Musical Theatre schools

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#25re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 8:54am

She definitely did not go to NYU CAP. Belting should take NO toll on the voice, but it requires that you have a teacher that knows how to listen to see if the change in tone is created by the requisite laryngeal manipulation, or if it's created by pushing the chest voice too high. The reason that you want someone with classical training is that every major program in the country where you're going to train voice teachers uses classical technique. If your teacher knows vocal pedagogy, then he/she is classically trained. I focus a lot more on musical theatre both when I take and when I give lessons b/c I like it more (although, I still think Puccini is God), but I am a classically trained singer. And don't just say, "Oh, this school is classical, it must be good" because it doesn't mean that it's good for you. The advantage of schools like NYU SoE is that you have so large a voice faculty (over 20 of whom are members of major opera companies), many of whom study with Dr. Robert White, who is the best in the country. This way, if you don't like your teacher, you can change. Make sure that any voice teacher that you want for women knows belting because you do need it. For men, there really isn't an issue b/c the technique is the same (make sure though that you have someone comfortable with Bway style). Also, look to see if your school will give you vocal coachings in addition to voice lessons, that can also be really helpful (although, most accompanists are adequite vocal coaches).

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#26re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 8:57am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Steinhardt School of Education's Musical Theater program seems more focused vocally than Tisch is. The Musical Theater program at Steinhardt is even a division of their Vocal Major program. Updated On: 7/19/04 at 08:57 AM

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#27re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 9:02am

Yup, CAP is more drama/dance oriented. I have yet to see any really great dancers out of SoE, but Bway today seems more interested in voice than dance, plus dance classes are a lot cheaper than voice lessons.

aspiringguy715
#28re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 9:04am

Ok thought so, it seemed more of a school for me because I'm very vocally focused above anything else. Thanks MusicPos2, you're definitely my #1 vocal information source!

Danny Profile Photo
Danny
#29re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 10:54am

I just graduated from CCM for musical theatre. I highly recommend this school. It's very HARD, but it's no joke. The alumni working from the program is quite impressive! There is also a showcase that most of the industry comes to see at the end of your senior year. Out of 17 students in my class ('04)about 9 of us are already working! So, CCM is doing something right!

skingdom
#30re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:11am

What kind of vocal training did you have at CCM?

Loved Jessica Boevers and Michelle Pawk in Night Music!

Danny Profile Photo
Danny
#31re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:24am

It was great training. You get a voice lesson for an hour each week with teachers from the opera department. Plus you get "speech" classes as well. You can also take other voice classes through the drama department as well!

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#32re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 2:08pm

Danny---It's good to hear that you are finding work so soon upon graudation! Best of luck with everything! I was accepted to CCM for Musical Theatre, but found that it was just not the right school for me.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#33re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 9:15pm

Yes...I can imagine that CCM might not be a good fit.

That is, if you want to have an identity as a performer and not be a cookie cutter performer.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Danny Profile Photo
Danny
#34re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 10:34pm

Take a look at the people who have graduated from CCM in the last 5 years! Name another school for musical theatre who has more working graduates on bway and national tours. Lauren Kennedy, Justin Bohon, Shoshana Bean, Randy Harrison, Faith Prince, Matt Bogart......not real cookie cutter to me!

thtrehead12 Profile Photo
thtrehead12
#35re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/19/04 at 11:50pm

i'll be attending ccm this fall for drama and i have to say that the school is pretty impressive. people may get the impression that musical theatre is cookie cutter, but i'd have to say they crunk out some pretty talented and professional students. the drama dept is definately different from the musical theatre program. they're two completely two worlds. anyway, ccm is a school that has to be right for you. if you're not ready to work HARD and cooperate with instructors, then don't even consider it.

my advice is to visit as many schools as you can. that's the only way you'll know. and don't be afraid to apply to reach schools. several friends of mine were accepted in NYU's tisch program for theatre, but simply could not afford it.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#36re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:29am

Danny, who are those people?

shesings
#37re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:37am

i hate to say it kids, but no matter how great the school you go to is, if you aint got it you aint got it! fabulous training is a plus, but so often in this business its something you just have. drive, determination, and passion being the most important. i truly think anyone can succeed in this if that is where there heart is. going to the best school in the world isn't a surfire road to stardom

Danny Profile Photo
Danny
#38re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:40am

I agree 100%! You either got it, or you don't! You can't teach talent! Not to mention the fact that there are MANY working actors who arn't very talented!!!

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#39re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:45am

Word up.
You just need careful consideration into what school is just simply "right" for you and only you. It doesn't matter who has graduated from what school and how successful they are.
More so...
A good hanful of Broadway's leading actors and actresses never went to college for their "BFA" in Musical Theatre, which just goes to show it's what you put in and your passion---not what a school could "do" for you.

thtrehead12
#40re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:46am

lauren kennedy-south pacific at royal national theatre in london, along with a handful of other shows around the u.s. origniated the role of kathy in "the last five years." AMAZING SHOW.

justin bohon-he's been on broadway's miss saigon, south pacific. and helloooo! will parker in oklahoma.

shoshana bean-did godspell off-broadway.

Randy Harrison-three words: queer as folk.

Faith Prince-has been on several original cast recordings of musicals.

not to mention jessica boevers who was once eponine in les mis...as well as shuler hensley.

look at the programs of the shows. ccm appears frequently. in fact, the understudy for elpheba in wicked is a ccm graduate.

thtrehead12
#41re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:55am

A good hanful of Broadway's leading actors and actresses never went to college for their "BFA" in Musical Theatre, which just goes to show it's what you put in and your passion---not what a school could "do" for you.

well, that's true. but casting directors and agents are looking for dedication and professionalism. that's where training comes in. passion alone can't always score the jobs.
Updated On: 7/20/04 at 12:55 AM

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#42re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 12:59am

Dedication and profesionalism are things you should hopefully already have. If a school has to teach you those things, then I think that's a very late start. Updated On: 7/20/04 at 12:59 AM

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#43re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:00am

Except, at CCM they let you know that by cutting you too.
Brutal!

thtrehead12
#44re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:03am

Dedication and proffesionalism are things you should hopefully already have. If a school has to teach you those things, then I think that's a very late start.

maybe so with dedication, but that is a muscle to flex. theatre is also a business. without professionalism, you're in line with hundreds of other hopefuls. professionalism is defiantely not something all performers know after graduating high school. college graduates definately have an upper hand in this industry. are you meaning to tell me that one can waltz into new york city with no professional training and expect a job?

thtrehead12
#45re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:09am

Except, at CCM they let you know that by cutting you too.
Brutal!

along with many other schools. and being cut requires one to have no progress in their classes and a D in a class.

if you are turned off by boards, then you have definately removed several prestigious theatre/musical theatre schools off of your list.

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#46re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:11am

Your last sentance doesn't even make sense.
What I'm saying is that you don't have to go to college and get a BFA in Musical Theatre to be successful and land jobs.
You can learn/experience dedication, "profesionalism", and work with your passion in other forms and mediums as opposed to your theatrical work alone.

aspiringguy715
#47re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:11am

I do believe Paul is already attending a prestigious Musical Theatre school.

And as for this fighting over "best schools" is it possible that there is no "best" school, but schools that fit each person? so some people may want to be, in your opinion, "cookie cut-outs"...you never know.

And I'm sure experiences with college/no college are different with each person as well.

take it as you will Updated On: 7/20/04 at 01:11 AM

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#48re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:16am

I, personally, just do not agree with a cut system.
I only applied to four institutions, CCM, CMU, BoCo, and U of M and was accepted into all four, so my list was not jeopardized =)
I personally feel that when an institution goes through the process of auditioning you and even moreso accepting you, that they see that "something there" in your performing that makes you unique and gives off that special quality about you as a performer and they think "Yes, I want that person in my department"
People and performers peak at different moments, and I think it unfair to judge a person's "progress" after a few months of having them in class and therefor say that they are not qualified anymore to attend the institution.
Yes, progress and growth are important to earning a successful degree, I agree completely. But giving time limits and expectations as to when they "have" to have progressed by, I just think is silly. Updated On: 7/20/04 at 01:16 AM

thtrehead12
#49re: Musical Theatre schools
Posted: 7/20/04 at 1:18am

Your last sentance doesn't even make sense.
What I'm saying is that you don't have to go to college and get a BFA in Musical Theatre to be successful and land jobs.
You can learn/experience dedication, "profesionalism", and work with your passion in other forms and mediums as opposed to your theatrical work alone.

as a matter of fact, my last sentence does make sense. boards refers to the board of a department reviewing students' performances, and that is determines whether a student is "cut" or not.

your sentence above is quite different from your statement earlier, so i would have to say i agree with you.

I do believe Paul is already attending a prestigious Musical Theatre school.

And as for this fighting over "best schools" is it possible that there is no "best" school, but schools that fit each person? so some people may want to be, in your opinion, cookie cut-outs...you never know

take it as you will

when was there ever a discussion about a "better" school? we were discussing whether one needed a college education in theatre or not.

you may be a little confused because ccm's musical theatre program is labeled as cookie cutter, so i'm not offended by your last statement.

Videos