pixeltracker

Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?- Page 2

Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#25re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 6:53am

Geoge W saw Avenenue Q.

It was a big deal b/c no one knew if they were gonna change the line that name checks him in "For Now".

That, and the fact that it wasn't realy a show you'd expect him to see.

They didn't change the line, and he (at least pretended) to enjoy the show.

....but the world goes 'round

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#26re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:02am

I believe that Bill, Hillary and Chelsea all saw the Producers but on different days, not at the same time. I know Ted Kennedy also saw the Producers with his wife.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Mattbrain
#27re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 7:09am

I was actually there the day Ted Kennedy saw The Producers. It was his birthday. My parents even introduced me to him and honestly, I didn't know who the hell it was. Then I found out and I was like, "Holy crap." My prayers go out to that man.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

erinrebecca
#28re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 8:02am

Not the Pres., but I've been at three shows when Chelsea Clinton has also been there. Prior to hitting the campaign trail for her mom, she and her boyfriend attended NY shows frequently.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#29re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 8:06am

The Clinton's saw AVENUE Q.

Figures.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#30re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 9:57am

Wasnt Condoleezer at Spamalot while New Orleans was drowning? Or was she buying shoes?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#31re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 10:03am

Wasn't McCain in attendance when Lincoln saw My American Cousin?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Trekkie2
#32re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 10:08am

"Wasn't McCain in attendance when Lincoln saw My American Cousin?"

Yes, he went for his 80th birthday.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#33re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 10:25am

John Kennedy saw the Jule Styne musical DO RE MI in 1961. Supposedly the show was completely sold out, but the house manager asked one elderly ticket holder if she would give up her tickets for the President and she said she would providing that she could meet John Kennedy. She is said to have fainted when the meeting took place. The story does not make too much sense, in that the St. James Theatre would have to have security guards for him, etc. But security was not as tight back then, prior to Kennedy's assasination while riding in an open convertible limousine.

President Harry Truman attended a performance of CALL ME MADAM starring Ethel Merman, back in 1950. References are made to Harry Truman throughout the show where Merman plays an ambassador to a small foreign country who gets phone calls from the President. Incidentally, this is one instance where the movie version of a Merman vehicle did star Ethel Merman. Much of the film is faithful to the Broadway show. It is available on DVD from Amazon and is very enjoyable. The score is pretty much intact. And Merman's comic ability is evident.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 5/30/08 at 10:25 AM

Mattbrain
#34re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 11:58am

Yes, Condoleezer did see Spamalot. While New Orleans was drowning, I'm not sure. All I know is that she was there.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

theminutepast
#35re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 1:17pm

I believe Bush Sr., Clinton, and the current Bush all saw the original run of Les Mis while they were in office.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
sit&dither Profile Photo
sit&dither
#37re: Last time a U.S. President saw a Broadway show while in office?
Posted: 5/30/08 at 2:21pm

I was about to post that Bill saw Stones in His Pocket, but in looking up what year that would have been (2001), I realized that was the dawning of the new era. Joy.

Videos