"Memphis"

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#25Memphis
Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:42pm

In this country, it really is. There is a reason you came to NYC to see Hedwig, even though I'm sure there are a lot of crappy theaters doing it these days.

I was also referring to what the op said "But then again, these are actors from New York doing this so I guess that says a lot.".
Updated On: 9/13/14 at 09:42 PM

Lord Adalbert
#26Memphis
Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:47pm

I did not see it because of the reviews I am an idiot

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#27Memphis
Posted: 9/13/14 at 10:15pm

So which is it? First you said it is there is no better, then you admit that there are exceptions, now you have switched back to it's the end all of theatre. I guess we should all let the people starring in regional productions that they are in crappy productions at crappy theatres.

Darreyl with an L!

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#28Memphis
Posted: 9/13/14 at 11:14pm

Most actors in New York start their carriers in regional theater or touring production. You never know what they will do next. Sierra Boggess play the understudy of Cosette in a tour production of les Miserables alongside Adam Jacobs (Aladdin, The Lion King). Some actors make the choice of not going in New York for many reasons (family, other career,etc) and play in regional theater.

By the way, I think that the best performance I ever saw was in a regional production of The Man of la Mancha (in french) in Quebec.

Back to Memphis, I remember that when the 1st national tour began, many people on this board thought that Bryan Fenkart did a pretty good job.

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#29Memphis
Posted: 9/13/14 at 11:37pm

^^^^^^
Was it the Jaques Brel translation? I love the album they released of that translation.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Sutton Ross
#30Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:03am

"First you said it is there is no better, then you admit that there are exceptions, now you have switched back to it's the end all of theatre."

I noticed you didn't even acknowledge you came to NYC to see Hedwig. Ha. I guess regional theater could be better, occasionally, but the best talent is or will be coming to New York City. Sierra and Adam are both here now, if you're good enough, you come to New York.

"Back to Memphis, I remember that when the 1st national tour began, many people on this board thought that Bryan Fenkart did a pretty good job."

He was wonderful as Huey, he was younger than Chad, and had a totally different take on it, but the touring cast was good. Not as good as the Broadway one, of course. Memphis

Updated On: 9/14/14 at 12:03 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#31Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:04am

for whoever asked, yes the show is going back on tour for 6 months starting in January 2015.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#32Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:08am

W.T.F does me having coming to NYC to see Hedwig have to do with anything?! I go to NYC ALL the time. I came to NYC to see After Midnight with my Idol Patti LaBelle and also decided to see Hedwig on that trip. Hedwig was not what brought me to NYC. Get your facts right.

I think you are giving regional performers a huge slap in the face by saying that they will never be as good as people on Broadway.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 9/14/14 at 12:08 AM

Sutton Ross
#33Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:13am

And I think Joan Rivers was a piece of monkey sh*t.

I guess we can all have our opinions, Darreyl. Night.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#34Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:27am

So you admit that Regional actors are inferior to Broadway actors in your eyes- How nice. I applaud you for owning up for figuratively spitting in the faces of the many hard working regional actors.

Darreyl with an L!

Sutton Ross
#35Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:33am

Memphis

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#36Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:51am

Not to mention my points weren't an opinion- it is a FACT that you are bashing regional actors.

Darreyl with an L!

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#37Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:59am

"I guess regional theater could be better, occasionally, but the best talent is or will be coming to New York City."

In no way is that "bashing regional actors", Darreyl. You are both stating an opinion about Broadway and regional theaters and the actors that work in those places. Relax.

Also, whenever you start a sentence with "I think you are", you are giving an opinion. FACT.

ASOOS04
#38Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 1:03am

I literally NEVER post on here (and BARELY read) mainly because I think you are all the most uninformed blowhards who have absolutely no idea what you are even analyzing...But this post TAKES THE CAKE. Sutton Ross, you could not sound more ignorant, uninformed or out of touch with the way this business really works. I don't even want to go any further and engage your stupidity, but just know, the union, Actors Equity, recognizes Production (the standard commercial Broadway contract) on the same level as LORT (the highest tier of regional contracts). They are held to the same standards and the actors working under them are at the same level. Oh, and I checked the actors bios and if fact you are sadly mistaken, several performers have appeared on Broadway. Take your Monday morning quarterbacking elsewhere.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#39Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 1:10am

@Everlast85
"A regional production, and the people involved, doesn't come close to a Broadway one on pretty much every level. "

"The very best theater actors work in New York. I would say the majority of theater actors want to work in New York. They aren't in some regional theater in the middle of nowhere for a reason. "

"Broadway trumps regional productions, how strange you wouldn't realize that with the prices, the talent, and the money involved."

To my comment about Broadway not being the End all of Theatre- "In this country, it really is. There is a reason you came to NYC to see Hedwig, even though I'm sure there are a lot of crappy theaters doing it these days."

Explain to me how this is doing anything but saying that Regional actors are lower then Broadway ones and knocking their talents?

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 9/14/14 at 01:10 AM

AwesomeDanny
#40Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 1:21am

Much of what's on Broadway comes from regional theaters these days, ART and Steppenwolf probably being the most recognizable ones. I've seen some awful shows at regional theaters and some of the finest theatre I've ever seen at regional theaters. I've seen some dreadful shows on Broadway, and I've seen some truly fantastic shows on Broadway. I've even seen some amazing work from entirely non-equity companies putting up shows on shoestring budgets. Neither geography nor name recognition is the ultimate indicator of quality. You may recall an exchange from Gypsy in which one character tells Rose "New York is the center of the world!" and she replies "New York is the center of New York!"

On the original subject of the thread, I was never a fan of the show. I did not find the book to be engaging, the score was not my cup of tea, and the lyrics ("love it with your feet," anyone?) were not always of the finest quality. It did win Best Musical and Best Score, but that was an especially weak season for new musicals--the only other musical with an original score that year was The Addams Family. My favorite musicals of that season were actually Everyday Rapture and Sondheim on Sondheim, and neither of them were really musicals in the traditional sense (one was a cabaret and one was a revue). It was not Broadway's finest season.

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#41Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 1:23am

I think we both know what bashing is on this message board, and this isn't it. Sutton wasn't being personal, insulting certain actors or theaters, she was just offering her strong opinion, which is what you do on this board all the time. Not to mention thousands of others. I think I remember reading a Rocky thread and it was just brutal. Personal attacks, name calling the creatives, insulting the "trash" in the audience. That's bashing.

This is just someone's view. They believe Broadway theaters and actors are better. I guess you will just have to accept that as their view and move on. You have said on other threads "I have my opinion, and you have yours, we aren't going to change each others minds" or something to that effect. I'm rambling. I'm also kinda drunk and tired. I apologize.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#42Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 2:52am

When it comes to regional theatres, the important thing to remember is location, location, location. A 400 seat theatre in Oklahoma is not going to produce as quality of work as a 199 seat theatre in New York. I would say that you can usually rely on some quality of work in New York, but anywhere else you have to try every theatre company out to see which ones are good. If you live in the Silicon Valley or San Francisco (where I'm from) I can recommend Theatreworks, ACT-SF, and 42nd Street Moon unconditionally, with San Francisco Playhouse and Berkeley Repertory Theatre if you want to see that show in particular. All others (LASC, PA Players, etc.) being a steer clear.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

Wayman_Wong
#43Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:09am

I won't get into the Broadway vs. regional-theater debate, except to note that 'Memphis' actually got its start in regional theaters. It tried out and was finetuned at the North Shore Music Theatre (Mass.), TheatreWorks (Calif.), La Jolla Playhouse (Calif.) and 5th Ave. Theatre (Wash.) before it landed on Broadway. ... Even in previews, its detractors here predicted 'Memphis' would close shortly after its opening, but the show got the last laugh: It got many favorable reviews, like Michael Kuchwara's at Associated Press: 'This exhilarating new musical is the very essence of what a Broadway musical should be.' It swept the Best Musical prizes from the Outer Critics, the Drama Desk and the Tonys; ran for about 1,200 performances, and was filmed in HDTV, shown in movie theaters and aired on PBS, where it won an Emmy.

As for Chad Kimball, his tour de force as Huey garnered him Best Actor nominations from the Outer Critics, the Drama Desk and the Tonys. John Simon was among the critics who cheered him: 'Chad Kimball is so perfect (as Huey) that not for a moment do you believe it is only acting. This is a performance made out of flesh and blood.' And even some reviewers who didn't rave about the show, raved about Kimball, like Adam Feldman at Time Out New York: 'The show's assets begin with Kimball's dynamic, courageously outre leading performance as Huey.'

Sutton Ross
#44Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:24am

What a wonderful post Wayman, thank you. During a break from school on the West Coast, I was lucky enough to volunteer usher for Theatreworks for a weekend when Memphis was there (January 2004), and it was so special. The show needed a little work, and I was so thrilled when it came to Broadway. For most shows, and actors, that seems to be the goal. We both know what happened to Montego and Chad and their unbelievable talent. Chad became Huey Calhoun, he put everything he had in that part, even sacrificing his own health. It was thrilling every single time to watch him. The talent was unreal. He told me last year that Broadway is "his home", so I truly hope he comes back.

Thank you Everlast, you are correct. My opinions are mine to have, it's cool if Darreyl doesn't like them, I think he will find a way to go on with his life. The only fact in my statements was that Broadway productions cost more than regional ones. The rest are just my views.

Updated On: 9/14/14 at 03:24 AM

SnoopyQc Profile Photo
SnoopyQc
#45Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 1:05pm

"Was it the Jaques Brel translation? I love the album they released of that translation."

Yes it was. But that time, no album. The only thing that I got is a 30 secondes tv advertising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Mdl56dD4E).

Maybe I do not speak English as well as you, but I can perfectly pronounce the names of all characters of Les Misérables.

sparepart973
#46Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:14pm

Just out of curiosity, did the Broadway production have alternates for both its leads? It's opening in London soon, and its lead Beverley Knight is off on Monday evenings and Wednesday mats, I believe, and the lead male is off on Thursday evenings.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#47Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:18pm

no it didn't. However, Chad Kimball frequently missed shows during the last 6 months or so he was with the show due to vocal problems.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross
#48Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:30pm

It was due to horrible nerve damage, actually. It had very little to do with vocal problems.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#49Memphis
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:48pm

Brian Dennehy and Nathan Lane performed The Iceman Cometh together in what was easily one of the best reviewed productions of this century.

The show was performed in Chicago.

Broadway isn't the be all end all.

Videos