pixeltracker

Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award- Page 2

Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#25Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:22pm

Some miscellaneous thoughts:

Pretty sure these are new rules, and they’re very confusing. Some of the ones they deemed “different enough” seem kind of arbitrary. I have to wonder if, in fact, some of these productions (especially Merrily) simply didn’t invite the voters. 

Of the people I DID predict, who did NOT get in, the ones I’m most disappointed/surprised by are:
--Shannon Tyo – while none of her individual performances were necessarily knockout roles, she is on an incredible hot streak right now in the Off-Broadway sphere, and since the Drama League’s acknowledge multiple performances per nomination if applicable, I’m surprised they didn’t go for her. FWIW I also think she’s one of the most skilled actors working in NYC right now. 
--Nobody from Raisin in the Sun? 
--Nobody Seagull / Woodstock?  
--Grace McLean – Bad Cinderella
--Quincy Tyler Bernstein - Evanston Salt Costs Climbing
--Wendell Piece – Death of a Salesman

Of people I did NOT predict, who DID get in, I’m most happy about:
--Marylouise Burke -- Epiphany. Loved that play, and I forgot it was eligible 
--Brittany Bradford – Wedding Band. A fantastic performance, again forgot it was eligible 
--Jordan E. Cooper – Ain’t No Mo 
--Esco Jouley – Wolf Play

Jarethan
#26Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:22pm

Theaterlover83 said: "Interesting…I noticed Wendell Pierce wasn’t nominated nor Death of a Salesman. I thought these were stand outs this season. What happened ?

He’s there.

Theaterlover83
#27Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:27pm

No he’s not. The list on the first page is just predictions. He was shut out and DOAS was not nominated for best revival 

BdwyFan
#28Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:29pm

These award nominations have zero basis for what happens with TONYs.  It’s just so random. 

MadsonMelo
#29Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:35pm

Those are the nominees also eligible for the Tonys:

*Actress in Musical*
Annaleigh Ashford, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Sara Bareilles, Into the Woods
Lorna Courtney, & Juliet
Micaela Diamond, Parade
Patina Miller, Into the Woods
Phillipa Soo, Camelot
Anna Uzele, New York, New York

*Actor in Musical*
J. Harrison Ghee, Some Like It Hot
Josh Groban, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Colton Ryan, New York, New York
Will Swenson, A Beautiful Noise

Featured Actor in Musical
Alex Newell, Shucked

Featured Actress in Musical
Betsy Wolfe, & Juliet

ELP
#30Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:36pm

BdwyFan said: "These award nominations have zero basis for what happens with TONYs. It’s just so random."

^1,000% this!

Jumpin_J
#31Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:41pm

I couldn't agree more! Further more, how does the league get away nominating shows that haven't even opened? Look, I know awards are mostly a political farce, but this is simply absurd beyond words. 

DCS
#32Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:45pm

bdn223 said: "The following is what this tells us about the Tonys:

Alex Newell is the clear front runner for Featured Actor in a musical, and that they might beShucked's only acting nomination

J. Harrison Ghee possibly being the only acting nominee fromSome Like It Hot

Bad Cinderella seems more and more likely to be shut out of the Tony's especially with the lack of recognition for either Carolee nor Grace's performances despite community support.

Lead actress in a musical noms are wide open with 7 actresses nominated, and this does not include front runner Victoria Clark who was not elligible and the same can be said for Leading Actor in a Play.
"

I don't think it tells us anything about the Tony Awards.  The Tony nominations are determined by the Nominating Committee and I suspect there is zero overlap with the members of Drama League.  As for the Tony winners, are any members of the Drama League also Tony voters?  If there are, I would think it's a very very small number.  Who exactly are the Drama League members?  Their nominations always come first each season, but are basically meaningless except for the PR usage of the shows that are nominated.

ElephantLoveMedley
#33Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:11pm

I was somewhat surprised to not see Burnap or Donica nominated.

JSquared2
#34Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:19pm

bdn223 said: "The following is what this tells us about the Tonys:

Alex Newell is the clear front runner for Featured Actor in a musical, and that they might beShucked's only acting nomination

J. Harrison Ghee possibly being the only acting nominee fromSome Like It Hot

Bad Cinderella seems more and more likely to be shut out of the Tony's especially with the lack of recognition for either Carolee nor Grace's performances despite community support.

Lead actress in a musical noms are wide open with 7 actresses nominated, and this does not include front runner Victoria Clark who was not elligible and the same can be said for Leading Actor in a Play.
"

Alex Newell has already opted to be submitted in the Featured Actress category -- so there goes that part of your theory.

I also think Some Like it Hot will do much better in the acting categories -- with Christian Borle, Natasha Yvette Williams and Kevin del Aguila still string contenders.

ElephantLoveMedley
#35Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 1:24pm

JSquared2 said: "Alex Newell has already opted to be submitted in the Featured Actress category -- so there goes that part of your theory."

This is incorrect. Per this article, "BroadwayWorld has confirmed that Alex Newell, who identifies as gender nonconforming and plays a woman in SHUCKED, has also requested to be considered in that category. "After consultation with Alex, the production submitted them for Featured Actor."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#36Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 4:58pm

Without strong contenders from Kimberly Akimbo in the mix here, I wouldn’t call anyone a frontrunner solely based on this list. Victoria Clark, Bonnie Milligan, and Justin Cooley are still very much threats for the Tony. It sort of feels like the year The Band’s Visit swept the acting awards while they were ineligible at the other ceremonies.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#37Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 6:00pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Without strong contenders fromKimberly Akimboin the mix here, I wouldn’t call anyone a frontrunner solely based on this list. Victoria Clark, Bonnie Milligan, and Justin Cooley are still very much threats for the Tony. It sort of feels like the yearThe Band’s Visitswept the acting awards while they were ineligible at the other ceremonies."

I wouldn't consider 3/4 a "sweep" since it had no nods for Featured Actress (which went to Lindsay Mendez for CAROUSEL)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jarethan
#38Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 6:11pm

HenryTDobson said: "I think this will definitely go to Victoria Clark but I could also see Sara Bareilles or Christian Borle getting it."

Christian Borle??????????????????  Really??????????????

Based on reviews, I will be very surprised if neither Comer or Clark is given the award.  Based on early feedback on Hayes, I had thought that he would be in the mix, but he received enough 'non-raves' to no longer be a serious contender IMO.  Comer and Clark both received incredible reviews, Comer even more so than Clark, but I do understand the logic previously stated that a great performance + a career could outshine a great performance in a debut.

That said, I am betting on Comer...and I haven't even seen her yet...not for another two weeks.

chrishuyen
#39Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 6:23pm

Well Victoria Clark isn't eligible for this year's Drama League award, and I feel like while they do usually select a very good performance, it isn't necessarily the best performance of the season, but more just someone they want to honor in a broader sense.  I don't know if this is the year for Christian Borle to get it, but I don't think it's out of question for him to be in contention either, though I think J. Harrison Ghee probably has equal if not greater chance.  I think Jefferson Mays and Stephen McKinley Henderson are probably in the running too.

I'm also surprised at the exclusion of Wendell Pierce 

romain2
#40Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 8:45pm

I wish Brandon Uranowitz had been nominated. I finally caught Leopoldstadt a few weeks ago and loved his work. I heard David Krumholtz was great, but catching Joshua Malina (again; I have seen him before) was nice. Brandon is such a versatile actor--he was so different here than in American in Paris and Burn This. Terrific.

ELP
#41Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 11:24pm

I wouldn’t take the DL nominations, or lack thereof of those whose performances warrant obvious recognition, too seriously.

There are so many omissions that defy credulity, I would take these with less than a grain of salt!

rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
#42Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/25/23 at 11:33pm

Stunning omissions are pretty much the norm for the DL Awards, IMO.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#43Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 4/26/23 at 12:08am

I would love nothing more than for Marla Mindelle to win.

I think with the absence of Victoria Clark, it’s going to be Stephen McKinley Henderson, Jodie Comer, or Annaleigh Ashford.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#44Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:36pm

Annaleigh Ashford has won the Distinguished Performance Award!

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#45Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:37pm

• 'A Doll's House' wins Outstanding Revival of a Play

• deBessonet wins Direction of a Musical (ITW)

• Kauffman wins Direction of a Play (TSISBW)

• 'Into the Woods' wins Outstanding Revival of a Musical

• 'Leopoldstadt' wins Outstanding Play

• 'Some Like It Hot' wins Outstanding Musical

• Annaleigh Ashford wins Distinguished Performance for 'Sweeney Todd'

BETTY22
#46Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:39pm

CONGRATS....

I think TONY is going to be between Some Like It Hot and Kimberly - Parade and Into The Woods 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#47Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:43pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Annaleigh Ashford has won the Distinguished Performance Award!"

Well deserved for her extraordinary performance! heart

ElephantLoveMedley
#48Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 5/19/23 at 2:47pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Annaleigh Ashford has won the Distinguished Performance Award!"

Brilliant. A most deserving performance. 

Jarethan
#49Drama League 2023 Distinguished Performance Award
Posted: 5/19/23 at 3:58pm

I have not seen this production, and I have loved Ashford in everything I have seen her in; however, I am shocked...I remember a number of critics saying she was dangerously close to or being completely over the top, and that her diction wasn't great in the songs, i.e., the lyrics were not always comprehensible.  I cant say that I am disappointed, however.  I also thought that Comer was dangerously close to overacting.  Of the performances I have seen, I thought Chastain gave the best performance; but I have missed some eligible highly acclaimed, frequently limited engagement performances, including those of Hayes, Henderson,and the Top Dog gents.

I am in the camp that thought that Clark gave a terrific performance, but I don't think it is awful that she didn't win, Mrs. Lovett is certainly a meaty role that allows a solid performer to shine.

Videos