News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards- Page 2

NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards

heybaby
#25NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 1:07pm

TBH the 4 supporting noms for DOWNSTATE make complete sense to me. It was on another level. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#27NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 1:28pm

I think New York, New York has a ceiling of 10 nominations at the Tonys. Their best case scenario is:

Best Musical, director, lead actor, lead actress, choreography, scenic design, lighting design, costume design, orchestrations. Plus a 10th nom for score IF deemed eligible.

director and the two lead acting awards are its shakiest right now. I see it as "on the bubble" for all three of those races.

But in terms of actual wins, I think it only has a shot for scenic design and choreography. Actually, the mention of SpongeBob above is a good comparison of OCC vs Tony performance. I think it will get checked off in many categories because of the creatives involved, but only win scenic design. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#28NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 1:34pm

yyys said: "Are they like the equivalent of People's Choice Awards?"

More like the Nickelodeon awards.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
JSquared2
#30NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 2:01pm

Fordham2015 said: "I heard Downstate was great, but having four out of five supporting performance slots go to one show seems like overkill."

Agreed.  If they loved it THAT much, they should have given it a special citation for Best Ensemble or something like that.  

NeverRight
#31NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 2:14pm

*Pins target on back*

I've only seen 6 of these, so gobble a large grain of salt with this:

Musical: " Some Like It Hot" - Liked it,  "Shucked" - Loved it (twice), "&Juliet" - Liked it. 

Lead Actor:  Michaela - Strong, moving performance.  Good choice.  Caroline - Charming and believable.  Another good choice.  Ghee - Fun to watch. 

Featured Actor:  Alex - No brainer!  Show-stopping = Deserving.  A clear choice.  NaTasha - Solid all-around.  Good choice

Revival:  "Sweeney Todd"  - Better than I expected.  Love me some Josh!

Will be seeing NYNY this weekend.  I hope it's good.

BETTY22
#32NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 2:47pm

I love theatre award season. Hoping all these nomination for 'Some Like It Hot' gives them a big boost at the box office. 

EAPEAPMO
#33NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 3:07pm

ITT: So glad SLIH got 10 nominations, I'm looking forward to their box office boost! So deserved!

Also ITT: NYNY got 12 nominations? The OCC is a complete joke, all the people on their board are ignoramous clowns, and I hope that show burns in the firey pits of hell!

Bunch of crabby snakes in here. Must be a very exciting day for Colton and Anna, I hope they have a wonderful opening night. 

Updated On: 4/26/23 at 03:07 PM

chrishuyen
#34NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 6:40pm

I do expect both NYNY and Some Like It Hot to do well in terms of technical nominations.  NYNY still has a lot of gorgeous elements to look at despite how clunky the book is, so I'm not that surprised about these nominations it got (other than nominating both leads...I wonder if recency bias came into play, assuming that this was one of the more recent shows critics saw).

My understanding is that OCC is made up of critics not based in NYC, who based on out of town tryouts/tours, tend to not be as tough as NYC critics.  So while they're not necessarily the same mindset as tourists, I'd say they're probably closer to tourist sensibilities than the usual roundup of NYC critics, which would also make sense for why NYNY did well in these nominations (and Some Like It Hot for that matter).  I was pretty happy to see the multiple acting nominations for Downstate as well

PipingHotPiccolo
#35NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 7:49pm

on the one hand i cant get over how much we indulge in this game where the random ppl who decide the Tony noms are somehow more valid/important than the random ppl who decide these noms.

THAT SAID these are kinda funny--particularly the idea that they cut the number of lead actors nominations in half, down just 5 and gave 2 of them to to Colton Ryan and Anna Uzele. Who were both fine (i liked Colton alot, I hope he gets a Tony nom) but that is simply preposterous. 

THAT THAT SAID: love seeing the Downstate love. love seeing J Harrison Ghee and Micaela Diamond being singled out on such a short list. love seeing Michael Potts and Brandon Uranowitz making this cut. LOVED THAT CALLUM FRANCIS GOT RECOGNIZED. 

Zeppie2022
#36NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 4/26/23 at 7:54pm

"Also I am TOTALLY for all-gender categories. BUT...you cannot keep it at five nominees if you are going to combine genders AND combine Broadway with Off-Broadway. That's just insane. "

I am against all gender categories because my gut tells me that women will get screwed, hopefully I am wrong.

BCfitasafiddle
#38NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 10:22am

Thrilled for SLIH, Parade, J. Harrison Ghee, Alex Newell, Robert Horn, Groff and Lindsay. 

That being said: I'm baffled that Sean Hayes won in the Lead Performer in a Broadway Play category. Not that he's undeserving, but I'm just shocked it wasn't Jessica Chastain.

I think Revival of a Musical is going to be a category where we could see a different winner at every different ceremony. Into the Woods could take Drama League, Sweeney could take Drama Desk, and the Tony. But, I'm hopeful Parade pulls out more wins. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#39NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 11:27am

Worth noting as gender neutral categories are being talked about and put in place for some awards...

Of the 8 acting awards (not counting solo performance): there was 1 female winner, 2 nonbinary winners and 5 male winners. And of those nonbinary winners (Ghee and Newell), they are both competing in Actor for the Tonys. So only one person who would be in an actress category when not gender neutral won. Just food for thought...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#40NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 11:58am

I know Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible for a lot of the awards presented pre-Tony Awards, but it seems like Some Like It Hot is gaining momentum. They're doing a ton of press and promoting, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take home Best Musical... which is not something I thought I would predicted a month ago.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BCfitasafiddle
#41NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 11:59am

Mr. Wormwood said: "Worth noting as gender neutral categories are being talked about and put in place for some awards...

Of the 8 acting awards (not counting solo performance): there was 1 female winner, 2 nonbinary winners and 5 male winners. And of those nonbinary winners (Ghee and Newell), they are both competing in Actor for the Tonys. So only one person who would be in an actress category when not gender neutral won. Just food for thought...
"

Alex Newell spoke about this in a recent interview. These gender-neutral categories will result in fewer women winning at all. 

BdwyFan
#42NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 12:13pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I know Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible for a lot of the awards presented pre-Tony Awards, but it seems like Some Like It Hot is gaining momentum. They're doing a ton of press and promoting, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take home Best Musical... which is not something I thought I would predicted a month ago."

Yes, the winds are blowing. I sense this is the case too. Also it’s the League Conference in NYC this week with all the Road Presenters from all over the country.  

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#43NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 12:16pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "I'm baffled that Sean Hayes won in the Lead Performer in a Broadway Play category. Not that he's undeserving, but I'm just shocked it wasn't Jessica Chastain."

This is another reason why I personally don't think the Tonys should remove gender specific acting categories. If they were always genderless, just think of the winners we wouldn’t have gotten.

"I think Revival of a Musical is going to be a category where we could see a different winner at every different ceremony. Into the Woods could take Drama League, Sweeney could take Drama Desk, and the Tony. But, I'm hopeful Parade pulls out more wins."

I'm currently predicting Parade to win the Tony. Like Michael Arden's previous musical revival, Once on This Island, voters may feel that the show didn't get the recognition it deserved during its first go around, and give the revival their vote this time.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#44NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 12:24pm

BdwyFan said: "bwayphreak234 said: "I know Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible for a lot of the awards presented pre-Tony Awards, but it seems like Some Like It Hot is gaining momentum. They're doing a ton of press and promoting, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take home Best Musical... which is not something I thought I would predicted a month ago."

Yes, the winds are blowing. I sense this is the case too. Also it’s the League Conference in NYC this week with all the Road Presenters from all over the country.
"

If this was the early 2000s where voters opted for more feel good musical comedies based on movies such as The Producers, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Hairspray, and Spamalot, I'd say Some Like It Hot would be winning Best Musical. However, as we've seen a lot of the time within this past decade, the industry has been championing more experimental musicals over more commercial friendly fare. See Once winning over Newsies, Fun Home winning over An American in Paris, The Band's Visit winning over its whole competition, and A Strange Loop winning over MJ.

Updated On: 5/16/23 at 12:24 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#45NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 12:55pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "BdwyFan said: "bwayphreak234 said: "I know Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible for a lot of the awards presented pre-Tony Awards, but it seems like Some Like It Hot is gaining momentum. They're doing a ton of press and promoting, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take home Best Musical... which is not something I thought I would predicted a month ago."

"

If this was the early 2000s where voters opted for more feel good musical comedies based on movies such as The Producers, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Hairspray, and Spamalot, I'd say Some Like It Hot would be winning Best Musical. However, as we've seen a lot of the time within this past decade, the industry has been championing more experimental musicals over more commercial friendly fare. See Once winning over Newsies, Fun Home winning over An American in Paris, The Band's Visit winning over its whole competition, and A Strange Loop winning over MJ.

"

That may be true, but I wouldn’t underestimate a potential comeback of the road vote or more commercial shows winning again… the artisan shows that push the boundary of the form have also been doing so-so on the road or not going on the road at all. And that makes a difference in the shows tour presenters eventually need to program their seasons. Those artisan shows are important and win, which is great recognition, but presenters may also want one that can be both again. Hamilton is the exception, as usual. But we’re getting seasons with well-known revivals, Disney, the movie to musicals, etc.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#46NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 1:06pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "BdwyFan said: "bwayphreak234 said: "I know Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible for a lot of the awards presented pre-Tony Awards, but it seems like Some Like It Hot is gaining momentum. They're doing a ton of press and promoting, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it take home Best Musical... which is not something I thought I would predicted a month ago."

"

"

That may be true, but I wouldn’t underestimate a potential comeback of the road vote or more commercial shows winning again… the artisan shows that push the boundary of the form have also been doing so-so on the road or not going on the road at all. And that makes a difference in the shows tour presenters eventually need to program their seasons. Those artisan shows are important and win, which is great recognition, but presenters may also want one that can be both again. Hamilton is the exception, as usual. But we’re getting seasons with well-known revivals, Disney, the movie to musicals, etc.
"

Then again, for a while, it was believed that a majority of Tony voters were out-of-town producers who present national touring productions at their venues. Though several years ago, it was revealed that the road vote only makes up about 10% of the voting bloc.

BETTY22
#47NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 1:06pm

SOME LIKE IT HOT is picking up momentum. 

Updated On: 5/16/23 at 01:06 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#48NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 1:43pm

I'm sorry but I can't buy the "Some Like It Hot is gaining momentum" narrative when Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible. That's like saying in 2018 that SpongeBob was gaining momentum when it won over an ineligible A Band's Visit.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#49NEW YORK, NEW YORK; SOME LIKE IT HOT; & More Lead Nominations for Outer Critics Circle Awards
Posted: 5/16/23 at 2:31pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Then again, for a while, it was believed that a majority of Tony voters were out-of-town producers who present national touring productions at their venues. Though several years ago, it was revealed that the road vote only makes up about 10% of the voting bloc."

No one ever believed that a "majority" of Tony voters were road voters. This has never been the case. Years ago, these out-of-town presenters made up a little over 25% of the voting body. Not the majority, but still a sizeable enough group to sway outcomes. The total number of Tony voters has since expanded and diversified, and the road vote is now about 10% of the voting body.

No musical is winning or losing based solely on this group of people. Some Like it Hot has a few categories in the bag. Kimberly Akimbo has a few categories in the bag. They are both well liked and will put up a fight for Best Musical. But the OCC can't be used to judge the eventual Tony outcome since OCC voters are (mostly out-of-town) critics with VERY different tastes and motivations than Tony voters. And Kimberly Akimbo wasn't eligible here. 

Videos