pixeltracker

My Take On Pirate Queen.- Page 2

My Take On Pirate Queen.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#25strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 6:15pm

Heh, I am a Theatre "Professional" too have been since I left school in the late 70's and am still involved with various productions (even a little with the one being discusssed). I saw the show too and thought it bland. If I hadn't seen if for free, I might have been upset at the ticket prices. It wasn't as bad as what some made it out to be but definately wasn't as good as the show's Fans would have you believe.
I wouldn't tell people who asked me NOT to see it but I might suggest something other that I myself found more worth the ticket price.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#26strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 6:26pm

All shows are going to have fans and the fans are going to love it. You can chose to listen to them or not. Fans of shows WILL be saying it is an amazing show even if you, personally, don't think it is. To each their own, yes?

danhattan
#27Positive thoughts!
Posted: 4/7/07 at 6:46pm

This thread just makes me sad. Logcabin, it seems you had good intentions and I do understand where you're coming from. I also understand why people who didn't like the show would take offense. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I love reading PQ reviews, good and bad. I have no problem with people who don't care for the show even though I myself really love it. I, like logcabin, do however get distressed over catty and incredibly spiteful comments about shows though. It is taking disliking and critizing a show to another level. And I do find that this form of posting is becoming typical of Broadway World.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#28strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 6:54pm

I haven't see The Pirate Queen so I can't pass judgement on it. But from what I have seen in the other Pirate Queen threads, it seems that many times people get bashed if they give a negative opinion about the show. Everybody has a right to their own opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think that starting a thread and just saying "The Pirate Queen sucks!" just shows immaturity on behalf of the poster. But if someone posts a constructive negative review and then gets bashed, it shows that the people doing the bashing can't take constructive criticism of their favorite show(s) and are blind to its faults.

To me, it's almost funny when someone reacts so defensivly after hearing anything negative about their favorite show. The way some people react, one would think the reviewer was attacking or insulting THEM.

And I don't think that supporting theatre means that we should support a show if it's crappy (and I'm not saying The Pirate Queen is crappy)just for the fact that it's on Broadway. We can (and should) support the actors in the show. But should we have supported and tried to save Good Vibrations and Lestat just because they were Broadway shows?

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 4/7/07 at 06:54 PM

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#29strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 7:08pm

Similar threads happened with Lestat (and hey, I and others got called 'vipers' because although I thought the cast was talented, the show was beyond redemption), Lennon, and pretty much every other show that didn't get critical acclaim. And all such threads tend to end sooooo well.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#30strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 7:09pm

What agenda could any of us really have other than to share with others our experiences at musicals, plays, etc...??? I don't really mind being called rude or anything else for voicing my dislike of something. The PQ was trashed by critics..let's just leave it there instead of starting the zillionth thread on personal reviews..but then again it's a public forum we can write whatever we'd like.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#31strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 7:11pm

see, and I feel it goes both ways. Both positive opinions and negative opinions get bashed. Rather than having intelligent conversations about what we like and don't like, it's rude.

I would like to see an intelligent, tasteful, converstation go on here about this show. But I fear that can't happen because people get smart and then it all errupts. But that's just my opinion

Updated On: 4/7/07 at 07:11 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 7:20pm

Intelligent posts don't start by saying we, along with "so called theater critics", are a monopoly of jealous people with an agenda.
If he liked it, good, but he can't expect to be taken seriously by posting absurdities.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 8:17pm

Well I have to agree regarding nasty posts. I read threads on this site for about 5 months before I actually joined and started posting. At that time, it seemed that there were more informative posts than nasty posts with asteriks for foul language along with bad spelling and bad english. (And I know I have spelled things wrong in the past but I try to correct my spelling if I notice it after posting. But my posts are not chock full of mispelled words). For the past year, I have been afraid to post my opinion in some threads for fear of the responses I might get. I have gotten very nast responses to some of my posts and have even received a few nasty PM's. Anyone who has read my posts knows that I try not to be nasty when I have a negative opinion about a show. I will say that I have said a few smart things about shows and subjects here, but I don't consistently do so. I do read the boards for the opinions of certain people here. And I would venture to say that a lot of them may not have the "history" in the theatre that Logcabin does, but probably have more insight and knowledge about what is happening with shows on Broadway and elsewhere. (I live in Denver and there are people on the boards that are not from here that know more than I do about The Little Mermaid. And I am close to the people who run the DCPA) And they are the people whose posts I really enjoy reading. Some of these people appear to just be passionate theatregoers. Others work on/with productions or work in the theatres as ushers, etc. And I am sure they know more than a lot of us and more than they post here.

I do not agree that a show should have a long run "just" because it made it to Broadway. My example of this is "Hot Feet". Having read the out of town reviews, hearing about it from friends who saw it, reading opinions here and finally the NY reviews, I still saw the show. I like to form my own opinion. The opinions and reviews on the show were so negative that I decided to go to the box office and just get a cheap seat in the balcony. After seeing the show, I agreed with the reviews and opinions. I am a huge EWF fan, so I knew I would see the show no matter what. But it did not deserve a long run. In this day and age when tickets are so expensive, I feel theatregoers deserved a much better production than what we were given. So yes, people will be out of work when a show closes early, but on the other hand, a lot of people don't have the money to throw around for tickets (Even discounted ones) and try to choose carefully about what shows to see.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but for the people who use foul language, very nasty comments and who attack posters personally, how do you expect us to take you seriously?

JMHO.....bash away at me!

Just give the world Love.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#34strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 8:40pm

There is a difference between what people consider constructive criticism and sugar coating.

I'm still extremely confused on why just because this is a theatre forum, people should tone down their opinions - from "masterpiece" to "f*** piece of s***" they are all the same, and if you really want to form your own opinion, what do you care about how nice, constructive, mean or nasty others are? Go ahead and form your own without censoring the others.

You really want to think that this board is any different on criticism than anywhere else?

If your cousin goes to see Scary Movie 9, will he really say "Even if the choices were interesting, the comedic timing was slightly off and I was disappointed in it overall?" Wishful thinking! People would be as nasty or full of praise as their experience was, anywhere. It is extremely naive and a bit ignorant to say this is "hate-land only" when a lot of productions this season were full of praise - people react as indifferent or passionate as they want to communicate it - it is Broadway after all, we're supposed to watch the best quality of live theatre and not expect any less.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#35strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:33pm

First, after seeing this show and being but one of a sold out theatre full of enthusiastic, standing and cheering theatre goers, I can’t help but to feel that these critics and some of the people on this forum have some other agenda going. I found this show VERY enjoyable, as did the entire sold-out audience.

Given that you have worked in professional theatre for over 30 years, I take it that you have some idea of what complimentary "comp" tickets are; papering services -- tickets that producers give away for free in order to fill the house so that the actors have an audience in front of which to perform, and to keep their attendance percentage up on that week's list of grosses. Producers also comp industry colleagues in order to fill the house and get people talking about the show.

Just because most of the seats were filled, it does not mean that the house was SOLD OUT.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/7/07 at 09:33 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#36strike the set
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:46pm

I think that COSTRUCTIVE negative criticism is fine. That doesn't seem to be what goes on here at any given time. I really did enjoy The Pirate Queen. Was it the best musical ever? No.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Videos