer.

Even though you were siding with the Professor, did you lend any credence to the student's arguments?

Looking back at it, on a theoretical level I sided with her and on a more practical level I sided with him if that makes any sense.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

April Saul
#33re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:18am

rush seats info? not that the rest of this isn't interesting re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:18am

I'd say my reaction would be just the opposite to yours.

I guess I should put a SPOILER warning here at this point...

My gut reaction to the girl in the first scene was that she was baiting him, setting him up. For me, on the theoretical level, I sided with him. She was setting him up. However, then he turns around and does the same thing...twice, by inviting her back. Which of course brings you to the real purpose of the play: the idea about power. Both characters believed they held the power in the situation, and when they both felt they didn't have it, they immediately wanted it back. Because they both felt they had the power, each of them engaged in rather foolish behavior: he by continuing to speak with her (alone, no less) and she by continuing to show up for these clandestine meetings.

As an educator, however, the play made me think about how words and seemingly innocent actions can be easily misinterpreted.
Updated On: 10/1/09 at 12:18 AM

WhizzerMarvin
#35re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:47am

I guess that's the beauty of this piece, and why they felt they needed to have a talk-back after the previews.

I suppose I should say spoilers too.

With Stiles' character I felt she was obviously going over the line saying the attempted to rape her, etc. She was clearly twisting words and actions, but to make a larger point, where I found her correct.

I guess the conflict for me was did the ends justify the means. I did find him to a sexist, egotistical pig. His theories were very elitist and classist.

The problem was she had no power over him to make him change his ways or punish him for this behavior, and that's why I found she manipulated the (seemingly) innocent things he did.

I'm trying to change your mind or anything, because I really see the other side too. I guess like I said before I really find these characters to be wonderful ambiguous, and that's what makes the play so fun to watch.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:49am

I really enjoyed it. I definitely found the first scene a bit slow, but boy did it pick up!

Two great performances. I am really glad I saw it.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#37re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 12:54am

"One of the actresses from Phantom was coming out and she asked the security guard, 'Wow did another show just start because I know we don't get any fans at Phantom!'"

Aww.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

April Saul
#38re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 2:41pm

bump, because a few of us are still hoping for rush info: anyone?

nyc31 Profile Photo
nyc31
#39re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/1/09 at 11:29pm

I went to the box office around 6pm tonight and asked for rush tickets and was able to get tickets. It is a student rush and was 25 dollars. My seats were Rmezz row A

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#40re: Anyone going to OLEANNA tonight? (First preview)
Posted: 10/2/09 at 12:50am

Just saw it tonight. Fascinating play.

Agreed that the first scene was a little slow - John's pontificating isn't any easier for the audience to understand than it is for Carol, and it's easy to check out.

2nd and 3rd scenes are much better. Both Stiles and Pullman are strong, but my friends with me thought that they should have more chemistry than they did, especially after working on these roles for so long.

I did think that Stiles was great though - she has such phenominal diction. I couldn't understand everything Pullman said, so props to her.

My biggest problem with the play is that I didn't feel a sense of urgency to the proceedings - why now? Sure, the play raises good questions, but why produce it now? And with its being highly simple in both this production's execution and in the play itself, it just seems like another quickie one-act play trying to make a buck off of star names this season.

Can't wait to hear news on how it progresses further into previews.
Updated On: 10/4/09 at 12:50 AM

Videos