News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads- Page 2

Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads

Meyerschultz Profile Photo
Meyerschultz
#25Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/21/13 at 1:29pm

Looks like they pushed back the opening a few days, probably because of his prior commitments. All of this must've happened very recently.

ClaraJohnson
#26Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/21/13 at 11:47pm

Belle, Patti and Disneyfan, thanks for the support! I'd seen people get attacked before but never imagined it would be me. And Clyde, hopefully the show will last at least a few weeks since I won't be able to get into NYC 'til late July to see it! I know you're half-kidding... or maybe a quarter...

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#27Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/21/13 at 11:52pm

Well I wasn't actually joking about it not lasting long. I guess it'll make it til opening so you're safe. I wouldn't imagine it lasting more than a month tops.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#28Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 9:19am

Oh what lovely theatre fans like Clyde, it must be great to have such insight in to when a show is going to close before its played a single preview.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ClydeBarrow
#29Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 9:26am

Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

songanddanceman2
#30Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 9:43am

I think i seriously did.

It must be amazing to have more insight than us working on show, directing, writing, producing etc. People should snap you up to work for them.

ClydeBarrow
#31Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 9:49am

You actually have no idea what my capacity within theatre is so don't act like an expert on my life. And you live in the UK so you know much less about the NY theatre scene than someone actually living here.

Plus it's my opinion and I'm making an educated guess about how long this will run. Get over yourself.

songanddanceman2
#32Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:01am

And you have no idea about mine, and i know plenty about the NY theatre scene thanks. Accusing a person of been a shill because they posted a thread about something they want to see on their first post (isn't that pretty much what all newbies do) and then predicting a closing of a show that has not even started previews.....it's all very positive and supportive about this industry that we love and want to thrive.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:01am

Does it really take a theatrical expert to think that a new musical, by entirely unknown authors, which had an unheralded production out of town that most people were unaware of, with low-buzz star, and opening in the summertime is facing an uphill battle?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#34Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:06am

Kad, You forgot a terrible title, bad artwork and a plot description that would give anyone pause!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:08am

I was being generous.

Oh, and we haven't heard any of the music. Which is odd.

Is there ANY aspect of this production that doesn't bode ill?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ClydeBarrow
#36Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:17am

It's so funny that I must have missed where I said that I hoped this production fails because I hate the theatre so much. Not everything will run forever.

I think Kad and Whizzer both eloquently put all the reasons out there that it's destined to fail. Get off your high horse and stop putting words in people's mouths, songanddance.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#37Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:06am

There's a plot?

ClydeBarrow
#38Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:08am

When tightly wound Aaron is set up with cool girl Casey, a quick drink turns into a hilarious dinner served with sides of Google background checks, fake emergency phone calls, a slew of bad boy and uptown girl exes, and some seriously saucy chemistry. Can this mismatched pair turn what could be a dating disaster into something special before the check arrives, or end up at another table for one?

Yikers! That would certainly give pause to anyone with paws.

CurtainPullDowner
#39Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:40am

There's a plot?

WhizzerMarvin
#40Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:41am

Here's a slightly different synopsis that has a few more details:

When tightly wound Aaron (Zachary Levi) is set up with serial-dater Casey (Krysta Rodriguez) a quick drink at a busy New York restaurant turns into a hilarious, high-stakes dinner. As the date unfolds in real time, the couple quickly finds they are not alone on this date as Casey and Aaron's inner critics take on a life of their own when other restaurant patrons and the wait staff get into the act. Dinner is served with sides of Google background checks, fake emergency phone calls, supportive best friends, manipulative exes and protective parents, who sing and dance them through ice-breakers, appetizers and potential conversational land mines. First Date is Broadway's new hysterical and hopeful new musical about the chances we take to find love.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ClydeBarrow
#41Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:45am

I didn't think the plot could get worse but you have proven me wrong Whizzer. Their inner critics taking on a life of their own. Sounds genius!

DeNada
#42Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 11:51am

So it's They're Playing Our Song on date night?

Regardless of the undoubted quality of Levi and Rodriguez as actors, there is nothing to sell this show on.

I hope the score is strong enough to make the inevitable cast recording worth listening to.

WhizzerMarvin
#43Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 12:10pm

I like that their first date turns into a "high-stakes" dinner. Jack Bauer saving the world is high-stakes. Dinner dates are not.

I pray there isn't a song about them facebooking each other; it would be too gruesome! I think there is the opportunity for camp though if the waitstaff begin singing with them.

There was an off-Broadway musical a few years back with Stephanie D'Abruzzo called "I Love You Because" that sounds very similar to this. Courtney Balan and Jordan Leeds played multiple roles (waitress and bartender included) who commented on the action of two couples trying to date in New York. What distinguishes "First Date" from "I Love You Because" or the myriad of other clones that you can find at NYMF each year?

BroadwayStar4 Profile Photo
BroadwayStar4
#44Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 2:48pm

Krysta Rodriguez is awesome!

CurtainPullDowner
#45Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 4:34pm

Guys!
It's hysterical AND hopeful!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#46Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 4:46pm

I'm amazed at the constraint they exercised to not refer to it as "high-STEAKS" or jam in some other terrible pun.

WhizzerMarvin
#47Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 5:21pm

I just looked up some clips on youtube and the songs I found are really bad. Here are some sample lyrics:

(The conversation has stalled and the two leads are searching for something to say)

Guy: It was going so well.
Girl: It was going ok.
Both: But now I'm sitting in hell.
Guy: Cuz I have nothing to say.
Girl: It's unbearable.
Guy: Frickin' terrible.
Both: Like a duel where no one draws
Guy: I've been here before
Girl: I should run for the door
Both: It's the awkward (beat) pause!

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#48Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 5:22pm

With lyrics like that, it's a shoe in for the Pulitzer.

WhizzerMarvin
#49Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
Posted: 5/22/13 at 5:28pm

Ok, here's another song sung by Krysta's character about her first impression of the guy:

If I said, "let's travel"
Bet he'd pick a cruise
His haircut's kinda cute,
But my God he needs new shoes!

Probably likes to cuddle (yick)
Long walks in the park
And if he likes sex
Bet it's only in the dark!

But that's just a first impression-
I could be totally wrong

Videos