pixeltracker

Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow- Page 2

Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#25re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:08pm

I'm not exactly sure how Equity rules work, am I wrong to think that even if Krakowski was secured for this project they still have to post a casting notice?
Eric, I guess technically she could do it, but does she really want to do eight shows a week (though I'm not sure how vocally taxing Miss Adelaide can be) AND shoot a sitcom every day of the week. With a career already established I believe she doesn't really have to though maybe she really wants to play the part on Broadway. Also, I guess we have to consider that sometimes she literally has two scenes on 30 ROCK except for the few episodes where she is part of a major storyline.
Now I'm also crossing my fingers for a cast recording.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#26re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:09pm

lol yankeefan

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#27re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:11pm

There's not a realistic moment in Guys & Dolls. It's a valentine to a Times Square that never really existed. It's why all of the descriptions of this production as "dark," "less colorful" have always worried me.

The '92 production managed to skillfully honor the look and sound of the original production, while seemingly minting something completely fresh. The colors were loud, the performance style was broad, and it's exactly what is required for '50s musical comedy.

The show is such a sturdy piece of writing that it can survive anything. But a "realistic" Guys & Dolls doesn't sound like a hell of a lot of fun.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 6/6/07 at 08:11 PM

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#28re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:28pm

While I've only heard good things about the London production, I can't help but think, "When you see a show light a theatre aglow, you can bet that it's probably Guys and Dolls! Broadway's biggest arrival is another worn-out revival 'cause there's no risk producing a Guys and Dolls!"

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#29re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:32pm

Yeah, Krakowski had a strip tease in "Take Back Your Mink". Second row was an interesting place to be. But then again, really, when is Jane not naked?

I don't think they can get McGregor. He has a lot of films coming his way and Othello.
Plus they can get someone better. BUT REMEMBER I SITLL LOVE HIM. ok good.

They should try to get Douglas Hodge again though. He was superb!

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

teka21
#30re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:39pm

G and D is one of my very favorite shows- 12 years is long enough between revivals for this classic. It's time for another generation to share the joy.
But Les Mis? - that was too soon.

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#31re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:40pm

the upcoming broadway season is not looking good, imo.
too many revivals (and not of the most deserving shows), and not enough worthy new material.

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

TapTapTapioca
#32re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:46pm

the upcoming broadway season is not looking good, imo.
too many revivals (and not of the most deserving shows), and not enough worthy new material.

This is coming from the person who is wondering why Stephanie J. Block and Linda Balgord don't have TONY awards for The Pirate Queen.

felineofavenueb- What song is that line from?

I shave me Xanadu every morning!
Updated On: 6/6/07 at 08:46 PM

Tchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
#33re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:06pm

Well I'm excited for this because I still have yet to see Act II, and I won't watch the movie just so I can see the end. And if Krakowski is in this, count me in.

"Wishes come true, not free..."

beautyofmydream Profile Photo
beautyofmydream
#34re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:07pm

Hooray! I'm excited!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#35re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:12pm

This could be a return for Harry Connick Jr. as Sky. How great would it be if he was Sky and Kelli O'Hara was cast as Sarah? I can feel the chemistry right now.
Updated On: 6/6/07 at 11:12 PM

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#36re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:18pm

OO Harry!! Good call!

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#37re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:31pm

wooohooo

this will be good fun
such a great show

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

ray-andallthatjazz86
#38re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 11:34pm

The Harry Connick Jr. idea is great, but I'd much rather see Erin Davie, Laura Benanti, Anika Noni Rose or Sara Gettelfinger tackling this role before Kelli O'Hara.
I wonder who could play Nathan though?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

teka21
#39re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:05am

I agree- Harry Connick Jr. as Sky is brilliant casting!
And I think Kelli O'Hara would be a wonderful Sarah.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#40re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:10am

Yeah I'm scared about casting for Nathan because he is a mixture of so many things. He has to be a slick gambler, handsome/charming enough to believe Jane Krakowski would be with him, and overall an excellent comedian. The only one that really comes to mind is Norbert Leo Butz.

Ray- do you just not want O'Hara because you find her boring? Just wondering if you saw Harry and her in The Pajama Game because their chemistry was amazing (that’s the only reason she gets an advantage for me). Out of the ones you proposed I could see Laura Benanti working the best. Does Anika Noni Rose have a legit soprano? But, for me the essence of Sarah Brown has already been captured so well by the original, Isabel Bigley (sp?), that I'll have a hard time listening to "If I Were a Bell" by another performer.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#41re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:36am

Jewishboy, I do find Kelli O'Hara boring (though I think she was impeccable as Clara in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA), but I didn't see THE PAJAMA GAME and I've heard very good things about her chemistry with Connick Jr. so perhaps you're right. I just don't see her having the kind of mixture of comedy, strength, and indulgence (during the Habana sequence) that I'd expect for someone in this role. I think Gettelfinger would be great and she has the soprano, I assume Krakowski and Benanti have some kind of professional relationship having worked together in NINE so I would love to see them both during "Marry the Man Today." I doubt Anika has a legit soprano but if they went for off-beat casting, I would love to see what she could do with the role (I'd see her having a great transformation from strong moral missionary to drunk-with-love woman).
To be honest, as long as Krakowski is involved, Melanie Griffith could play Sarah Brown and I'd still be there to see the show.
You're right about the casting of Nathan, and Norbert Leo Butz is actually a great idea, he has all the qualities you mentioned.

Updated On: 6/7/07 at 12:36 AM

RentBoy86
#42re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:48am

I just don't see how this show is a classic, but maybe this production will change my mind.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#43re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 12:55am

You know I really think that there was something special between Kelli and Harry. Because normally I would agree with what you said about Kelli not having the ability to mix the comedy in with the seriousness of the role. I mean that is how I felt about Kelli's performance in The Pajama Game when Harry wasn't on stage with her. But, every seen in The Pajama Game that involved the two of them on the stage together, especially "There Once Was a Man", the house was literally burning down from the heat between them.

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#44re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 1:08am

Krakowski please!

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

NathanLaneStalker
#45re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 3:08am

I can't wait for this!

I'd like to see Gary Beach as Nathan...

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#46re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 3:21am

Highly unrealistic wishing, I know, but I'd kill to see Hugh Jackman as Nathan. They've been linking him with a forthcoming movie remake for years, and I've always said he'd be an awesome Nathan in that. He'd be an awesome Nathan onstage too, I'm sure of it.

Except he's probably way too busy with about fifty-eight million other jobs, busy boy that he is. XD

ray-andallthatjazz86
#47re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 4:20am

How about Marc Kudisch or Denis O'Hare? I'm not sure O'Hare would play well against Krakowski's Miss Adelaide but just putting that out there. Marc Kudisch on the other hand would be commanding enough to make it believable that Krakowski's Adelaide has been waiting to marry him for all those years, he also has done comedy in the past, and would be perfect for a production of GUYS & DOLLS that is less cartoonish and is darker instead. I'd love to see him and Krakowski go at it during "Sue Me." Not sure if he has too much of that leading man presence that is more associated with Sky though.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#48re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 6:43am

Jane was great, u guys'll love her!
I think Harry wud be great casting for Sky
Even with a BAD cast (which I still havent seen one!) this show's gona shine cuz of the brilliant choreography! It's AMAZING!

Anyway... this is CRAZY but I just wish that they can have:
Chita/Donna/Carol B as Adelaide
Ben Vereen as Nathan

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Yankeefan007
#49re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/7/07 at 7:39am

Denis O'Hare as Nathan....interesting. I can see that.

Videos