pixeltracker

Actors' size, weight, etc.- Page 2

Actors' size, weight, etc.

The Grovers Corners Yenta
#25re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 4:42pm

I have always been heavy and have played roles where I was the " older" woman type. I doubt that I will ever play Peter in Peter Pan. But the roles I have had are Vera Charles in Mame, Aunt Eller in Oklahoma, Yente in Fiddler On The Roof. In fact, when I was a kindergarten I played an old women who churned butter in a boot! I guess I have always played larger older women. The igenue role is not for me.

"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.

bwaybaby891
#26re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 4:52pm

I have a theory. Average size people and larger people are being used because you can't see ultra-skinny waifs from the audience.

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

The Grovers Corners Yenta
#27re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 5:01pm

So there is a future for me?

"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#28re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 5:59pm

I'm short and chubby so I love seeing these people on stage!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#29re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 6:43pm

Yes I really love this trend. I have nothing against super skinny people but its nice to see that those (like me) who are more average are getting chances too. I'm 5ft 4, 16 and just allover petite but I'm not rail thin. Definitly agree on the love of seeing so many short leading ladies! Go Kristin, Kerry etc! :-P

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#30re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 9:11pm

For me it's hard because I'm short/adverage hight and big-boned. No kidding big-boned tripple threat. I get peer preasure from others a lot and I know that as long as I feel good, I think I'm fine. I have lost a lot of weight over the years though. You look at me three years ago and you might not recognise me. (some ppl don't recognise me!) But it's still a struggle sometimes to be "perfect" But I'll always wish I were taller!!!!!!!!! But short people do rock! yeah!

But I'm so glad to see "adverage" people out there onstage and winning awards and stuff like that! Yeah! Real women have curves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm off my soap box!

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#31re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 9:14pm

heh yeah I just got out of the "damn I want to be tall!" phase and am finally embracing my short stature. :-P

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#32re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 10:00pm

"what actresses are larger on broadway?"

Sherie Rene Scott from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is average sized - and she's fabulous! Sara is fairly average sized also around the middle and such, but a lot of people think she is larger because she is extremely "busty."

mizzie

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#33re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 10:38pm

Then why are there still times when they have actresses playing Tracy in Hairspray in a "fat suit"? Can't they find a qualified "larger" actress? In this case, it's important that the character be a "big girl"...so why not cast that way?

ForTheLoveOfLea Profile Photo
ForTheLoveOfLea
#34re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 11:04pm

I'm 5'6" and average built all around. I kinda have a boyish figure though. Very muscley and not much in the way of a waist. I would love to be super tall, but I guess that would have its effects too. I would never be able to find a tall enough leading man even though I don't look like the typical ingenue.Its good to see there is hope for those who can never be a fragile looking waif.

It seems the trend in hollywood is most actresses seem to be around 5'7" and actors around 6'. Thank god there is a place for people with talent to be any size and still be able to get roles. To have all of them be 115 pounds and 5'7" is so rediculous. Go Kate Winslet and Catherine Zeta-Jones for having healthy bodies as well as hollywood success.

Thou giveth fever.

XOsweet_dancerOX Profile Photo
XOsweet_dancerOX
#35re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 11:12pm

i totally agree, It is great seeing normal size people!

Kristin Chenoweth could barely control a Great Dane she trotted onto the stage. "Great, they gave me a dog that weighs five times what I do", she quipped. For the record, she weighs 93 pounds, and has a Maltese.

citylights
#36re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/2/05 at 11:15pm

It seems as if Broadway actors tend to be somewhat short. I'm 5'8" and when I go to stage doors, I'm almost always taller than all the female cast members. I've been looking around to try and figure out who is tall(ish) and so far all I've come up with is Sutton Foster (who I believe is 5'9"?). At Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on Sunday I noticed that all the chorus girls were pretty much on the tall side...is that what I should be aiming for now? :-P

BWayBoy88
#37re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 1:10am

One of my favorite parts of Spamalot was how Sara Ramirez had curves, but was still stunning.

On a side note-there are quite a few Hollwood stars who are fairly short. Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman I know are both reasonably short and have had wildly successful careers

NYAgent
#38re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 6:55am

I think the reason some of the Tracy's in Hairspray are padded is probably due to economics. They used to have a stand-by, but sometimes the ensemble Understudies have to go on. The ensemble girls are smaller sized. It has to work that way or Tracy would not have to struggle with everyone telling her she cant do it because she is different.

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#39re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 9:54am

i remember during kathy brier's run in HAIRSPRAY she was so busy with the soap and the show that she lost about 12 lbs and she was actually smaller that the woman playing amber von tussle and the producers told her to gain her weight back. she really isn't that big to begin with. built more like a fireplug.
stunning "inspite" of her curves? i think sara is a bombshell. sex on a stick. i used to think lindsay lohan was hot--but she looks scarey now. curves are it!

Mind is Mantra.

greatdct
#40re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 10:03am

Megan Hilty is an example of a lead with a "healthy" figure. Although, she has lost a lot of weight in the last few months. She has a very curvy and busty figure and still looks absolutely gorgeous in the tiny Glinda costumes.

bwayondabrain
#41re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 10:04am

so, then, it doesnt matter if you're tall, and dorky, if you have lots of talent?
YES!!!

:)

bwayondabrain
#42re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 10:04am

so, then, it doesnt matter if you're tall, and dorky, if you have lots of talent?
YES!!!

:)

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#43re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 3:33pm

neither of the women you mentioned are "overweight" even slightly--they are simply--not emaciated. toni collette is only big in Muriel's Wedding . she is quite slim otherwise.

Mind is Mantra.

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#44re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 4:59pm

Power to the short people!!!!

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Starchild Profile Photo
Starchild
#45re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 5:38pm

Yeah, I agree that most of the women mentioned in this post are FAR from overweight, they're just not TWIGS. Liv Tyler comes to mind as well, but she's like 5'9" and a size 12 to 14, which is definitely closer to normal. Then again, she has an AMAZING face. The only "woman of size" mentioned is Marisa Winokour. It is depressing how much this culture disrespects overweight people, especially women, and how they're typically portrayed. There's some ad campaign by Dove (i think) going on right now praising "real woman" (which is fine) BUT all those women are completely normal, NOT fat at all. *heavy sigh* Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12 to 14, that was "normal" back then. Look at Kathleen Turner, a few years ago on Friends she was playing a man-to-woman transgender person b/c she was so heavy. Depressing. But great to see her on B'way!

VB: Mr. Wonka, my name is Violet Beauregard... WW: I don't care.

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#46re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 5:46pm

Shoshana Bean from Wicked is constantly working out, eating healthy, etc. Also, if you saw the Broadway.com video of Victoria Clark, she was working out before the show. In order to do as extensive of a show as they do, they have to have the stamina, and working out/eating right helps that big time.

Love,
Brandon

JayKid Profile Photo
JayKid
#47re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 6:49pm

one thing to say about weight issue, the one time it's bad to be overweight is for your health. So I would like to see everyone who is overweight and unhealthy to lose the weight and be healthier. You don't have to be twigs, but being thinner for health reasons is good.

Other than that, I like seeing different sized people get different roles, give everyone a chance and have talent be the deciding factor, not looks.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#48re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 7:10pm

I'm a short guy, but im still young go growth is in store! I get very upset when people talk about my height or how young i look. I find it very offensive.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

#49re: Actors' size, weight, etc.
Posted: 8/3/05 at 7:38pm

yes i noticed that megan hilty was "average" size and she's beautiful. is it me or is even shoshana who i always thought was average size, getting smaller/thinner. i know she is a health nut but she always seems to be proud of her curves.

Videos