Beast Transformation?

BJC899
#0Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:32pm

I've seen Beauty and the Beast 6 times on Broadway and I still don't know how he transforms from the beast to the prince. We were talking to the nicest lady who played bell one time and she said it's a "secret"

Does anyone know?

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#1re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:38pm

I think it's a different person at the end. I don't remember why/how I know this, but I remember feeling sorry for the guy who plays the Beast because I think that means he doesn't get a curtain call.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#2re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:42pm

I believe that when Belle and the Beast run outside to fight Gaston, it is a different actor playing the Beast on the rooftop, while the actual Beast is backstage changing into his prince attire. Then, when the Beast gets injured and returns inside, the real actor replaces the stand-in wearing only a mask. And then the transformation takes place and the actor is revealed.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#3re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:46pm

I think I figured it out the first time I saw it (but only because his voice sounds recorded during the last bit of the fight on the bridge)...there's a point during the fight where the actor playing the beast goes through a door out onto the bridge and from then on, the double plays the beast in the fight and then when you see him float into the air, that's actually the real beast with a mask and gloves that can be easily removed.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

BJC899
#4re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:46pm

Hmm. I wonder why the have him up in the air so long if he just has to take off a mask.

Thanks for your answers!

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#5re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:47pm

Because it's Disney magic!!

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#6re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:49pm

...and the secret is spoiled...

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#7re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:53pm

you didn't HAVE to read the thread, ya know...LOL....

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#8re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:58pm

you already told me in the privacy of our own home... but now EVERYONE is going to know his secret... EVERYONE...

BJC899
#9re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:58pm

now I'm wondering why I never thought of a body double at some point. They've used body doubles in ITW (revival) and Phantom.

broadwayguy2
#10re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:42pm

the original into the woods used a doble as well.

yes, it IS a double in the fight.

as far as the OTHER beast transformation, Christy Romano takes her curtain call, then goes into her dressing room then walks out of the stage door never to return.

Jess1483
#11re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:46pm

My community theater is one of the first to get to do the show, and they just cast it. It is two different people, and I believe they said it is on Broadway as well.

Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!

broadwayguy2
#12re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:51pm

the Prince and beast are played by the same actor.

the YOUNG Prince, in the prologue, is a seperate actor, and the beast during the fight is a seperate actor. The actual Prince at the end is the same actor as the beast!!!

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#13re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:57pm

This is the final word. The actor playing the Beast goes off just before the castle is stormed to have his makeup removed. While that scene is happening the actor playing the beast is having his makeup removed. The Beast during the fight is a double in a mask. The double also says the , "It doesn't matter now, let them come line." But it's recorded. The actor playing the beast puts on a mask with an open bask and very simple light gloves with a sort of cape wraped around the Prince outfit. He takes his position on the castle platfrom while it's back is facing the audience during the Gaston fight. When the beast stumbles in after the fight and the sets turns around thats where they switch back to the original actors. Then he's raised up on the lift and while in the dark has to quickly remove the mask and gloves and cape and whip them as hard as possible over the back of the castle wall.

So the same actor that played the beast also plays the prince. It is not double cast.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#14re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:58pm

jess1483- which theatre are you in the show at?

Jess1483
#15re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:01pm

jess1483- which theatre are you in the show at?

I'm actually not in it, I'm at school in Vermont right now, but I work at the theater during the summer. It's in Missoula, Montana (random, isn't it?)

Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!

BwayTheatre11
#16re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:03pm

Wow. This was very interesting to read. Thank you.

CCM '10!

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#17re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:16pm

Your welcome, but I broke one of the rules in my contract to tell you. Oh well.

broadwayguy2
#18re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:31pm

LOL. poor bially.

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#19re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:35pm

BG2's first message just made me laugh so hard it was embarassing.

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

broadwayguy2
#20re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:36pm

**BG2 grins**

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#21re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:41pm

Broadwayguy darling...what double was used in the original Into the Woods? One for Bernadette's witch transformation? I thought it was just a mask and cloak she whipped off.

Explain darling

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

broadwayguy2
#22re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:43pm

bernadette has said that in the original version, the setpmother doubled as the witch while she was offstage changing. stepmother/witch double walks behind a treee, Bernadette walks out the other said, and then smoke surrounded her, and she whipped off the cloak.

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#23re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:45pm

But bernadette delivers lines during that whole sequence...and a lot of them too...how is it a double?

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

broadwayguy2
#24re: Beast Transformation?
Posted: 9/17/04 at 5:48pm

I think she says them while she is offstage. **shrug** I just remember reading that in an interview she did... unless the double was in the scene before and she did THAT scene with mask and cloak.... but I know she had a double. Updated On: 9/17/04 at 05:48 PM

Videos