Who was the best Grizabella?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#0Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:16pm

I'm curious as to who everyone on this board thought was the best Grizabella in "Cats."

My vote goes to Kim Criswell who did Grizabella when the show opened in 1985 in Los Angeles at The Shubert Theatre in Century City. Her voice, acting and stage presence was of sheer utter brillance. Her rendition of "Memory" was so brilliant....Her voice was so astonishing!!!!

I was fortuante enough to have seen her final performance in LA sitting in the front row. She received a standing oviation after she sang the song........literally stopping the show! It was an unbelievable experience!!! Even though it was almost 20 years ago.........July of 1986, I remember it as if it was yesterday. That's the power of theatre!

Shortly after she left, Sandy Edgerton took over the role. Her interpretation of Grizabella was completely differnent than Kim Criswell's.

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#1re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:23pm

liz callaway!

Mind is Mantra.

Tir Na Nog
#2re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:31pm

"liz callaway"

Totally agree!!! Liz was great as Grizabella! She was so touching. I saw Betty Buckley but I was like 5. People say she was the most haunting but who knows? I liked Liz.

"One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music". - Stephen Sondheim

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#3re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:33pm

Elaine Paige...the original and definitive (and yes, if we are splitting hairs, Judi Dench may be considered the original). A close second would be Laurie Beechman, may she be in peace.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland
Updated On: 10/5/05 at 12:33 PM

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#4re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:45pm

I can tell you who WASN'T my favorite...Lillias White. I love her and think she is brilliant, but her Grizabella was all over the place, and the constant riffing seemed out of place.

Laurie Beechman and Liz Callaway were two of my favs.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:47pm

Elaine Paige or Liz Callaway. I was too young to see Buckley.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TheComposer Profile Photo
TheComposer
#6re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:48pm

Elaine - the first Lady of British Musical re: Who was the best Grizabella?.
She was great in Cats.

Sant
#7re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:49pm

Chrissie Hammond. She played the part in London. Her voice reminds Bonnie Tyler or Alannah Myles, it's husky and broken, I thought she'd never be able to sing the last verse - but she blew the place away with it.

Also Lindsay Danvers (also in London) was great in the role.

#8re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:54pm

Elaine Paige- saw her and she was brilliant!

joeybiltmore1
#9re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 12:54pm

Laurie Beechman.

Memory has been acted impeccably (Buckley), sung sweetly (Liz Callaway), sung with technical perfection (Sandy), soulfully (Lillias) and with enough power to blow the roof off the joint (Criswell). But none could act AND sing the role so heartbreakingly as Beechman. The chills on her "tooooooooooouch meeeeeeeeeeeee" are still running through my body.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#10re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:08pm

Buckley.

It was a legendary, electrifying performance. I saw it about 1 month into the run. No one else can touch her, and have seen it with others since.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#11re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:09pm

re: Who was the best Grizabella?

There is no doubt whatsoever, Laurie Beechman. Not only was she a dear friend of mine but she was the ONLY Grizabella that made sense out of that role.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Tenorific2
#12re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:14pm

I saw Donna Lee Marshall in the 1988 tour, and her voice blew the roof off the theatre.

However, after seeing Betty Buckley in concert, and inhabit 'Grizabella' before your eyes, sans makeup and costume, is truly something to behold.

Tirso de Molina
#13re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:36pm

I saw both Paige and Buckley (showing my age here, I know!). I'd hate to have to choose between them!

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

Tenorific2
#14re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:38pm

Those of you who saw Liz Callaway-- I'm so jealous. I wish she would record "Memory". Can some of you share her interpretation of the role?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#15re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:39pm

Laurie Beechman. I saw her on the 1st National Tour when it played in Boston in 1984 and subsequently when she transferred to Broadway. I saw Betty Buckley in the original company, but prefer Laurie.

Did anyone see Lilias White?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 10/5/05 at 01:39 PM

Beergoggles
#16re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 1:40pm

Elaine Paige

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#17re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 2:41pm

I saw Lillias Dottie - not a memorable performance...

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#18re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 3:49pm

Elaine Paige is the ONLY person who ever made the role worth a damn, IMO. I love Betty, but I never cared for her Grizabella, even though it has become her "signature role" and "Memory" her "signature song".

#19re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 4:35pm

Another vote for Elaine Stritch. Sorry, Elaine Page.

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#20re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 4:57pm

I know I am nitpicking Beerchild, but it is spelled Paige, not Page.

BroadwayDoc Profile Photo
BroadwayDoc
#21re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 5:40pm

Loved Buckley, she was beyond amazing, but my heart goes to the late Laurie Beechman. She was such a lovely, graceful Grizabella.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#22re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 6:05pm

Just got to meet Liz Callaway last Friday and she was so sweet. She's got one of the most amazing voices, she sang here at my school...I just wish she would've sang "Memory."

Cheers,

C.

www.christopherviolett.com

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#23re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 6:11pm

Debbie Byrne!!

Her Grizabella on the Australian recording is the most touching I've heard and definitely my favorite recording of Memory.

Penny4Eyes Profile Photo
Penny4Eyes
#24re: Who was the best Grizabella?
Posted: 10/5/05 at 7:01pm

betty buckley...i never saw her but the OBCR is amazing!

Videos