pixeltracker

Sondheim revival renaissance - Page 2

Sondheim revival renaissance

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#25Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/18/23 at 9:51am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I was told not long ago by a reputable source that Andre Bishop has no interest in ever producing FOLLIES, and was never inclined to bring over the National Theatre production or mount his own. He had a relationship with Sondheim dating back to the original SUNDAY and ASSASSINS (he produced & developed both when he ran Playwrights Horizons), developed & co-produced PASSION, and produced THE FROGS among other projects."

I wonder why. Maybe he just doesn't care for it.

Theatrefanboy1
#26Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/18/23 at 7:09pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "I've heard that the Andrews/Blanchett Night Music will happen VERY soon."

Just curious have you heard this from a well informed source as well. Or just speculation?  I’ve heard this too I’m just wondering if someone more involved has information as well. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#27Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/18/23 at 7:28pm

I'd love a Follies revival with Audra McDonald & Hannah Waddingham leading. The NT production was so stunning, I wish they bring it over with these ladies in the lead.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#28Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/19/23 at 1:28am

Julie Andrews and Cate Blanchett in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC? I would like to see it.

I'd also love to see a queer-leaning FORUM with Jinkx Monsoon as Pseudolus.

By the time anyone is ready to give money to another revival of FOLLIES,  Kelli O'Hara will be the perfect age for Sally and honestly I can't imagine anyone better for it. Someone mentioned Laura Benanti for Phyllis which is inspired, but I'd prefer someone with more bite...probably a "name" that would surprise us. Maybe Anne Hathaway, but even that feels too safe. Someone we wouldn't expect. Honestly, I think Adele would be a really good Phyllis. Also Brian D'Arcy James would be a lovely Buddy.

But if we're talking about GYPSY - there's one and only one choice for Rose; and it's Audra McDonald.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#29Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/19/23 at 3:03am

I'm one of those heinous people who doesn't care for Follies or listening to doddering old white people reminisce about their issues.  

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#30Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/19/23 at 10:34am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "I've heard that the Andrews/Blanchett Night Music will happen VERY soon."

Just curious have you heard this from a well informed source as well. Or just speculation? I’ve heard this too I’m just wondering if someone more involved has information as well.
"

Yeah don't tease us like this!

It sounds too good to be true...

SisterGeorge
#31Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/19/23 at 12:57pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Jarethan said: "Other than Follies, what would benefit from playing the Beaumont?"

I think a lush production of Night Musicwould be incredible in the Beaumont, especially since LCT doesn’t tend to skimp out on the size of the orchestra.
"

The Night Music at the National's Olivier Theatre, a space not unlike the Beaumont, was magnificent. Of course, that starred Judy Dench, Siân Phillips, and Patricia Hodge, directed by Sean Mathias. LCT would have to reach for the stars in order to compare.

Sister George

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#32Sondheim revival renaissance
Posted: 3/19/23 at 1:18pm

SisterGeorge said: "AEA AGMA SM said: "Jarethan said: "Other than Follies, what would benefit from playing the Beaumont?"

I think a lush production of Night Musicwould be incredible in the Beaumont, especially since LCT doesn’t tend to skimp out on the size of the orchestra.
"

The Night Music at the National's Olivier Theatre, a space not unlike the Beaumont, was magnificent. Of course, that starred Judy Dench, Siân Phillips, and Patricia Hodge, directed by Sean Mathias. LCT would have to reach for the stars in order to compare.
"

That was almost 30 years ago.

ANY revival immediately causes people to draw comparisons to previous productions, but it seems strange to me to single out that one as the one that an LCT production MUST live up to because the theatres are kinda similar. 

If anything, potential casting for a new revival would probably be "competing" with the last Broadway revival. 

Videos