little mermaid ad

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#25re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:06pm

i dont find it offensive... but i dont think its clever either, i think they could have done better. she fell in love before she had legs, i mean seriously.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#26re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:10pm

Yawn. The logo is really boring. I'm shocked Dinsney couldn't think of something more creative.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#27re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:29pm

I really do find it clever! I can't wait to see the show!

Row C!!!!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

kombatkoala
#28re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:31pm

They could have done better, but they could have done a hell of a lot worse.

RentBoy86
#29re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:38pm

I'm sorry but how is this cute or clever? It sounds like a bad lyric from a Britney Spear's song. I'm not offended in any possible way, but I just don't get the cleverness. I get the whole "no legs" thing, but how does that apply to show if she does not have legs? Is it trying to be cute by pointing the whole "mermaid" thing out?

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#30re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:43pm

i love the logo- i think it looks very classic, and rather lovely. it could be a little bit more bright and colorful, but i dont mind it.

thanks jordangirl for posting the picture :)

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

#31re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:52pm

I love mermards!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#32re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 3:55pm

I'm jealous MovieGuy!

I'm planning on buying the $40 tickets sometime next week.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#33re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 4:23pm

When do the tickets really go on sale?

The ad says June 9th (today), but according to articles on BWW, they don't go on sale till tomorrow. Is it by phone today and box office tomorrow?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jerseygurl
#34re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 4:27pm

i didn't find it offensive, just "lame."

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#35re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 5:33pm

I just think Disney isn't handling their B'way market in the way they should. I feel like at least with Lion King (to some extent) they were like "Ok, so we don't want to make fools of ourselves in this new theater world, so lets use our resources to do something smart.) Now it's just like an assembly line (not like it wasn't always, but you get what I mean.)

How 'bout this tag line:

The movie you fell in love with
The story that touched your heart
Comes to the stage this winter in a magical production "beyond your wildest dreams"

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#36re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 5:55pm

I think that people are going to flock to this show, regardless of how much effort the Disney folks put into the marketing. Why do something super creative when you have a name and image that people almost instantly recognize?

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

Boq101
#37re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:32pm

the logo is boring. I love how they keep it all dark in the middle but make sure to outline the bottom of her bra; I also hate the use of the adjective sparkling to describe a musical. I think that's a whole lot stupider.

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#38re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:42pm

Meh who cares if its boring, hopefully its a good show! I have tickets to opening night of the preview hehehe...

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#39re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:44pm

I like the logo. Simple is good. But the tagline sounds like something from a bad romantic comedy film. It's so cliche. Also "sparkling new musical"? THAT'S a bad choice.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#40re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:44pm

I think "sparkling" is in reference to the water.

Anyway, I like the tagline. Not a big fan of the poster, though.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

#41re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:46pm

Howabout they change the name to "The Vertically-Challenged Mer-Person"?

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#42re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:48pm

How PC of you, Local. LOL!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#43re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:49pm

I know sparkling is in reference to water, but to me it brings to mind images of seltzer (strange, I know, haha)

Broadway Local-best post of the day

Boq101
#44re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:50pm

I guess other words to describe water wouldnt make sense...

The Wet Musical
The Humid Musical
The Doused Musical
The Aquatic Musical

misschung
#45re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 9:53pm

I like your idea, Elphie

And I love that new song

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#46re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 10:10pm

Thank you. :)

I mean honestly, anyone over the age of 4 (especially girls) know and LOVE "The Little Mermaid." All they have to do is not make a fool out of themselves and they'll have a huge hit. Everybody will go and see it.

Sadly though, I think that "lofty" goal might be too far above Disney now. They'll have to really work to make it flop, and sadly, it looks like they might be doing just that.

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

misschung
#47re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 10:17pm

I'm wondering if they are going to turn it into more of a Hannah Montana style "girl wants boy, boy doesnt want girl" story - in a different way than the Disney version is. I dont know how exactly to articulate the difference, but I feel like the Disney movie wasnt really targeted at tweens. Putting the whole "falling in love" aspect right on the ad seems to shift the focus a bit.
By this advertisement it seems its more about Ariel's love story than about the whole fairytale concept. I will be so sad if this flops. And when I say flop, I mean without even having decent music and a generally good show.

But you're right that they just have to really not mess it up - I mean look at Beauty and the Beast. They added some not-so-hot songs to that and everyone I know, young and old, went to see it and really liked it

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#48re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 10:25pm

I know some people in the show - I don't think they're changing plot emphasis, maybe just publicity.

I mean, come on Disney! Look at what you did (simple, yet VERY affective) to advertize the re release of the movie a few years ago. Their ad played as follows:

Before a lion became a King
Before Aladdin unleashed a Genie
Before a Beauty tamed a Beast
There was...a Little Mermaid
Who dreamed of something more.

Right there they're advertizing 3 shows simultaniously!

How 'come there advertizing as gotten so bad recently?

misschung
#49re: little mermaid ad
Posted: 6/9/07 at 10:33pm

I actually don't dislike the image on the poster. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do with the marquee, publicity, etc.

This is my favorite Disney movie, this is not the time for the advertising team to have a brain fart - come on, people!

Videos