pixeltracker

Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.- Page 2

Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a production.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#25re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 8:47pm

One of the times I saw "Cabaret" at 54, I had a camera with me (one that you use once and throw away) and I took a picture of my friend sitting at the Banquette (In the OPPOSITE direction of the stage, I wouldn't photograph a Stage, Before, during nor after) at any rate, I was told by an Usher that - since that photo would contain the lamps on the table it would be considered taking pictures of the set, So I apologized and even offered her the camera to destroy the film, and she was very grascious and didn't take it. I didn't think about the lamps, since they were run by the lighting crew and were a PART of the production, So - It is always good to take your pictures OUTSIDE perhaps with the Poster in the background or at the stage door, one more thing I'd like to add, It is always nice to ask if you may take a performers picture other than acting like a wild paparazzi when they come out a stage door, That way, You may allow them to smile, pose and GIVE you a GREAT picture other than just one of them hurrying away which is unflattering as well. That's my 2 bits.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#26re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 8:50pm

i imagine people video taping are quitet conspicuous or are using a really good digital camera on video mode with a huge memory stick.

Thats always been my theory.

At any rate i dont think it'd be that hard to do. I mean it is dark once hte light go down and i am not exactly staring at people's laps.

Personally. I took 2 pics but they were at the end when everyone was giving their bows. So the show was over. I mean it was probably wrong, but by that point the show is over so go kick me out if u want:)

Dollypop
#27re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/16/05 at 10:00pm

It's WRONG! If yoou were sitting near me and tried taking a picture with a cmaera phone I'd slap your face. I'm not kidding. I've done it before.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#28re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 10:16am

Statements like " I mean it was probably wrong, but by that point the show is over so go kick me out if u want", still shows a disregard for the rules and the law. And is disrespectful.

Just give the world Love.

actor51678 Profile Photo
actor51678
#29re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 10:20am

It's rude. It's distracting. It's selfish. It's wrong.

Ah well, that's life

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#30re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 10:30am

Oooo...Dollypop and kasim (thanks for posting) having a brawl...i'm all a twitter!

I'll get on the illegal bandwagon and add--it's also very uncool to take phone pics of celebs at the gym or in public--when the bf worked for Equinox, he said they had to implement a n ew gym policy because memebers were taking pics of the likes of Julianne Moore and Hillary Swank while they were working out--how low is that? I mean, would YOU want to be captured mid-crunch?

I'm not a picture-taker anyway, so the camera is always at home--with the cell phone--I don't even bother to bring them anymore.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#31re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 10:42am

I can't imagine that any picture taken with a camera-phone during a show would even come out. They seem to need sooo much light. I have to turn on every light in the room to get a good picture inside my house--and sometimes it is still a bit grainy. My phone is a year old...but I can't imagine they have come that far since. In the theatre with just the stage lights and spots I would imagine any pic would come out dark, grainy, or the subject looking like a bright white ghost due to a spot on them. I don't understand how someone could rationalize breaking the law to take a picture with a camera phone that won't come out anyway! Taking photos of any kind is wrong and illegal. Buy a program...the pictures will look a lot nicer.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Fosse76
#32re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:11am

It's illegal to take photographs at a show. Period. However, I don't believe they can legally take your phone or camera. The most they can do is ask you to leave. Only law enforcement can legally take something from you (of course, you can always willingly hand something over to someone else).

cabarethed
#33re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:37am

They can go through your digital camera or phone and have you delete just the pictures from the theatre. I've heard of instances where the theatre confiscated the film, developed it, and sent back the pictures that had nothing to do with the theatre.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#34re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:37am

is it also illegal to take pictures before or after the show begins? like, when there's just a curtain, or you can see the stage.

what about a picture of the orchestra once the show has finished?

i have never done any of these things. i was just wondering what the policies are.

also, can you not take a picture inside the theatre at all? what if i just wanted to take a picture of my friend sitting in her seat?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#35re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:43am

The afternoon I saw "The Wiz" and someone took a flash picture during "Be A Lion". The show was stopped. Stephanie Mills walked offstage while Ted Ross sat and "licked his paws". The orchestra kept playing while 2 ushers came down the isle, took the camera and asked the man to leave the theatre.

Just give the world Love.

iluvtheatertrash
#36re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:11pm

Although, I've got to admit, I love it when the cast members of shows ASK you to do it for their own personal memento.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

MackieManiac
#37re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:17pm

I busted a girl next to me video tapong at THE BOY FROM OZ. I personally grabbed her camera and gave it to the head usher at intermission.

Fosse76
#38re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:18pm

"They can go through your digital camera or phone and have you delete just the pictures from the theatre. I've heard of instances where the theatre confiscated the film, developed it, and sent back the pictures that had nothing to do with the theatre."

They can request that you go through it, but they cannot legally make you, nor can they confiscate anything (camera, film, etc.). However, they can call the police and the police can confiscate the film, but employees of the theatre cannot legally take possession of anything without your permission.

Most theatres do not allow photographs inside the auditorium, period. The show curtain is also under copyright, and therefore photographing it would be illegal. Some shows don't have show curtains, but theatre owners still prohibit theatres inside the auditorium.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#39re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:27pm

It seems to me a little bit dangerous for someone to be a theatre vigialnte and take someone's property...best to let an usher know and let him/her run the risk...I wouldn't snatch something from anyone--not in NYC kids...

Dollypop is allowed to hit, but only Dollypop!

javero Profile Photo
javero
#40re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:37pm

I'm curious to know now if there's any case law that touches on this topic specifically as it relates to live theatre. I'm no attorney but am aware of "fair use" doctrine when it comes to recording (or reproducing) copyrighted works for personal use or educational purposes, including dramatic works which encompass stage plays and musicals. I think of the policy of no cameras allowed as more of a courtesy to fellow audience members than any legally binding restriction on the part of the venue owner/operator. Then again, I wouldn't take a picture of any item in your homes or other personal property without your consent nor conversely permit it in mine. Now, I know why I opted not to go to law school.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 10/17/05 at 12:37 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#41re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 1:22pm

It doesn't relate to fair use - when you buy a ticket and enter the theater, it's under an agreement that you follow the laws and procedures of that venue. The works inside or copyright protected.

Most museums don't allow photography for the very same reason. It's intellectual property.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#42re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 1:27pm

As an usher, we were always told to confiscate the film---that was the price for breaking the law!!!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#43re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 2:20pm

what happens if you bring a bag into a theatre that has a video-camera in it that you weren't planning on using to film the show. it just happened to be in your bag because maybe you were sightseeing and filming things.

would it be proper to hand it over to the ushers right away? and just ask for it back when the performance was over?

Fosse76
#44re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 2:29pm

"what happens if you bring a bag into a theatre that has a video-camera in it that you weren't planning on using to film the show. it just happened to be in your bag because maybe you were sightseeing and filming things.

would it be proper to hand it over to the ushers right away? and just ask for it back when the performance was over? "

No. They have no legal authority to take anything from you. As long as you are not using it and it is in your bag, there won't be any problems. If you take it out and start using it they will ask you to put it away. They can ask to take it, but you are under no obligation to give it to them, and the most they can do is ask you to leave.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#45re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 2:53pm

THANK YOU FOSSE.

And to those who are just grabbing people's cameras. Well that is called THEFT! And i am fairly certain regardless of your intent, the person could quite easily press charges against you personally. And quite honestly could very well risk BOTH yourselves getting kicked out.

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#46re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 2:54pm

Also uncageg> that may show disrespect for the rules of the "theatre", but hardly disrespect of the cast. .... lighten up.

MackieManiac
#47re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 3:08pm

UMMM... What was she going to say... I was breaking the law and filming hugh and this beast next to me took my camera. She was sitting next to me.. I told her to stop.. she didnt.. so I grabbed the camera as she filmed again.. and I said I was turning over to the usher... I kept it in sight on my lap.. the usher reviewed the film and took the girl and the camera away.

I saw a crime.. I stopped the crime.

Plus it was so distracting to see the screen every 5 minutes.. I paid $200 for my seat.. she was wrecking my experience and breaking the law.

Updated On: 10/17/05 at 03:08 PM

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#48re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 3:37pm

well look at it this way, if you would have grabbed it, and she would have tugged, it would have dropped, your fault.

Just out of curiosity, why didnt you just go get the usher right away instead???

MackieManiac
#49re: Ethical question - taking one picture with a cell phone/camera at a pro
Posted: 10/17/05 at 3:44pm

Was in the middle of the 2nd row... in the middle of the act... no need to disturb others. She was warned.. she continued.. she paid the price. I hope she was prosecuted. I know the head ushe thanked me endlessly before taking her away.

Videos