pixeltracker

How was final FINIANS performance?- Page 2

How was final FINIANS performance?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#25How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:44pm

even big names couldn't salvage the disaster that was YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

I don't know how you can list Young Frankenstein as an example of how stunt casting doesn't work. There were four Tony winners in the cast but none of them are too widely known outside theatre circles. They were big names to us but other than Sutton they weren't that well known by tourists. It's been a long time since Roger's stint on Desperate Housewives.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:47pm

^ I would think most tourists know Megan Mullally. At least by face.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#27How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:50pm

There were four Tony winners in the cast but none of them are too widely known outside theatre circles. They were big names to us but other than Sutton they weren't that well known by tourists. It's been a long time since Roger's stint on Desperate Housewives.

Umm...I guarantee you more tourists know who Megan Mullally is than Sutton Foster. In addition to having a nationally syndicated talk show, Mullally played a memorable character on a hit sitcom for about 6 years, winning two Emmys along the way. She's a MUCH bigger name than Sutton Foster.

Updated On: 1/18/10 at 10:50 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#28How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:51pm

Is is sad that I totally forgot about her? lol I guess it's because I don't consider her "stunt casting" since she does have a Broadway resume.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

FindingNamo
#29How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 10:55pm

"In addition to having a nationally syndicated talk show right now..."

Your time machine is broke.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#30How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 11:08pm

Not to mention, Andrea Martin was also in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and she's known outside of the theatre circle from her SCTV days and various TV and film appearances.

And as others have mentioned, millions know Megan Mullaly, who had the dishonor of having to sing about a large penis in that show, from WILL & GRACE.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#31How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 11:31pm

Generally speaking, I feel that today's theatregoers just don't appreciate older works especially if their initial experiences with musical theatre were through the likes of LES MIZ, MISS SAIGON, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, WICKED, LION KING (and all those Disney shows), LEGALLY BLONDE and a whole host of other spectacles from the last two decades.

Excellent point. RENT was instrumental in getting a younger audience interested in both musical theatre and cast recordings. The downside is a distressing number who expect every musical to follow in the same mould.

And yet, with FINIAN'S RAINBOW I didn't hear any complaints that the score was old-fashioned. It was the book - more specifically the techniques of the book - that I think caused some to be bored or in some way disappointed. Their expectations were defeated.

SOUTH PACIFIC got some of the same complaints too, but in this case they were offset because the show is so well-known thanks to the movie version and frequent stage revivals in local theatres.

FINIAN'S is rarely done any more, and the film was not a big success so it remains a fringe show. I hope the new cast album and the Broadway presence will inspire more community productions of this still viable old chestnut.

RAGTIME (as I mentioned in another thread) has become a regular attraction for community and regional theatres for the past few years and will continue to be done. Yes, it has its flaws but the strengths of the piece easily outweigh the weaknesses. I say the same about LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (getting its Toronto premiere next month), GREY GARDENS and host of other recent shows that despite being financially unsuccessful on Broadway are strong enough to have a life beyond the great white way.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#32How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 11:40pm

Very sad that the show closed. I saw it in October and loved it...LOVED IT!

This show is far from "dated" - I still don't understand what that means? How is this show "dated?"

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#33How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/19/10 at 12:03am

Dagobert and Snoozefest (God, I feel like I'm addressing Smerfs) I wonder, do you actually understand what "Finian's Rainbow" is about? Because it's one of the most content-filled shows ever presented on Broadway. The problem is, you have to understand the history of the United States, the South and the Confederacy to actually "get" it the way it was intended. It was in its day, the equivalent of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" mounted on stage. If you don't understand all the lyrics of songs like "The Begat", if you don't know who the Misbegotten GOP and the DAR were, if you don't understand the Sharecroppers' Compact and the Dixiecrats and the disdain for "Educated Coloreds" and especially The Potato Famine and its impact on immigration, then you are just watching half the show.

That may be why the show seems flat to some audiences.

On the other hand, "South Pacific" when it opened was a colossal blockbuster. The book "Tales of the South Pacific" was a very thin, simple, quick read which sold millions of copies, won the Pulitzer Prize and made the author, James A. Mitchner, an overnight rock star in a time when EVERYONE still read voraciously. The show at one point was so successful (and remember, for a few weeks, Rodgers and Hammerstein had THREE shows running simultaneously on Broadway) that thieves would buy tickets to the show and send them to wealthy couples and then loot their houses while they were attending the performance.

Newlyweds showed up every day at the box office hoping to score tickets after the House Manager made the mistake of taking pity on one young pair and slipping them a pair of ducats.

Comparing the two shows is difficult because "South Pacific" was totally presold and "Finian" was totally unheard of - and still had a nice long run for the period.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/19/10 at 12:37am

"She's a MUCH bigger name than Sutton Foster."

Young Frankenstein did not really have viable B.O. draws other than its name and Mel Brooks and The Producers. Honestly, that was the reason why people were seeing it- hoping they could be in on the magic of the original cast of The Producers again. Whoops.

Mullaly, Martin... names to US. Not to the majority of ticket buyers. Not household names. Recognizable after some prompting maybe, not enough to convince someone to go see a show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RoslynReynolds
#35How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/19/10 at 1:05am

I guess the Wheels of a Dream don't lead
to Finian's rainbow...or vice-versa

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#36How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/19/10 at 4:10pm

That may be why the show seems flat to some audiences.

This reminded me of something I overheard behind me at the TKTS line:
"Finian's Rainbow. It's an old musical. It's a re...it's a re...it's about Ireland."

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#37How was final FINIANS performance?
Posted: 1/20/10 at 3:53pm

allofmylife-
I did not see Finian's - I only reported what others said about it who had seen it and did not share the generally favorable feelings expressed in this thread...and those people I know who did see it were mature, well informed people, familiar with the show (having even been involved with a regional production of it I think at one time) and they found this production flat.

Videos