inlovewithjerryherman
#26re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:50pm

Buckely live, Paige on record.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#27re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:52pm

did anyone ever see Rosemary Loar perform the role? She was my teacher @ cap and she is amazing. Just wondering.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#28re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 8:53pm

I've only heard Buckley on the cast recording and on Broadway's Lost Treasures-from what I've listened to she was phenomenal. But that's not a big shocker. Saw Elaine Paige on the Cats video, she was phenomenal. But I saw Liz Callaway live, in a theatre, a few weeks before it was closing. She was beyond incredible.

I've always been a fan of Liz Callaway (her Young Sally is one of the highlights of the Concert Reocrding of Follies, and is a Young Sally that can't be beat). ANd to see her live was just, beyond belief. Powerhouse voice, yet sweet and not harsh or too brassy, and when you watched her Grizabella try to glide across the stage, it just broke your heart. Cats doesn't have much going for it plotwise. But Grizabella is the closest character to having depth. Liz Callaway showed that tremendously.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#29re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 3:34am

Maybe I'll get stoned to death here, but Streisand's rendition of "Memory" gives me the most chills than any other performer's ! And you know how much I adore Elaine Paige !

rockfenris2005
#30re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 4:01am

Elaine Paige. All. The. Way.

Would have been interesting to hear Judi Dench's rendition

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#31re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 4:18am

Debbie Byrne is the best Grizzabella ever. She has led a tragic life like the character so it fitted her perfectly.She was also the best Fantine in Les Miz.
And you should hear her interpretation of "As Long As He Needs me" on one of her albums (forget which one, i traded it with a visiting American for Parade). She is an amazing interpreter of tragic heroines. She likes to be called Debra Byrne now

Drought Down Under.

rockfenris2005
#32re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 7:15am

Debbie and Patti were the Worst Fantines IMO

I didn't think much of her Grizabella either

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#33re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 7:23am

what would you know.
who do you think is the best then?

Drought Down Under.

rockfenris2005
#34re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 7:25am

Note the words 'IMO'

Note them V-E-R-Y-- Carefully

It doesn't matter what I know, it matters what the opinion is.

And as far as my OPINION is concerned, I know a Lot

xox

Updated On: 10/6/05 at 07:25 AM

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#35re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 8:41am

As much as I despise the show and its score, nobody touches Betty Buckley's "Memory".

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#36re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/6/05 at 10:03am

"did anyone ever see Rosemary Loar perform the role? She was my teacher @ cap and she is amazing. Just wondering."

Rosemary Loar was the first Grizabella I ever saw. I was in the 8th grade and the tickets were my Valentine's Day gift from my parents. The 4th National Tour of CATS was the first "real" show I got to go to. A year later I saw the same tour and Donna Lee Marshall (that tour's original Griz) had returned.

On Broadway, I saw Laurie Beechman, Liz Callaway, understudy Heidi Stallings, and Linda Balgord. The only one of them all I didn't like was Linda. She played it like the feline version of Norma Desmond (which, although she was pretty good, I didn't think she was old enough to play when I saw her in the 1st Sunset Blvd. tour)

My favorite would be a tie between Laurie and Liz, although only on Liz's ON nights. I saw her a few times when she seemed to walk through the role and mark the singing, especially the climactic "touch meeeeeeeee!"

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Videos