pixeltracker

Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released- Page 2

Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released

Chrysanthemum62001
#25re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 1:06am

Nope, don't think so. I'm praying that if this one does well, they will release another highlights cd.

That was probably one of the best days of my life. Twelve hours of brilliant performances.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Tirso de Molina
#26re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 1:25am

LuckyDave,

Since the event was over 12 hours long, I can't even begin to imagine a complete CD release. And that's not even considering some of the copyright issues that are surely involved with certain artists' performances of certain songs!

You'd be better off trying to find a friend who recorded it off the live XM satellite radio broadcast that day and night. (and recording a radio broadcast for personal use is totally legal, so don't anyone accuse me of referring to the dreaded P-word!)

And Chrysanthemum, you're right: no question about it, attending that Wall-to-Wall was one of the very best days of my life. I walked out at the end thinking that life on earth doesn't get much better.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"
Updated On: 2/24/06 at 01:25 AM

Chrysanthemum62001
#27re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 1:28am

Totally random, but I will *never* forget the look on Michael's Cerveris face when he jumped the gun on "Color and Light". Priceless. He then added "I was so excited to get to that part." *le sigh*

It's so crazy. That was almost a year ago. It feels like it was just last week.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 1:32am

You can hear an MP3 of Graham Rowat/Jason Danieley's "Agony" (which is not on the CD) on Graham Rowat's site.
http://www.grahamrowat.com

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#29re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 3:51am

It is interesting that Cerveris' "Anyone Can Whistle" made the cut, since he wasn't slated to sing it that day, the original performer couldn't make it at the last minute and he happened to be in the wings and knew it.

Life on earth really doesn't get much better - I too will treasure that day for many years to come. Updated On: 2/24/06 at 03:51 AM

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#30re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 3:54am

Chrysanthemum and Tirso - I absolutely agree with you that that day was one of the greatest days of my life!! I had to keep pinching myself every couple of hours to remind myself that this was real, I was actually there, watching and listening to all these fantastic performers, in the presence of Mr. Sondheim himself! It was surreal and I feel so privileged to have been there.

I will *never* forget the excitement over the announcement that Angela Lansbury and George Hearn will be performing "Little Priest". The crowd was ecstatic!! That was amazing.

Oh, and no one ever mentiones it - but I thought Kate Burton's performance with "I Never Do Anything Twice" was sheer brilliance. She was beyond delightful!

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

Tirso de Molina
#31re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 2/24/06 at 12:04pm

BwayLover --

Total agreement on all counts! I have rarely if ever heard a crowd ROAR the way that one did when Lansbury and Hearn were announced; instant standing ovation. And then the way Lansbury stopped the show AGAIN after just singing her first line, "Seems a downright shame", in that inimitable voice -- the crowd just went wild at the idea that THE Mrs. Lovett was singing that music again, right there in front of them.

And yes, Kate Burton had exactly the right touch with "I Never Do Anything Twice" -- knowing and sophisticated, but never heavy-handed with the double entendres.

I also really liked Ivy Austin's Sondheim parody, "Another Hundred Lyrics," which was VERY funny.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#32re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 3/2/06 at 6:30pm

Don't wait for the release date to order this; they're sending them out very early. Mine just landed on my porch.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#33re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 3/2/06 at 6:36pm

oy. none of my favorite songs are on there, but i'll buy it for the unique renditions

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Chrysanthemum62001
#34re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 3/2/06 at 11:56pm

Oh man! In that case I'm going to place my order! re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released I can't wait! I can tell you Anyone Can Whistle will be on constant repeat....

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#35re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 3/3/06 at 12:04am

*sigh* I want to hear Telly's song sooo bad. I absolutely adore him. He's the sweetest guy, and he has an amazing voice.

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#36re: Wall To Wall Sondheim Highlights CD Released
Posted: 3/3/06 at 8:09am

I'm telling you, they ought to just release all 12 hours. How many CDs would that be? A million? And it would cost a fortune? I don't care, I want it.

Videos