pixeltracker

Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway- Page 2

Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:26pm

Maybe, I was a little wrong. Though, there have been much worse words posted here than "asshole".

The only think that pisses me off is. Brooke barely gets any credit from the real "Broadway freaks". She shocked and impressed many people with her performance, and why can't some just be happy with that, for once? I just feel because she is a star outside of Broadway, the true Theater geeks just don't want to give her a chance. It looks though their opinion doesn't really matter much, since she is going to be on Broadway much more in the future!

BSoBW2
#26re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:30pm

ljay - I think it's the fact that they RE-recorded the Cast album for her......

OOO, i love JLT - let's rerecord Wicked...or w/e....it is ridiculous to record an album for one person - there's something special about the OBC....

Anyway, I try to go into a show with an open mind....

Also, Brooke Shields sounds way too full of herself

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:33pm

WHAT? Full of herself. That is an absurd comment. She is so down to earth and sweet. Did you see all the comments the cast made about her? They adore her. She is also a real SWEETHEART at the stage door. SOOO nice. She is everything but full of herself.

BSoBW2
#28re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:34pm

Did you see her on Conan?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:36pm

No. But I saw her on The View, she was extremely sweet. The ladies were praising her for being so kind to come out after every performance and sign for all the fans.

She doesn't ditch the fans like ummm IDINA MENZEL. And Brooke is an even bigger star than Idina.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#30re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:02pm

How tall is she?

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

pab Profile Photo
pab
#31re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:08pm

I praised Brooke's performance, from "Wonderful Town", at the thanksgiving parade as one of the better performances that day. She did a credible job. She was better than I expected her to be.

My problem, which I will state here yet again, is that to call her "the biggest star on Bway" insults the real stars on Broadway. I place Ms. Shields in the same category as John Stamos.

I can't, for the life of me, talk about her in the same breath as Idina Menzel, et al. She might be a much nicer person but nice has nothing to do with talent. She might have also saved "Wonderful Town" as other television stars have done for other Broadway shows from time to time.

My problem with this whole thread is that because "WT" ran a few more months and people came because they wanted to see Ms. Shields in no way makes her "the biggest star on Bway".

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

javero Profile Photo
javero
#32re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:11pm

Anyone over 35 years of age in this forum can attest to the fact that at a point in relatively recent history, Brooke Shields was one of the most instantly recognizable celebrities on planet earth. She shared that billing with the likes of the creepy one himself Michael Jackson a stretch before the advent of "the supermodels", the Sandra Bullock's/Halle Berry's/Naomi Ryder's/Madonna's/Brittney's, Brad & Jen, Ben & Jen, etc. I also think it safe to write here that her celebrity overshadowed the tennis prowess and personality of her ex-husband Andre Agassi, a man well-heeled and easily recognizable in his own right. Finally, Brooke nearly single-handedly ushered in the fashion craze of designer jeans when she signed on to become the muse (or azz) of designer Calvin Klein. Those of you who diss her may be theatrical savvants, but you are not students of history or pop culture by all appearances. In short, Brooke's star appeal transends the Great White Way. She is a star of mythic proportions.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 1/30/05 at 03:11 PM

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#33re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:16pm

A theory which nobody argued. She may have ushered in designer jeans but she is not the biggest star on that apparently easily transcended Great White Way.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
Updated On: 1/30/05 at 03:16 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#34re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:18pm

Oh boy. Here we go again. No one is dissing her as "one of the most instantly recognizable celebrities on planet earth". Or that she might be, as you put it, "a star of mythic proportions". That is not the point of this thread, which you have obviously stumbled on without reading all the way through. Celebrity and talent are two different things. And even though I admit that she has some talent, it's just not talent that should be compared to real Broadway stars of today.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 1/30/05 at 03:18 PM

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#35re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:19pm

I grant her that fame, yes, but we must also remember that this mythic proportioned fame was during the 80's.

This is 2005.

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#36re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:36pm

she is a legend....an icon...and she surprised everyone who thought she is just a pretty face....doing a great show....her show closes today....and i just wanted to say im thankful for a great show....she and the whole cast was amazing...and when it comes to stars....i love idina menzel...she is awesome.....but talk about her outside of bway and no one knows who she is.....unfortunatly...becuz many people arent into bway...and that sux!!! but i am originally from south america...and i've always known who Brooke is....she was a big star...since i was born everyone talked about her...she was "the face of the 80's" and i was born in 1980...so i think she is one of the most famous people on earth...and she is the biggest star on bway...the best singer? no....but i dont think idina is the best singer either....she is amazing...but not the best....probably the best singer on bway is not famous and in my point of view ....of the ones i know...i would say jennifer hope wills....or maybe tamyra gray-not on bway right now- or kelli ohara.Im talking about how big a star is...and ask anyone...who Brooke Shields is....and anyone knows who she is.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BSoBW2
#37re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:38pm

Yeah, but Brooke doesn't have death threats and a thousand screaming fan(')s throwing posters in her face....does she?

javero Profile Photo
javero
#38re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:44pm

Granted she might have peaked in the celebrity sweepstakes, but she's still a highly effective pitcher that pushes product. I imagine that this year as she reaches the major milestone for many woman, 40, she will be tapped by some top-tier makeup manufacturer to introduce a new line of "Forty and Fierce" cosmetics. She has legions of female fans over 35 that idolized her growing up and countless men like me that think that she still is one of the most beautiful women on this planet. We all here are keenly aware of the demographic profile of the typical Broadway goer. Brooke is entering the 3rd stage of her prolific show business career. Show business entails more than Broadway, not meaning to patronize anyone. It's that as a person of Brooke's age, I become a little edgy whenever anyone discounts my 35+ yr old gods & goddesses. I'm seriously flawed in that respect.

Updated On: 1/30/05 at 03:44 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#39re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:52pm

javero, I just think that you are having a different discussion than the rest of us.

muscle23ftl, maybe if you had called this thread "most recognizable person/actress on Broadway" this whole discussion might have been mute. I think that Broadway and Star in the same sentence means something different to most of the people on this board.

muscle23ftl
#40re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:59pm

"Yeah, but Brooke doesn't have death threats and a thousand screaming fan(')s throwing posters in her face....does she?"
whoever says this....u know what ? its true.....Brooke has a big following...but im not talking about this...as an actor i am....even tho i dont act becuz i want to be in the production......besides i can't sing...LOL----i would love to be in a hit such as "wicked" and be successful....do i want to have a bunch of little girls screaming outside of the gershwin theatre? NO WAY!!! i think its kinda mediocre...and i'd rather have 2 or 3 people who have a really good idea and message about the show telling me how much they enjoyed the show.i loved "wicked" but when i left i felt like i just left a concert of NSYNC more than a bway show,ugh.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#41re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:05pm

Can I give you some friendly advice?

A. Look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary.
B. Use capital letters & puncuation. They're your friends.

BSoBW2
#42re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:07pm

muscle,
I have no idea what that gibberish you just spat out at the computer means, but my comment was referring to ljay who said, "She [Shields] doesn't ditch the fans like ummm IDINA MENZEL. And Brooke is an even bigger star than Idina."

muscle23ftl
#43re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:07pm

i save that for school....here i write the way i want u...and if u have a problem...why do u read it?

BSoBW2
#44re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:09pm

muscle,

no one is reading much of what you say because it doesn't make any DAMN sense....

And you save spelling, punctuation, grammar for school?

Well, there goes the future of this country....

muscle23ftl
#45re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:12pm

ok...anyone else wants to attack me? go ahead...feel free to do so

javero Profile Photo
javero
#46re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:14pm

Yeah, I think you're onto something. I just may be slightly out of orbit. It's that I personally equate the term "star" with "celebrity" and the phrase "triple threat" registers in my mind in the somewhat broader context of stage, film, and TV though I'm aware of the normal usage. Many ole timers like myself are a little peeved over certain pop singers claiming one-name celebrity (or principal of a boy/girl group) after scoring a platinum record and nabbing a best video award, e.g. Britney Spears, Usher Raymond IV, etc. These same self-proclaimed hardest working persons in "show business" are suddenly labeled "triple threats" in the traditional connotation by their PR machines, mass media picks up from there, and they along with their attendant egos and entourages land on Broadway with top-billing.

Didn't mean to be verbose. It's just many outside the context of Broadway don't apply the term "star" loosely. Please don't everyone flame me for what I write next. There are certain "stars" that have been afiliated with a certain Broadway show whose title begins with the letter "W", that have garnered megathreads devoted to their every earthly pursuit, including their last bowel movements, who are virtual unknowns outside the readership of playbill.com. Their stars pale in comparison still to that of Miss Shields in 2005.

Updated On: 1/30/05 at 04:14 PM

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#47re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:18pm

Listen, I'm not out to attack you or anything. But I must admit it is hard to read what you *write, and if you want people to take your posts seriously, you have got to try paying more attention to how you post.

This also applies to your original statement, which brought on this entire discussion - if you had worded it differently, like saying you wish her luck and thank her contribution to the show since it's closing, I don't think people would have gotten so worked up about it.

Just my two cents.

*Corrected :)

Updated On: 1/30/05 at 04:18 PM

BSoBW2
#48re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:19pm

bwaylover

right = correct or direction
write = put something down

Sorry, lol...

muscle23ftl
#49re: Brooke Shields...the biggest star on Bway
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:19pm

Ok....no prob....i'll do my best to be more understandable....=)

Videos