pixeltracker

OMIGOD! A World Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)- Page 2

OMIGOD! A World Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)

legallyblondemusical Profile Photo
legallyblondemusical
#25re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:37pm

Yeah the fact that they aren't going to take themselves too seriously is really emphasised in the beginning of the show. When Warner (noticeably absent from the video BTW) does his love song number, of sorts, Elle peppers the number with one liners. Good thing.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#26re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:37pm

The video is cute, I'll admit it. But even if the word on the street saying that it doesn't take itself seriously turns out to be true, I think it's still going to get on my nerves, just because that itself is only funny so many times. I liked All Shook Up because it laughed at itself, and The Wedding Singer was fun because it knew it was all camp. But after a while, there's no novelty in a campy show that "knows what it is," because that's now sort of the token excuse for campy fluff to be "accepted" as something lovable. Shows have gotten away with it in the past, but I feel like if it keeps happening as a way to be accepted, it's going to be just as annoying as things that completley suck. Sure, it's cute, but there are times where I can't let go of the fact that bottom line: it's bad, in a "this is totally ridiculous" sort of way. That's not closed-mindedness, it's logic. How can it not be? The only way to do this is to go fluffy to the nines. Maybe not a total disaster, but certainly not good. I draw distinct lines between "fun" and actually legitimately good, and one can absolutely exist without the other. I'm sure I'll get attacked with things like "well, how do you know it's bad if you haven't seen it yet?!" and blah blah blah, but I'm trying to look at some like, baseline standard for what is (perhaps critically) good theater. Something like this, by nature, isn't going to be that. If you think this thing is going to be well-reviewed, you've got to be joking.

Anyway, my main issue with the idea of Legally Blonde the musical is that to me, so far, I see no concievable benefit to seeing it in a musical staged form as opposed to seeing the film. If I want to see Legally Blonde, I'm just going to go rent the movie.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/30/07 at 04:37 PM

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#27re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:39pm

Aww, I loved those clips! Looks like a fun show!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#28re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:49pm

I agree with luvtheemcee, except the need for it to musicalized at all. People could rent DRS too, yet it's a popular show. I just don't think Legally Blonde is going to appeal to enough people.
Adore the dog though.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 1/30/07 at 04:49 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#29re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:51pm

I've never seen DRS on film; is the plot identical? I'm under the impression that it is for Legally Blonde, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not against musicalizing movies as a general practice, but this one sort of bothers me. It's probably partly because I (thought I'm ashamed to admit it) love the movie so much, and I doubt there's any way that this can be more worthwhile to view than it is on film. I don't get the feeling that having it told through song helps it as all, which I would argue wasn't the case with DRS. There's got to be some reason that motivates people to see the musical over the movie -- and when you're dealing with such a well-loved movie, the task is even harder. As a recreation, re-imagination, whatever you want to call it, of something so popular, it's almost got to be better.

The dog is cute. That's a HUGE chihuahua, though. Huge!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/30/07 at 04:51 PM

Yankeefan007
#30re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:54pm

The plot is essentially identical, aside from a larger subplot for Muriel and Inspector Andre. In fact, a lot of the dialogue is the same.

DRS isn't a popular show by any stretch of the imagination. To me, "popular" is something like Phantom of the Opera - continuously playing for years and years and years and gets a multiple-return crowd. It was a very clever show but without Norbert and the John's, nobody wanted to see it. Many shows are like that. Without a "star presence," you see how lackluster the material truly is.

The problem with Legally Blonde (High Fidelity and Wedding Singer had the same problem) is exactly what Emcee said. If you want to see it, you'll rent the movie for $5 (or buy it in the discount bin at WalMart for $10), not pay $111 for a musical adaptation.

Laura Bell Bundy is no Reese Witherspoon (though they're both very cute). It was the same with Will Chase: no John Cusack, and Stephen Lynch and Laura Benanti/Tina Maddigan: Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.

DRS was successful because of the chemistry of the entire cast. They worked perfectly. Updated On: 1/30/07 at 04:54 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#31re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 4:54pm

The DRS film is great and extremely clever. It was very much diluted and dumbed down in its Broadway incarnation. Legally Blonde was never a clever movie but it had lots of heart, and I hope that the musical at least captures that. It doesn't look like a train wreck, so far. It doesn't look very clean though in terms of staging and choreography, and (as previously said) Christian Borle's number is just a waste of time. It's tolerable. I just hope they do some serious cleaning.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#32re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:02pm

This looks like a touring "Barbie" show. Um... that guy is fugly. I can't believe this is opening at the Palace. Do they want it to close?

*** I think they need roller skates. Updated On: 1/30/07 at 05:02 PM

BroadwayBen
#33re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:07pm

It hardly looks like a BARBIE show. I actually took my niece to that piece of crap. What I like about what I see is that it looks like its a musical actually about people. I think the story of Legally Blonde is perfect for a musical, because there's a lot of strong characters, and there's a real journey for Elle Woods. I can't wait!

deadparrot
#34re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:08pm

Ig.

It's obviously a fluff piece, which I have no problem with. That being said, none of the songs grabbed me. At all.

But I hated the movie, so I'm probably not the target audience they're looking for. *shrug*

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#35re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:13pm

I think the premise is fine... but really it's overkill at this point. I can't distinguish this from DRS, High Fidelity or Wedding Singer. Yuck.

The New York Post's Michael Riedel writes:

"If (Grease)ticket sales continue to be this strong, expect the producers to look around for a bigger theater (more seats, more money!). The Palace is high on their list, should Legally Blonde, yet another musical based on a movie, go the way of High Fidelity," Riedel writes. Auditions for Grease were previously held at the Palace.

They should get Nick Lechay to be the leading man in this show. This show needs all the help it can get.
Source! Updated On: 1/30/07 at 05:13 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#36re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:22pm

from the clips this seems enjoyable. Its not life altering nor is it meant to be its fluffy entertainment so you can forget your troubles for a few hours.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

legallyblondemusical
#37re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:22pm

That Riedel quote means nothing. So they are looking at The Palace because it has high capacity, and?

Would you rather see this production of Grease in The Palace? :)
Updated On: 1/30/07 at 05:22 PM

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#38re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:23pm

Kate Shindle: DAMN. I'm not that familiar with her, but she sounded amazing in that clip.

I don't know what I think. I hope it goes more the way of DRS than "High Fidelity." Not the most loved show in New York, but a good run and, hopefully, a tour.

I want them to release a clip of this damn jump-rope number!! That's something I really want to see.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

shesamarshmallow
#39re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:25pm

CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER. I don't know why I love that song so much, but I'm SO glad it's included. Hopefully it's safe from the upcoming cuts...

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#40re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:28pm

Yep. I'm completely not interested in this. I agree with a lot of Emcee's sentiments. What's the point? Yes, I'm a "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" fan (I do like other shows that aren't movicals), but the chemistry of that cast was undeniable, and because of that, the show really worked. Not to mention, it's pretty darn funny (IMHO), and the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels movie may not be as well known as Legally Blonde. This just seems so...unnecessary. But hey, maybe ticket sales will prove me wrong. We shall see.
Updated On: 1/30/07 at 05:28 PM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#41re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:30pm

Eh, it's entertaining but nothing special. My favorite was the Annaleigh Ashford scene with Bruiser. It's great to see Annaleigh doing something new! She's such a talent.

legallyblondemusical
#42re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:30pm

"Chip On My Shoulder" has nice parts but when one of the lines is as forced as "I have a chip on my shoulder and it's as big as a boulder" you know something has to change.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#43re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:33pm

mejusthavingfun, that Reidel quote means nothing in regards to "Legally Blonde" as a show. The producers of "Grease" have wanted The Palace ever seen it was booked, and it's only natural they would: it's a bigger theater with bigger seating capacity.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Wickedfreak2
#44re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:33pm

To me this show will run for at least 6 months.
The show isn't going to get great reviews for the overall show but will get some good reviews for individual performances and that might save this show from closing.

legallyblondemusical
#45re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:34pm

"but the chemistry of that cast was undeniable, and because of that, the show really worked. Not to mention, ir's pretty darn funny"

Valid point, but I'm not sure how can you compare that to the cast chemistry and the humor of a show you haven't even seen?

SpamalotDiva
#46re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:36pm

I like it...
Im just not sure it will last...
but that dog will be the star f the show!

You Know you're a B'way geek when... Ok Ok I made this one up... "When someone asks what you want(for Christmas, B-day, Gala Event...) and you reply..." I wanna be a Producer!" Sammi bproudbblonde.piczo.com 4 sheet music

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#47re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:36pm

I don't think I could see any musical with Remix in a song's title...

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#48re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:41pm

I do not know why I am getting annoyed...but it seems like everyone is mad that the show is fluffy. All shows do not need to move you to tears. I say we need a show every season that can let you forget whats going on oustide, and just enjoy something cute and happy.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

legallyblondemusical
#49re: OMIGOD! A Word Premiere (Legally Blonde SF Video)
Posted: 1/30/07 at 5:44pm

"I don't think I could see any musical with Remix in a song's title..."

LOL Bobby, based on your previous posts about the show I really don't think this is the reason you won't be buying a ticket.

Videos