pixeltracker

name a show no one knows- Page 2

name a show no one knows

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#25re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:38pm

a play called "Look Homeward, Angel" based on a novel by (I believe) Tom Wolf. performed that my junior year in high school. one of the best productions done there.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

nydirector2
#26re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:38pm

There are a lot of regional, college, camp, high school, etc. musicals that no-one will know. So can we change it to, say, Broadway shows you think no-one will know?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#27re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:47pm

"Look Homeward, Angel" by Ketti Frings, from the novel by Thomas Wolfe, should be known by MANY people. It's an often produced play.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#28re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 12:50pm

A show just a few of you will know...

Lionel Bart's "Blitz!" is one of my favorite forgotten musicals.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#29re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 1:00pm

actually pab, a LOT of people i have talked to had no idea about the show.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#30re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 1:02pm

i don't know if it's unheard of, but i will mention a lovely musical called HARBLEDOWN by the late mark houston.

Mind is Mantra.

JACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
#31re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 1:44pm

Dre, I was in Look Homeward, Angel too! What part did you play?

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 1:58pm

Stop! You're Killing Me! - Never heard of it until we did it in high school. I can't find anything on it and can't find the music either.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/2/05 at 01:58 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 2:20pm

I remember reading about Ben Hur. Wasn't that in Florida? I believe there was an animatronic chariot race.

I bet noone knows Dalby and the Sleeping Prince. And no, it's not a children's show.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#34re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 2:24pm

Jack the Ripper: the musical

I know of at least one other person who's heard of this one.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#35re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 2:32pm

"actually pab, a LOT of people i have talked to had no idea about the show."

Well, I don't know where those people have been but "Look Homeward Angel" ran on Broadway for 564 performances (granted that was back in 1959) and it was turned into a musical called "Angel" back in 1978 (a pretty bad musical I'll also grant you that). The "have you every touched one, a locomotive I mean" scene has been used in numerous acting classes over the years.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

timmetzner Profile Photo
timmetzner
#36re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:12pm

yeah "look homeward, angel" is kind of a high school standard now. its a good play. i enjoy it

and I would really be interested in seeing/hearing that jack the ripper musical! thats a pretty interesting concept.

touchmeinthemorning
#37re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:14pm

jack the ripper DOES sound interesting. and, if done to traditional musical theatre tunes, could prove an even worse idea than Carrie.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#38re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:15pm

"All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten"---doing it right now...

it's musical, but can be done as a straight play too...

I'm sure some of you have heard of it though, some people do it for HS theatre fests and stuff...

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

DiamondGirl
#39re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:27pm

"Church Basement Ladies," anyone? I thought the music was pretty catchy, but the book is rather uninspired.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#40re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 3:33pm

wow, I had never heard of Look Homeward Angel till that year. Actually, everyone who auditioned had never heard of it either.

that is so cool Jac! I was a boarder. With almost all the boarder parts (except for Fatty), we created. so I made up my own character. my best guy friend played Eugene was fantastic. he won Best Actor at the NJ Governors awards. and we won best scene. best year ever there.

-Dre-

~Curtains~

~A Tale of Two Cities ~

pab Profile Photo
pab
#41re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:07pm

I was one of the few people who got to see the musical "Angel", which was based on the Pulitzer Prize winning play "Look Homeward, Angel", because as a student at AADA, at the time, we received a lot of free tickets to Broadway Previews. Unfortunately this production went nowhere. It has a total of eleven performances (including six previews) so it actually ran for only four days at the Minskoff Theatre. It had a reasonably good cast with Frances Sternhagen (recently in "Steel Magnolias" and soon to be seen in "Seascape"), Fred Gwynne (who most people will know as television's Herman Munster) and Eugene was played by Don Scardino who unfortunately was in another flop musical, just a few months later, that I also happened to see, called "The King of Hearts" (based on the movie). Scardino, a little over ten years later, directed a brilliant production of "A Few Good Men" and more recently the musical "Lennon".

Updated On: 11/2/05 at 04:07 PM

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#42re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:07pm

I was in one of the few productions of SAYONARA. Most people have heard of the novel or the film by James A. Michener but few know that it is a musical. It's actually rather good but could stand to be workshopped again.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

WOSQ
#43re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:18pm

Apropos of this time of year:

Halloween with David Wayne and Dick Shawn played a pre-Broadway run at the Bucks County Playhouse in the fall of 1972. Music was by Mitch Leigh and it was directed by Albert Marre both of whom did La Mancha. The chorus was made up of about 6 dwarf men. I am not making this up you know.

It even had a tentative date at the Martin Beck to open on Oct 31, but it never got out of New Hope.

Then there was Rachael Lily Rosenbloom and Don't You Ever Forget It! which died the death of a thousand screams at the Broadhurst after a week of previews in 1973. Ellen Greene and Anita Morris starred in that one. So bad it was kind of good. Well, it had a few moments.

Doctor Jazz - Bobby Van and Lola Falana and just awful. Winter Garden, 1975ish, 4 weeks of previews and 5 performances. Bye bye.

Wild and Wonderful. A musical. 1971. A week of previews and one performance. Enough said.

Ari. 1970ish. A musical based on Exodus! What else can I say?

Oh, there's lots of these from the 70s

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

pab Profile Photo
pab
#44re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:20pm

"Shakespeare and the Indians"

derektravis
#45re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:24pm

my boss actually worked briefly on HALLOWEEN how funny is that! and as for Rachael Lily ... I have a windowcard from the show.. I also have windowcards for Wind in the Willows with Nathan Lane and Vicki Lewis... and Raggedy Ann the musical... also Dean: the musical. or how many of you saw METRO here in NYC... polish kids in a subway rock musical! HA HA HA

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#46re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:25pm

wonderboy: which production of SAYONARA were you in? I saw it at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA a few years bck and thought it was quite good.

I'll bet nobody has heard of ONE NIGHT STAND. Closed in previews 25 years ago this month. Music by Jule Styne, starring Jack Weston and Charles Kimbrough. It was the very first b'way show I ever saw and I loved it.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

derektravis
#47re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:29pm

hushpuppy: I saw SAYONARA in San Diego years ago as well and also really liked it... think it was the same tour... even havea recording of it... and as for ONE NIGHT STAND I was listening to the cast recording this morning on the subway

Stick
#48re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:37pm

Anyone ever heard of this.
"Trial By Jury" this was an opera written by a very famous pair of composers.
Their next opera after this was "The Sorcerer"
Can anyone tell me which pair of composers wrote it?

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#49re: name a show no one knows
Posted: 11/2/05 at 4:37pm

I've heard of a few of these: I have the recordings for Possessed, Nosferatu, Cannibal the Musical (I use the word Shpadoinkle every now and then) and the New Hopeville Comics -- none of which I ever really listen to.

Anyone know The Scarlet Letter by Mark Governor? - it's one of my favorite cds.
How about Young Thomas Edison?
Eagle Song? (Another one that's not too bad)
Forlorn Hope (about the Donner Party - seriously, though I guess if I know about Cannibal...).
Frankenstein: The Musical
How To Save the World In 90 Days? (or something like that - it was at the Fringe festival last year - it was great).

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Videos