pixeltracker

When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in this country.- Page 2

When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in this country.

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#25re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:54am

What's the problem? Mamma Mia is a show for the gazillion tourists, while Avenue Q has a slightly more direct audience. I like Q more but who cares?

There's nothing wrong with our country, a lot of people prefer ABBA and cheap jokes (however lame they may be) to puppets and 'political incorrectness'.

I think Ragtime is better than O Calcutta! but so what?
There's a reason these shows run for so long.
A whole ton of people out there like CATS, even if they don't want to admit it.

I think that Mamma Mia is terrible, yet somehow I've seen it 3 times...

WhiteRabbit Profile Photo
WhiteRabbit
#26re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 11:57am

I like ABBA but am not impressed with Mamma Mia. I will admit it sounds way better live than on the cast recording, but it just never impressed me. None of the jukebox musicals have. I will admit that Mamma Mia is the best of the jukebox musicals though.

I most definitely have issues with my word choices on this board.

#27re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:06pm

Is this surprising? If you think that Broadway theater
audiences are sophisticated.....chat with the rubes in the TKTS line. Its Faustian isn't it? We sold our soul to Disney to save Broadway. We are now doomed to "Mamma Mia meets The Lion King in Brooklyn who can't pay Thoroughly Modern Millie to save Beauty and the Beast in spite of The Boy from OZ." Shows like "Avenue Q" and "Urinetown" are clever Off-Broadway pieces that moved to Broadway to feed the declining minority of theatergoers who want something of substance rather than the plastic screaming drivel. Is that a revival of "Zeussical"
I see in the distance?

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#28re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:17pm

cturtle sings like a man from la mancha: "to each his mama mia ..."

RIP glebby <3

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#29re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:18pm

maybe we did sell our souls to disney to save Broadway- but if Broadway was so good before Disney, why did it need saving? The fact is, musical theatre needs Disney and Mamma Mia and all that crap to keep it alive. Just like we need to earn money to buy food to stay alive. Get over it people. Disney has brought more people into theatres for the first time in their lives than anyone in history.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#30re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:22pm

Totally agreed. Disney, good or bad, cleaned up Times Square....and for that they should be thanked.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#31re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 6:11pm

Yes - but the thing is, all of Disney's shows were GOOD, at least. re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CrAzIaBoUtReNt
#32re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:27pm

I didn't know RENT wasn't as popular as a lot of the other shows. I was suprised it was only 73.9%. It was right down there with Movin Out. What ever happened to Movin Out anyway?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 7:42pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with Mamma Mia at all. Love the music, the story is cute and fun, the show is a great night out. Not sure what so many people have against it. I took my dad to see the show (his two favorites are Les Mis ad Falsettos) and he loved it. He loves telling all his friends the plot to the show because he found it quite clever. He's not a musical theatre fanatic or snob (though he and my mom recently watch the entire Broadway: The American Musical series twice), but he definitely knows what he likes and what he thinks works well (he definitely didn't think much of All Shook Up). Considering he's closer to the average theatre-goer, but certainly not of tourist mentality, I thought that was a pretty good indication that the show did its job and did it well.

I'm sure nobody wanted or needed to know that, but there you are.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#34re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:26pm

Ok. I am going to admit something.
I love Mamma Mia. The story is lame but it is fun.
I only went once, but i had a great time.
Lol.
But you can't compare it to Q. You just can't. Q is in a class above the rest. That is just my opinion. I love Q. There is only one show i like more and that is FB.

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#35re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/16/05 at 3:43pm

I actually think Mamma Mia(!) is not far off from being a really solid show (don't get me wrong, it's got huge gaping holes as it stands now).

I think if they cut two numbers, cut some of the verses (NOT every song needs to be the entire thing! --see 'knowing me knowing you'), and re-wrote the book it could be a really fabulous show. They really need to make the role of Sky not so unbelievably lame. That one scene where he "breaks down" is a joke.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#36re: When MAMMA MIA fills more seats than AVENUE Q - something is wrong in t
Posted: 2/16/05 at 3:46pm

But then he's stripped by 10 or so half naked men - so all is fine by me.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos