RENT RIGHTS.

yarn769fink034
#0RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:05pm

A friend who doesn't live close by said they he got a book from MTI and in it it said that the rights for RENT would be available at the end of this year.Does anyone know if this is true?

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#1re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:13pm

with the movie coming out at the end of the year? Highly doubtful....

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:23pm

I can confirm this is true.

I know of a university who is doing the first regional production for their next season.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Fosse76
#3re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:46am

Well, a quick look at the MTI website doesn't show that they even license the show, let alone have them available.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:48am

The rights are available, I'm pretty sure. And since the screenplay will be different from the libretto, I'm not sure the film will have any bearing on the musical rights, unless they can be withdrawn from public availability when the movie is released.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 9:26am

I am unsure if RENT is MTI or not. I will find out.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#6re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 9:37am

CapnHook, how is that possible? I don't think the rights will be out until after the show closes. This is very perplexing...

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 9:53am

Rights can sometimes be released before a show closes. For example, the rights to the Disney shows are out. They may just be more expensive to get or something, but they are available.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

erinrebecca
#8re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:06pm

I doubt very much that any university will be doing Rent anytime in the near future. The rights are being held until after the movie is released, and even then, apparently they won't be released for amateur productions for some time.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#9re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:09pm

For another example of rights that were released while a show was still running is Les Miz, they put out a High School production that started to be performed while Les Miz was still running on Broadway.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#10re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:10pm

I have a hard time believing this is true, but I've been wrong before so...

PerhapsACreamPuff Profile Photo
PerhapsACreamPuff
#11re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:11pm

Just because some school wants to do it next season doesn't mean it's going to happn CapnHook, chances are the musical director there heard this rumor and promised something he won't be able to follow through on.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Hilda, Hilda, wake up! I've invented a maneuver.

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#12re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 12:59pm

well it really depends on the reputation of the college...If they have ties with rent people then they may be able to.

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#13re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 1:06pm

they could have them avaliable although restricted at the end of the year...it depends....if that makes any sense

Lindy2
#14re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 2:31pm

Our school put on Les Miserables (high school edition) two years ago while it was still on Broadway. This year, we're the first high school in Florida to put on Disney's BaTB and that's still on.

UsherMJD
#15re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 2:43pm

The rights for Beauty and the Beast have been available for about a year or so now. . . and amature productions are being done. It wouldn't suprise me if, in anticipation of the movie, they released the rights in order to boost the show's popularity nation-wide. After the movie people across the country would then not have to go to NYC to see a production of the show.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#16re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 2:44pm

Yeah, a group near me has been claiming they've gotten the rights for years...and the Les Mis school edition was made purely so other groups could do it, so it really doesn't count.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#17re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 2:50pm

Rent is now available outside the US through Hal Leonard -- despite rumors to the contrary, American amateur rights have not yet been released.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 2:55pm

The University of North Carolina - Greensboro (UNCG) is doing it. I have a friend who goes to the school. Her theatre professor said it'll be their musical. This was two weeks ago.

--Aristotle

Fosse76
#19re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:07pm

As far as I know, Hal Leonard doesn't license shows. They have sheet music to shows, but not performance rights. While I wouldn't be surprised if the rights were released prior to its closing on Broadway, I don't think they are at this time. None of the licensing houses referred to in this thread have RENT listed as being available or restricted.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#20re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:11pm

It's very easy to do a search.
Link

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#21re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:15pm

God, I love people who are able to back up what they say. It's such a rare thing these days...

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#22re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:32pm

Updated On: 3/29/05 at 03:32 PM

Che2be Profile Photo
Che2be
#23re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:33pm

RENT on Broadway is doing slim business, I doubt they want to compete with amatuer productions. I also believe that the producers agreed to do the movie (in my opinion) to try to boost the show's sales.. cause there are always those people that go see a musical movie- love it- and then go to see where it originated...

That being said. Maybe this University is doing this show ILEGALLY. I don't know how reputable this University is- and we all know that the COMPLETE SCORE to this show has been making its rounds...so It wouldn't be very hard for someone to put up the whole show....

ROBERT

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#24re: RENT RIGHTS.
Posted: 3/29/05 at 3:35pm

pab rocks.

And I somehow can't imagine that an illegal production of Rent, done at a college level, wouldn't come to the attention of the licensing houses...

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Videos