pixeltracker

LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray- Page 2

LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray

Yankeefan007
#25re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:17pm

Humorous Occurrence. While sitting up in the nosebleeds (prior to the show, I moved down to the front orchestra during intermission), I overheard a woman say to her daughter after she opened the Playbill "OH MY GOD, KEVIN SPACEY'S IN THIS?"

Turns out, she saw his photo in the table of contents. Boy was she disappointed when I said that he's not in it. Her response? "Aww, he's not in it today?"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#26re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:24pm

Haha.

Lucky you, Yankee.

I was in the balcony, too when I saw it. But I didn't mind it too much. I was with someone else and didn't see and orch seats open.

We might have tried if there were. But, altogether, they've designed the show where it's visible everywhere. Which not many set designers do these days.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#27re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:25pm

Haha love the Kevin spacey story.

look at my
ass look at my thighs
im catnip
to the guys

They chase my tail,
they drool and pant
wanna touch this
but they cant

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/
Updated On: 4/7/07 at 09:25 PM

Yankeefan007
#28re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:37pm

Foa - I usually don't mind the balcony at the Palace, but I was surrounded on either side by obese people.

mrs felciano
#29re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:40pm

So the cheap $40 seats are decent? Thanks for the review. I had no interest in this show but your review actually makes me want to give it a chance! One more question..how long is the show? I checked broadway.com but could not find a running time. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

Bit of a side track.. but you mentioned Leslie Kritzer is no longer playing Patti because it was shut down. Does anyone know why?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:40pm

If theyre the same obese people I saw in the lobby...then I really am sorry. LOL...and they were insanely obnoxious as well.

Yankeefan007
#31re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/7/07 at 9:42pm

It's about 2:25. The $40 seats are great, though EXTREMELY overpriced IMO.

Regarding Kritzer as LuPone, wasn't my business to ask why LuPone put a stop to it.

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#32re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 12:09am

Wannabe, with the sole discrepancy being our opinions re: Borle, we are very much on the same page on many aspects about Blonde, especially Bundy.

Yankeefan007
#33re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:44am

So you agree about her, as well?

Yankeefan007
#34re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:16am

Having just watched part of the movie (for the first time in a good 3 or 4 years), it's very visible what went wrong in the show....performance wise.

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#35re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:22am

YankeeFan, I think we were probably surfing the same channels. When I saw the LEGALLY BLONDE multi-play on TBS this weekend I couldn't help but think that it's timed to help generate interest in the property, although there has been no Broadway production advertising in the commercial pods. Interesting missed opportunity at one level.

Yankeefan007
#36re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:24am

Interesting thought. I'll agree with you that yes, it's a huge missed opportunity.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#37re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 12:09pm

While I didn't love the show itself, certainly not as much as you did Yankeefan, I give you kudos for recognizing both the strengths and weaknesses with the production. Most of the cast is breathing all of the life there is in to some very medicore material and it's high time people started to acknowledge that fact. As for your views on Bundy, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm still scratching my head over the fact that the book writer wasn't "helped out" a bit more since I saw the show what seems like an eternity ago in SF. From what I'm told, it's pretty much the exact same script. That and the fact they're still making Orfeh end Ireland shouting in to nowhere, confuse me most.

It will be very interesting to see what the New York papers have to say. IMO, they're a great deal more savvy and less forgiving than the SF critics. I'll agree it's a critic proof show but I don't see many out and out raves for it either.

Yankeefan007
#38re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 12:49pm

Let me clarify - I didn't love it, I liked it a lot.

The thing is that in a season with so many mediocre (Pirate Queen, bad (Times They Are..., etc.), and overhyped (Spring Awakening) new musicals, Legally Blonde (along with Curtains)actually stands out.

Nothing genius, just good, mostly clean, fun.

BTW - the whole Ireland song confuses me....well, the fact that they all break into song with no set up confuses me.

Anyone else think that Tommy Tune should have been brought in to doctor it? Updated On: 4/8/07 at 12:49 PM

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#39re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 1:13pm

Re: LuPone putting a stop to the show about her - I'd be pretty upset if someone made a musical which was a farce about me. I mean, the fact they're basically roasting me and making money on it, without even asking for my consent, I don't think one has to be a Diva to get upset by this.

Yankeefan007
#40re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 1:14pm

They actually did get her permission to do it.

PS: Anyone else notice that the title song/remix is more or less the same tune as So Much Better? Updated On: 4/8/07 at 01:14 PM

RentBoy86
#41re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:01pm

I agree that SA is overhyped. All the songs sound pretty much the same, and the lyrics are too poetic that they don't allow for any insight into character. I'm not saying it doesn't deserve to win, but I don't think it's the end-all for best musical. Legally Blonde is slowly growing on me. I also have a soft-spot for mindless fun. I use to enjoy WS before people put it on a pedestal.

jbdc
#42re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:38pm

I saw this last night, and I have to say I was disappointed by intermission. But Act Two was spectacular.

After the undiably spectacular opening number--the momentum crashed. The only real problem I saw was in the direction. As long as they were singing an uptempo song, things were great. But in ballads and scenes, it became stagnant. As in, there wasn't any blocking in act one. Paulette's song about Ireland, which already has the most mediocre lyrics in the show, has no staging. This should be a hilarious character number. Right now it's cute, not hilarious. She sits and and sings to Elle, looking her right in the face; crosses to center; crosses back to Elle, sits down and sings to her face. The song should be a showstopper, and Orfeh does great work with what she's given. But there is no behavior happening in any scene or song (except the dorm room) in Act One. Everytime the sorority leaves the stage the momentum dies--not due to any performers--they are all great. But there is no life in the staging. And back to Ireland--the tag at the end of the scene ends with a throw-away line and a transition that leaves Orfeh without a much-deserved applause break.

Ditto for no behavior happening in these songs: Michael Rupert's god-awfully staged act one solo (The most interesting thing happening was the woman in front of me using the light of her cell phone to find out who that actor was), Elle and Warner's duet at the party--that whole scene can be reduced to a crossover. And Christian Borle's number on the bench after the party--again--turn and sing in her face. That song sequence is better once it moves to the dorm room, but still.

I was so sad at intermission. And then act two happened. Once the too-long jump rope sequence ended, the show was fnatastic.

I hope the dead spots get cleaned up in previews. Because it could be an excellent show--but as is--no way this is getting raves, except for Laura Bell Bundy.

Updated On: 4/8/07 at 03:38 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#43re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:51pm

"PS: Anyone else notice that the title song/remix is more or less the same tune as So Much Better?"

I figured both out by ear on piano and yes, noticed that they're pretty similar note-wise. Listening I didn't hear much difference though. They just have similar patterns.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

neddyfrank2
#44re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:51pm

Yankee- Which did you enjoy more Curtains or Legally Blonde?

jbdc
#45re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 3:57pm

I think the title song sounds like "Comfort and Joy" from Bat Boy--at least in parts. And that's not a bad thing.

Yankeefan007
#46re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:14pm

Neddy - Curtains, by far. My favorite of the year. Great performances, catchy score, loads of great fun.

Legally Blonde is brought down by the uneven book, score, and Bundy's small performance compared to the rest of the cast of scenery chewers.
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 04:14 PM

SporkGoddess
#47re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:17pm

The score is better than I thought, but a lot of the songs are unnecessary, like Ireland.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Yankeefan007
#48re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 4:37pm

It's very uneven.

neddyfrank2
#49re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/8/07 at 5:53pm

Is the Love and War song still there that is song by the Greek Chorus?

Videos