pixeltracker

Joy Behar was asked to take "Hello, Dolly" on tour- Page 2

Joy Behar was asked to take "Hello, Dolly" on tour

Jarethan
#25Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 6:02pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Katharine Hepburn was a wonderful actress.  But I've heard a bit of her "singing".  In no way, shape or form did it resemble actual singing.  It was just spoken words with musical accompaniment.  Sheer torture.

I saw Coco 3 times in its original run, and played the OBC album constantly when it came out.  Much of the music is excellent, the lyrics were Alan J Lerner terrific, and Hepburn did very well playing a character.  No-one expected her to sing well, they wanted her to stay on key and not be flat; and she stayed on key.  And she sang every bit as well as Carol Channing did.  I didn't care if it was a combination of talking and singing.  

My only point was that, if that was the only issue keeping her from doing it -- and I would probably have to see her when she hit Tampa -- I would tell her that Dolly's songs are not exactly hard and that she should see a voice coach to determine i.  The main requirements are to breathe, remember the lyrics, and stay on key.  That was true of Channing, Rogers (who actually had a pretty limited singing voice and sang off-key very noticeably several times when I saw her Dolly), and every other essentially non-singer who has played Dolly over the years.

Zamedy154
#26Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 7:44pm

A few things..

-I saw Bette two weeks ago. I also saw her in previews in late March. She sounded AMAZING two weeks ago; stronger than in previews. She did NOT sound or sing like Channing (from OBCR) and actually took liberty several times on notes to go UP and add that distinct Bette flare. I'm going back tomorrow.

-Just passed a guy next to TKTS selling 8th row mezz tickets for tonight for half price ($89 I think he said). Ugh! I paid more for that for side balcony!

-A 'big name' on the road has to be a BIG, mainstream road. No one knows Rachel York or even the divine Donna Murphy. 'Big names' on the road usually mean someone who's been on TV. Everyone knows Sally Struthers, Nell Carter (RIP), and 'the guy from Dukes of Hazard.'

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#27Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 8:05pm

David10086 said: "This reminds me of talkshow host Kathie Lee Gifford back in the mid-1990s:

Allegedly, when she was the ratings queen with Regis Philbin back then (Live With Regis & Kathie Lee was the #1 daytime show) Andrew Lloyd Webber  offered her the role of 'Norma Desmond' for the first year of the US tour of 'Sunset Boulevard' back in 1996. (Clever move by ALW, knowing she came with a built-in fanbase/audience around the country). However, she was in the middle of her multi-year contract with the show/Disney/ABC, and they would not let her take the extended time off. They threatened her with a massive 'breach of contract' lawsuit if she dared leave the show. She stayed put.

There was a lot of gossip about this in New York (my friend  'the vocal coach' was privy to a lot of this info at the time, working with different shows, and used to fill me in Joy Behar was asked to take ; and it was well-known that KLG was NOT happy being denied this opportunity. .

Wow - never heard this tidbit David10086. I wonder what would have happened. I doubt the tour would've done much better financially since the operating costs were so astronomical that Glenn Close on the road probably wouldn't have been able to recoup the costs... But perhaps it would've run longer?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 9:48pm

I saw Bette twice in previews and she sang the score exactly the same as she did on the cast recording, which is all of the Channing notes, nothing optional. If she's taking notes up now like Donna Murphy does wonderfully, then she must've started doing that after previews and the cast recording. 

Mary Martin and obviously Merman also sang optional notes in the score, similar to what Murphy is doing.

jimmycurry01
#29Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 11:08pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "Cora Hoover Hooper said: "Joy may have some name recognition, but in the theater??? Dolly needs a big name to sell it on the road (a reason to see this old warhorse again).

I wouldn't think of Dolly as a warhorse in all honesty. Shows like Oklahoma or Carousel are warhorses, but Dolly has huge audiences even on Donna days. I couldn't think of any reason to sit through those two aforementioned shows without a star, but with Dolly, I'd gladly see it with a low-tier actress even. 

"

Of course Dolly is a warhorse.

Look, folks in middle America see Dolly all the time. It is regularly produced in high schools, community theatres, and regional houses. If someone just saw this regionally last season, they need a big name to get them to want to see it again at tour house prices.

bk
#30Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 11:14pm

Nobody contacted her about anything.  She was either joking or just making some publicity.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#31Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/4/17 at 11:25pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "Cora Hoover Hooper said: "Joy may have some name recognition, but in the theater??? Dolly needs a big name to sell it on the road (a reason to see this old warhorse again).

I wouldn't think of Dolly as a warhorse in all honesty. Shows like Oklahoma or Carousel are warhorses, but Dolly has huge audiences even on Donna days. I couldn't think of any reason to sit through those two aforementioned shows without a star, but with Dolly, I'd gladly see it with a low-tier actress even. 

"

Of course Dolly is a warhorse.

Look, folks in middle America see Dolly all the time. It is regularly produced in high schools, community theatres, and regional houses. If someone just saw this regionally last season, they need a big name to get them to want to see it again at tour house prices.

In high schools? Community theatres and regional theatres, sure. But high schools are more inclined to do shows such as Millie, Shrek, Addams Family, etc. Stuff with easy staging and quick, cheap costumes. A regular theatre-goer might be tired of this if they just saw it last season, but this is one of those shows that never gets old for many (I'm a biased fan though, so what do I know?). 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#32Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/5/17 at 12:09am

Don't know why it was deleted .  But Idont care.  I'm telling you again.  Faith Prince.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

theatreguy12
#33Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/5/17 at 2:17am

Faith Prince would be amazing in the role.   Perfect really.

Can't see Behar in this role at all, nor would I want to if she had agreed to the tour.  

As for Gifford as Norma Desmond which was mentioned earlier?   Not even.  Wouldn't have had any interest in that either.   At all.  Just can't see it.

Zamedy154
#34Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/5/17 at 7:59am

Tony award winner Faith Prince would be wonderful.

Her Adeline, in my opinion, was one of the greatest comedic Broadway performances ever.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#35Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/5/17 at 8:01am

Gifford always said her dream was to be a Broadway star in musicals, from when she was a little girl. She loved singing and dancing, and acting. I think ALW was smart if he indeed did offer her the role, and think she could pull it off. As I said earlier - she was one of the most popular women on daytime TV back then (mid 90s) and she would have sold out the tour across America. Could she sing the scores perfectly? Who knows...but she could sing well enough to take the show on the road and bring in the money; and sold out box offices is what it's all about.. Perhaps this would have led to her dream at 40+ years old: being a Broadway star?

Since then she was offered one other role - in the Sondheim revue, in which she got very good reviews, from what I recall.  Months later she leaves the show - and nothing else  (till years later when she wrote her own musical?) ...that's what is puzzling to me. What happened to all the offers she had to turn down from the mid-to-late 90s? Where were all those producers and directors since then? 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#36Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/5/17 at 10:36am

David10086 said: "Gifford always said her dream was to be a Broadway star in musicals, from when she was a little girl. She loved singing and dancing, and acting. I think ALW was smart if he indeed did offer her the role, and think she could pull it off. As I said earlier - she was one of the most popular women on daytime TV back then (mid 90s) and she would have sold out the tour across America. Could she sing the scores perfectly? Who knows...but she could sing well enough to take the show on the road and bring in the money; and sold out box offices is what it's all about.. Perhaps this would have led to her dream at 40+ years old: being a Broadway star?

Since then she was offered one other role - in the Sondheim revue, in which she got very good reviews, from what I recall.  Months later she leaves the show - and nothing else  (till years later when she wrote her own musical?) ...that's what is puzzling to me. What happened to all the offers she had to turn down from the mid-to-late 90s? Where were all those producers and directors since then? 

"

The more I've thought about this, the more I wonder why Gifford as Norma now - on a US Tour hasn't been discussed.  Especially in middle America, she's still a name with the Today show gig.  And her life story would add an authenticity to her characterization.  And because shes not an A list actress, they probably could get her for a reasonable rate

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#37Joy Behar was asked to take
Posted: 8/5/17 at 3:23pm

I think KLG could make a very good Norma on tour (maybe Regis could play Max!), but I have a feeling NBC won't let her out of her contract to tour, just like ABC wouldn't let her 20 years ago. She and Hoda have a ratings hit with their hour show (though I don't like it - they seem too phony)...

Yet  she may be too old - she will be 67 in a few weeks. I think there are other fine actresses more age appropriate who could do a tour - and not be under any contracts to a network.

Just my two pennies worth.  

Videos