News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC- Page 2

"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:07am

Also, the Sleep No More-style immersive shows of Punchdrunk or Third Rail or Emursive don’t use Equity contracts. Equity has no contracts for shows like those, which would basically require bespoke contracts for every production due to their demands (and become wildly cost prohibitive). 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#26"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 12:51pm

I think that if the original phantom stayed open, it would be back to making over a million dollars a week. Andrew Lloyd Webber himself said it could have easily stayed open the way it was.  Maybe not every week was profitable but year end they were still in the black.  I wish they held on longer and did a new campaign

jimmycurry01
#27"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 1:32pm

oknazevad said: "Scarywarhol said: "Wait what happened in London? The West End production getting stripped down from the Hal Prince original? This seems kind of apples and oranges to me, though of course claims of a show being "immersive" are more often than not comically exaggerated."

In 2020, the London production, like Les Miz the year before, was essentially replaced by the staging of the touring production.
"

Either you didn't see the recent touring production, or you haven't seen the London production. There were some changes (none for the better), but the Londond production did not switch to the touring production's staging.

The descending angel was replaced by an on stage statue, which resulted in some changes to the blocking and design of the proscenium. The chandelier was given a bigger redesign, and the lighting was switched to newer LED instruments; otherwise, things look mostly the same as they ever have. The big sin was cutting the size of the orchestra.

You can see how much, or little, was changed Here

jakethesnake
#28"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 1:53pm

Why does everyone assume this is the ALW/Cameron MacIntosh Phantom?   The show is in the public domain, like Gatsby.   Isn't it feasible that this is a totally new and different production?    One hint to me is that they are not using Cameron's usual casting director for this immersive production. 

Broadway Flash
#29"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 1:56pm

Some of the staging changed in New York too.  At the top of the title number,  The phantom and Christine didn’t go down under the stage anymore.  They replaced it with the ballet dancers coming on stage and looking at Raoul, they pass each other.  It was bewildering. 

Broadway Flash
#30"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 2:01pm

The show is not public domaine, the Gaston Leroux novel is 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#31"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 2:16pm

There are at least three or four Phantom of the Opera musicials, one of which is one of the most famous and successful musicals in the world. I can’t imagine anyone attempting to make another one. It must be the ALW version.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 2:24pm

Or, conversely: with the most famous adaptation off the board, it creates an opening for a smaller company to do their own version and capitalize on the name recognition.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 2:36pm

I still want to see the Yeston Phantom at Encores or something similar. I doubt this is the Yeston Phantom.

SeanD2
#34"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 3:01pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I still want to see the Yeston Phantom at Encores or something similar. I doubt this is the Yeston Phantom."

I've often said City Center should do something like the (missed by me) Off-Center series with shows that never played NYC. It would be the perfect place to highlight shows like the Yeston/Kopit Phantom as well as international shows that just wouldn't translate to the US for a full production. Obviously the current economic client doesn't make this feasible, but I'd love it.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#35"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 3:44pm

jakethesnake said: "Why does everyone assume this is the ALW/Cameron MacIntosh Phantom? The show is in the public domain, like Gatsby. Isn't it feasible that this is a totally new and different production? One hint to me is that they are not using Cameron's usual casting director for this immersive production."

Because, as has been mentioned, multiple actors from ALW’s Phantom were involved in the workshop of this new production. That isn’t concrete evidence but it strongly suggests that it’s not an entirely new show. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

AEA AGMA SM
#36"Untitled Immersive Musical Attraction" from POTO LLC
Posted: 6/20/24 at 4:28pm

Kad said: "Also, the Sleep No More-style immersive shows of Punchdrunk or Third Rail or Emursivedon’t use Equity contracts. Equity has no contracts for shows like those, which would basically require bespoke contracts for every production due to their demands (and become wildly cost prohibitive)."

Just to point out that Pip's Island was under a modified Equity TYA contract for at least the 2019 run in their custom-built space just off of Times Square (I don't know what contract, if any, it used for the original pop-up experience in 2016). So there is at least some precedence for immersive productions to be under Equity contracts.

Videos