On the other hand, I didn't find Jersey
Boys nearly as bad as I expected.

FTR, I'm a fan of and remember both
groups.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#26Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/23/17 at 1:18pm

Best: AMERICAN IDIOT. I appreciated the artistry and thought that went into fleshing out a concept album that was mostly based in Bush-era post-9/11 millenial angst.

Worst: BABY IT'S YOU. I had free tickets and I found it disgusting lazy. Also, ON YOUR FEET. I was gravely disappointed by this because it tried to overinflate a life that didn't really have a lot to work with in terms of dramatic tension. The fact that 60% of Act II is based around a bus accident shows you how thin they tried to stretch it.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#27Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/23/17 at 2:35pm

Footloose is not a jukebox musical

Best - American Idiot, Our House, Jersey Boys.

Ok - On Your Feet (lots of fun but could have gone deeper)

Worst - Good Vibrations (at the moment my company is trying to secure rights to Beach Boys Music as I think it's a crying shame that this mess of a show was built around such great music. We have a script ready to go, the show written, now it's just trying to secure the music)

Monkee Business - just a disaster from start to finish.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

PatrickDennis92
#28Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/23/17 at 3:09pm

I thought On Your Feet was horrible; I really think it lacks taste to produce a bio musical about yourself. Cher’s better be f*ing amazing.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#29Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/23/17 at 7:35pm

Best: Movin' Out, Jersey Boys, Beautiful.

Average: American Idiot, Motown, Xanadu

Worst: Mamma Mia!, On Your Feet, Good Vibrations, Lennon, Disaster

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

yfs
#30Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/23/17 at 11:24pm

No mention at all of SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE which, in some ways, started the trend with old rock after AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' kind set the tone for high quality with early jazz. I'm a fan of both, and neither has a spoken word. Well, that's not strictly true, the latter has one short speech before the finale. 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#31Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/24/17 at 1:49am

For that matter, have we forgotten Black and Blue already? That was the After Midnight of its day.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/24/17 at 2:35am

Personally, I just don't consider revues to be "jukebox musicals".  Black and Blue and Ain't Misbehavin' were both stellar revues.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#33Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/24/17 at 9:22am

Best - Moving Out. Michael Cavanaugh was fantastic singing the Bill Joel songs with a great band.  Dancing was just wonderful.

Worst - Tie between Lennon & Good Vibrations. 

kaykordeath
#34Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/24/17 at 9:32am

Mister Matt said: "Personally, I just don't consider revues to be "jukebox musicals". Black and Blue and Ain't Misbehavin' were both stellar revues."

That's fair.

So then, I'll point to Five Guys Named as having a through-line/plot but was at the head of the jukebox trend.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#35Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/28/17 at 7:38am

I personally loved On Your Feet! even though there were some weak points in the book, the performances (aside from Josh Serragara (sp?) were all amazing and it made for a really fun night out

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#36Best And Worst Jukebox Musical Through The Years
Posted: 12/28/17 at 10:15am

ACL2006 said: "Average: American Idiot, Motown, Xanadu"

I feel like Xanadu is a bit of an interesting case -- E.L.O. did write the original songs for the movie years ago that were used in the show, but they fleshed out the musical with other songs of the decade. I think it worked really well, because even though those songs were melodramatic in the movie, the show is very aware of how stupid it is and makes it comedic. Some of the jukebox ones still don't work that well, but it's overall a very enjoyable (and quick) night out. It's a great show with some not-so-great jukebox choices. 

Videos