pixeltracker

High Fidelity will be missed...- Page 2

High Fidelity will be missed...

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#25high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 5:54pm

you can't silence me, man! i'll speak truth to power!

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#26high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 5:58pm

"Press" is much more valuable than "advertising" any day. Wanna Be a Foster put it perfect. Anyone can put money into a show and pay for prominent advertising. Just because someone pays for a billboard doesn't mean people will like the play. It'll get people there initially, but if Press isn't generated, then people will stop coming. PR is usually much more valuable and harder to obtain than straight marketing. And the only kind of bad press, is no press. Even when the bad reviews came out, and then even with the closing announcement, it didn't drum up enough people's attention. Other than theater advocates on sites such as these, not many people knew anything other than it didn't get good reviews, and that's if they even heard that. I've even talking to many people that didn't know The Wedding Singer was even a broadway show, let alone closing.

And another good point is Apple Tree & Spring Awakening were opening at the same time. Apple Tree had high profile names, and Spring Awakening had the press behind it.

Just my random thoughts.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#27high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 6:32pm

The "press" behind SPRING AWAKENING did not spark a huge amount of tkt sells. Yes it did better than last week, but last week really was low.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#28high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 6:37pm

I also don't think you can expect a week's turn around time. Other than people living in NYC, you don't automatically buy tickets for the next week. From what I understand, within the first week of it opening, ticket sales period (for last week, upcoming week, and beyond) sky rocketed.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#29high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:38pm

I will miss it!

papalovesmambo
#30high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:43pm

you people refuse to see the truth even when it runs up to you undoes your zipper and drops to its knees in front of you! it was bobby, dammit!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31high fidelity will be missed...
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:43pm

Opening right before a notorious 3 month down period with a show that needed raves (which they probably knew they would not get) to succeed was not too smart. It had no names either on the creative side or on the stage so it was not a shock it did not succeed. I thought it would have lasted longer though

Hopefully, the composer/lyricist will not be soured on Broadway. I am curious as to why a CD of a show that lasted 2 weeks will be released but one that ran longer, had a title recognition & a superstar composer did not get released after being recorded

Poster Emeritus

magicfingers
#32LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/19/06 at 1:07pm

DUDE...how can you dump on a show when you NEVER EVER SAW IT!!??? I can't believe you have the nerve to come on and dump on the show when you NEVER SAW IT!!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself- at the least make up your mind for yourself. Do you rely on other people to make up your opinions for yourself in EVERTHING in life? It's one thing for someone who SAW HIGH FIDELITY to come on and call a show bad, say they didn't like it and provide reasons.

BUT YOU KNOW NEVER SAW THE SHOW SO SHUT THE F##%K UP you A@@##%%%LE!!!. That's what we call people like you from where I grew up. And that is a valid, educated opinion- based on SEEING your stupid comments on this board!!

StageGuy99 Profile Photo
StageGuy99
#33LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:45am

OK, so I saw the show and hated it, I also saw Wedding Singer and definetly enjoyed it. HF isn't closing because of press or because of advertisement, HF is closing because it's bad! Face it people, it was just bad bad bad theatre.... The movie is great fun, but the show just didn't rekindle that at all and the songs were forgetable at best... (thankfully, because I think if I did remember them, I'd go insane!) The End!

"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but it is also the return of art to life." -Oscar Wilde

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#34LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:52am

"BUT YOU KNOW NEVER SAW THE SHOW SO SHUT THE F##%K UP you A@@##%%%LE!!!."

unreasonable and kinda pathetic indignation much?

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#35LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:54am

I just wish I could've seen it, even if it was bad. Then I could say, yeah, it's closing cause it's bad. Now all I can say is, it's closing cause I heard it was bad.

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#36LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:57am

you not seeing something doesn't make it any less real. Plenty of people didn't see In My Life, it didn't make it any less terrible (but god damn did I love that train wreck of the stage). If a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it, it still falls.

ashley0139
#37LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:00am

I think it's funny how people are using the fact that they liked Wedding Singer and not High Fidelity for justification for the fact that High Fidelity is closing. They are two completely different shows. Liking one doesn't mean you will like the other. Like High Fidelity must be bad if you liked Wedding Singer but didn't like this. I was mildly entertained by WS but enjoyed HF a lot more. In my opinion, High Fidelity should have stayed open longer than WS.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#38LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:02am

Liverpool, do you have anything good to say about any show: wait wai tlet me guess what your favorite musicals are: ummm SPRING AWAKENING and GREY GARDENS right? Get a clue!

I saw High Fidelity twice, and while I admit the storyline was shaky and should have been altered quite a bit to have more of a "surprise/other ending" the music was incredible! I still have the music circling in my head. NUMBER 5 will a bullet through your heart...and obviously someone is recognizing the score since my favorite record label is recording this bad boy! And I have seen the worst of the worst: LESTAT, and this was a million times better.

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

papalovesmambo
#39renthead2...you are and a##%%#le!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:04am

you'll never know how much it pained me to do that but given the circumstances there was no choice.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#40LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:05am

No my favorite musicals (in order) are

Sweeney Todd
Caroline, or Change
Bat Boy
and
Merrily We Roll Along.

Are those the "best musicals" (well two of them clearly are)? Not necessarily, but they all have aspects of good writing AND good entertainment.

ETA i forgot to respond to initial question in renthead's post. I have plenty of good things to say about plenty of musicals. I haven't seen anything for a couple of months though because I've benn busy on my pentultimate semester of college. But i saw a number of (broadway) shows over the summer and a number of fringe/nymf shows in august and september that i have many good things to say about. Updated On: 12/20/06 at 10:05 AM

magicfingers
#41LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 6:30pm

liverpool writes

"you not seeing something doesn't make it any less real. Plenty of people didn't see In My Life, it didn't make it any less terrible (but god damn did I love that train wreck of the stage). I
I hope you're not in law school because your reasoning seems to be illogical. You SAW "In My Life", thus you are able to have an opinion that the show was terrible. You DID NOT SEE "High Fidelity" so you equating it with "In My Life" makes absolutely no sense. You are simply basing your opinion of High Fidelity from what other people have written or said.

Liverpool also writes-
"If a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it, it still falls" ---This has absolutely nothing to do with my argument that you should not pronounce judment on a piece of art beit theatre, painting or book without actually experiencing the work first hand. You are equating a tree falling ( which is a something that can be quantified scientifically) with an opinion on how good a show is. You are saying that even if no saw High Fidelity it would still be bad- Do you realize how idiotic and nonsensical this rational is?

Granted you clearly still have much to learn about life and will someday be on the receiving end of the sort of stupidtiy you are propogating on this chat board. You will also realize later on in life how narrow your POV is right now. I hope you do not decide what you think of someone based on what SOMEONE ELSE says. I hope you don't decide to choose whatever career path you choose to take- because SOMEONE ELSE told you to. And I hope you think before putting down a work of art that many people have spent many many years working on- simply because a chat board and some of your freinds don't like it. As a teacher I am constantly encouraging children to USE YOU MIND- DON'T LET ANYONE USE YOUR MIND FOR YOU!!

P.S. Why don't you go out and buy the Hi FI cast album when it comes out so you can hear first hand what all the fuss is about. Given your top favorite shows I would bet 1,000,000 bucks your gonna love the score. Did you know the same guy that arranged and orchestrated "Bat Boy" ALSO arranged and orchestrated "High Fidelity"...bet you didn't know that.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#42LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 7:05pm

this is too much fun. I love watching fan girls get all panty twisted.

And my logic, was jsut fine. It's your reading comprehension that needs some work. The argument that "you not seeing something doesn't make it any less true" is well, true. The example of the tree, goes with this the argument. You see. Not seeing a tree fall, doesn't mean the tree hasn't fallen (see, im taking an old prverb, "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" and making some changes too to add humor, to the argument, which still makes sense). And I was using a terrible show I saw, that many people didn't as a real world example.

Also, if you had read, my tree falling the woods thing wasn't in response to ANYTHING you said, I was responding to Freckles who said, "I just wish I could've seen it, even if it was bad. Then I could say, yeah, it's closing cause it's bad. Now all I can say is, it's closing cause I heard it was bad."

See. Freckles states that s/he wishes s/he could have seen it so s/he could state from experience that it was bad, instead of just being able to say s/he heard it was bad. I proposed an argument suggesting that just because Freckles hasn't seen something doesn't mean it's any less true.

Were to able to follow that magic? no? well i'm not shocked. But, good try anyway.

ok, everyone can go back panty twisting now while sit back and laugh hysterically.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#43LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 7:09pm

Hi Fi will be missed

It is a little strange still seeing the ads for it on subway station walls

Poster Emeritus

magicfingers
#44LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:25pm

By that line of reasoning one would also have to say that just because one has not seen something it does not make it any MORE true as well. So if you haven't seen Hi Fi it is very possible that the show is indeed much much better than you have heard ( which indeed is the case in this point).

It is also interesting to note that you judge one of the shows you saw is your favorite (Merrily) by a CAST RECORDING- since you were far too young to see it originally- and so few did. The word of mouth on that show was MUCH WORSE than High Fidelity yet it has made it's way onto your top 5 list. Interesting. As I said before, wait for the cast album before you decide the value and merit of this supposedly terrible show. It is has some of the best music and Lyrics of ALL TIME- and will be proven such on a recording.

Now if you try to laugh that statement off all I have to do is point to your Merrily recording and say- if they had not recorded that album you never would have know what an amazing show it is having NOT seen it.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#45LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:48pm

I've seen productions of Merrily. I know the problems with it. It has serious issues, but the lyrics and music are great, amazing even. The problem witht he show lies in staging the concept of the reverse chronology. It doesn't translate well on stage.

I won't be wasting money on the cast album of of High Fidelity. I've heard songs from it, they don't interest me. they aren't good.

FindingNamo
#46LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:48pm

"It is has some of the best music and Lyrics of ALL TIME- and will be proven such on a recording."

No. It does not.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#47LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 10:50pm

why can't i be that clear in concise instead of going on for 3 paragraphs about the lunatics. I need to work on just shooting them down and moving on like you namo.

rockfenris2005
#48LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/21/06 at 5:18am

Yeah, but some of them don't even stay down. If you shoot them, they turn into zombies and start chasing you :P

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

NickHyper
#49LIVERPOOL...you are and A##%%#LE!!!
Posted: 12/21/06 at 5:18am

Liverpool... nothing changes the fact that you still didn't see it. All you are doing is repeating other people's opinions, therefore, that makes your opinion on this matter pointless and unnecessary. I love how you comment on "fan girls" (which I am definitely not that) and yet all you're doing is repeating what others have said, just as if some fan girl who never saw Rent, but her best friends sister met Tim Howar, so now she loves it and tells everyone. I'm sure you have some common sense, so just use it in this situation, and realize you're wrong to post things like that about a show you've never seen. I hope you're not self absorbed, or we will never see such words come from you.

Videos