Beast Transformation?

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#25re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:54pm

I THINK YOU'RE A DAMN DIRTY LIAR!!!

Just kidding sweetie, I was just curious. Into the Woods has always been one of my faves.

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

Ebonic_Singer
#26re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 6:06pm

Actually, the people in the show AND their families are under contract that they can't reveal the secret of his transformation.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#27re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 6:21pm

the actors, crew, and their family are under contract? haha interesting....
HAHA now i know the secret, and im not under contract, so I can say whatever i please. re: Beast Transformation? TAKE THAT disney on broadway. re: Beast Transformation?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#28re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 6:32pm

I read that the for DVD of Into the Woods, they filmed scenes separately from the live performance of Bernadette Peters in full make-up before the transformation, and that normally, during a live show, you couldn't see her face as well (because a double was used). Updated On: 9/18/04 at 06:32 PM

dancinfan
#29re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 11:24pm

Bially082, you speak as if you know, and yet there are two mistakes in your description. Always be careful about proclaiming your knowledge as the final word when you don't have all the information!

"It's Disney magic." AND it's an illusion that was designed especially for the show by some excellent illusionists. I think it's important to keep these things secret because stage magic should remain magical for the audience.

Sure, theatre types like to know how it's done, but could we at least post "spoiler alerts" in threads like these?

broadwayguy2
#30re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 11:51am

luv ya Batboy!

exactly Quibller. Look at the cape and hood... and yes, they filmed in front of an audience AND in an empty theatre.

Jon
#31re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 11:59am

Bernadette did the lines from offstage while the double mouthed them - thanks to the wonders of body mics, she could have been in another building and the audience wouldn't know!

Now, you want to know how Houdini's trick at the top of Act 2 in Ragtime was done?

broadwayguy2
#32re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 12:08pm

very good Jon!

let us in on Houdini's secret!

and as Nathan Lane said about Merline: The Magical Musical -- there were TGREE horses.. not TWO!

Jon
#33re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/18/04 at 3:18pm

Houdini climbs into the box, then immediately slips into a secret compartment in the stairway unit, which is wheeled offstage. The hands you see sticking out of the box are fake, and since he's wearing a body mic, you can't tell that he's really offstage, heading for the stage box where he reappears.

The trick was even better in Toronto. He reappeared at the very back of the orchestra level of the theatre, and walked down the aisle as he sang. They couldn't do this in New York, because there was no way to get from backstage to the lobby without walking out onto 43rd stret!

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#34re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 12:55am

If this really were the secret you can bet Disney would be on Rob and Craig about deleting this thread. So if it is gone in the morning you'll know why... Though I am not sure there is anything Disney can really do about it.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#35re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 1:08am

heres another disney secret- they paint shading onto the arms of all gastons

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#36re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:54pm

dancinfan: Really, I made two mistakes. What were they? How do you know? Have you played the role? PM me please.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

BWayBoy88
#37re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 5:15pm

I havent seen this show in a while so I might be remembering this wrong, but I remember a scene where Mrs Potts was holding a tray with Chips head on it. There was nothing under the tray to hold his body though. Does anyone know how that works?

ct402
#38re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 5:18pm

its just a mechanical thing at that point and the kid says their line off stage i believe? when i saw that scene the cup was kinda facing a little away from the audience i think so you wouldnt notice.

blah blah blah blah blah blah

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#39re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 5:20pm

OMG LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT TRANSITION ROCKS MY SOCKS IS LIKE THE ONE FROM LIKE THAT SHOW WHERE LIKE THAT GUY LIKE TURNS TO TIN.....
...im bitter.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#40re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:16pm

LOL

chips head is just a dummy on that tray

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#41re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:20pm

re: Beast Transformation?

this may sound really stupid, so is chips head really mechanical and the child actor is off stage? Because wouldnt that mean they would have to build a new head for every actor who plays chip? And when chip is in that box thingy, thats the real actor right?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 06:20 PM

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#42re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:41pm

yes, the real actor is in the box. When the head is on the try it is a dummy. It's not real even mechanical. And they don't need a new one for every different chip actor. You can't see it well enough from the audience for any of that to matter.

ct402
#43re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:49pm

i seem to remember it moving... i could be wrong.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#44re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:54pm

which production was it? Broadway, Toronto, Chicago, Tour?

Mythus
#45re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:54pm

The actor who plays Chip sits/kneels in the box-like contraption that is the tea cart, with his head sticking out the hole. They use mirrors to make it look like there's nothing underneath. At least, that's what I remember.

ct402
#46re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:58pm

i saw it on broadway, but it was a while ago, so i could just not be rememberin it right... i was pretty sure his head turned a little and mouth moved even when it was on the tray and not the cart...

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#47re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:59pm

The beast turn into a prince at the end of the show?

Now you've ruined it for me!

Why is this show still on Broadaway - isn't time to make way for something new?

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#48re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:59pm

ok yeah, in the cart he's behind a 45 degree slanted mirror. On the tray he doesn't move, because he's not real anymore, by that point in the show he has further transformed into latex.

Updated On: 9/21/04 at 06:59 PM

dancinfan
#49re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:20pm

Hi, Bially. I've been with the show for more than ten years, seen how it's done, taught people how to do it, and even done it myself once. The transformation, the three different Chip illusions, and the Rose magic are all secrets I've never told to anyone during my affiliation with the show, and that's not going to change.

Keep enjoying the show and keep me employed.

Videos