RENT RIGHTS.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#25re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:37pm

"RENT on Broadway is doing slim business"

Rent's audience the week of March 21-27 was at 97.9%.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 3/29/05 at 03:37 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#26re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:41pm

"The University of North Carolina - Greensboro (UNCG) is doing it. I have a friend who goes to the school. Her theatre professor said it'll be their musical. This was two weeks ago."

Maybe they WILL be doing it when it becomes available and they have some inside track on when that will be, but based on their own theatre schedule, as for now, it's not listed.

UNCG Theatre Schedule

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 3/29/05 at 03:41 PM

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#27re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 4:44pm

So to solve this question/dillemma, I went ahead and emailed MTI...Here's the response they sent back (within 3 hours, I might add!)
Greetings Jamie:

Thank you for your email.

Yes, MTI represents both TTB & RENT.

We've announced TTB (along with URINETOWN) and are manufacturing materials for productions that will begin to open this summer.

RENT, however, is at a standstill. We haven't announced acquisition on the website (although it's not a secret) because (1) our Marketing Department is deluged with Disney in addition development of Ragtime School Edition, a new TYA Collection and three new websites and (2) the show will not be available to produce in North America until the Broadway (and touring) production closes. If the film release in the Fall does anything for RENT like the film of CHICAGO did for that Broadway production, the Nederlander will have a very long-term tenant.

We have begun to license foreign productions of RENT. I assume we will probably wait to officially announce acquisition to coincide with another event (maybe something like the upcoming anniversary?).

Regards,

Michael McDonough
Music Theatre International

Hope this clears some stuff up:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#28re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 5:02pm

In other words, UNCG watch your asses because if you are planning to do a production of RENT anytime soon it would be an illegal one.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#29re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 5:05pm

"RENT doing slim business"?? HA! that made me giggle re: RENT RIGHTS. Well, that e-mail was very insightful! This movie is destined to be suc ha big hit..I hope!!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#30re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 5:33pm

this thread should teach some people on this board a lesson. please back your sh!t up before posting.

thank you pab for backing your sh!t up...you rock!

Joshua488
#31re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 5:39pm

"Slim business"?? Someone should check the ticket sales before they judge how well a show is doing...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#32re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 10:14pm

So I just called my friend, and she said her director was told it'll be available this year. She'll ask him tomorrow what's going on.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

erinrebecca
#33re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:27am

This should be a lesson, capn, not to believe everything friends say. And not only that, but also not to post on a Broadway message board about it. You can bet that when the amateur rights DO become available, a school like UNC isn't going to be the first one awarded them.

joniray
#34re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/30/05 at 9:06am

Che2be, you said "I also believe that the producers agreed to do the movie (in my opinion) to try to boost the show's sales.."

Actually, the movie deal was done before the show even opened on Broadway. But part of the contract was that the film couldn't be released until the show had played on Broadway for five years. The rest of the time has been the typical Hollywood hemming-and-hawing as to whether to actually make the movie or not, so that didn't have anything to do with any choice the Broadway producers made.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#35re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/30/05 at 10:07am

erinrebecca,

True, I didn't hear this from am official source, however, several different people had informed me it was definite for their upcoming season (SETC Theatre Conference, which was held in Greensboro, NC this year).

Still, it seems I WAS correct. MTI, however, has chosen to not release the rights yet, even though they were going to for 2006.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#36re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/30/05 at 10:16am

My high school did like 3 shows illegally...it's done all the time....but i wouldn't recommend it!

My college is doing Urinetown! yay..they should do TTB next!

sorry off topic!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#37re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/30/05 at 11:03am

Ok- I forget that with this forumn I have to get everything so specific as to NOT create backlash...

Let's face it.. RENT has not been doing as well in the past years as it was when it opened... ( the high sales for last week, I think account to a lot of students being on SPRING BREAK) So- yes. I still agree that RENT, is still not doing as well as it used to.

About the producers- I am sure they didn't release their option to produce the film if they didn't think it would be beneficial to them. Money talks on Broadway- now adays.

Robert

joniray
#38re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:34pm

Well of course the producers optioned the musical because it was beneficial for them. My point was that the musical was optioned as a film before it opened and had become a big hit on Broadway, not when ticket sales started to slow down.

As far as the gross over the past year, and I'm not addressing Che2be specifically here, but more to recent comments in general, the show has been making a profit most weeks. Honestly, I think it will have to start consistently loosing money week after week before they close the show since one of the producers of the show is the Nederlanders and it would be difficult for them to find another show that would work in that theatre, let alone make any money in it. It might be better for them to have a show in there that is at least paying the bills, then paying property taxes and maintenance costs on an empty theatre.

Videos